Petzlife Care Gel/spray

Guest Swifthounds

Guest Swifthounds

I've seen lots of people rave about the Petzlife products and decided to give them a try. I picked up a bottle of the salmon flavored gel at Petsmart and so far it is well received. I'm "experimenting" with the IGs and Blitzen first, because they tend to be the ones I really have to keep on top of, so I'll notice the difference with them more than I would with the rest of the crew.

Has anyone used both the spray and the gel? Preferences? I went with the salmon oil gel because Biscotti (the mill rescue IG) is not a fan of anything with a minty smell.

Those of you who use it, where do you get the best deal on it? I will probably add it in to everyone's routine if I like the results.

Guest isntitgreyt

I use the gel but I'd like to try the spray. I haven't seen the spray anwhere though?! I bought it at a local feed store where I do M&G's since I get a 10% discount on M&G day. I have seen results right away. I've slacked in using it lately though. I'd like to know where to get the best deals on it too!!

Guest Swifthounds

My local Petsmart did have the gel with salmon oil, the peppermint gel, and the peppermint spray. Don't know whether that's true for other stores.

Guest eaglflyt

The best prices I have found are at Revival Animal Health (they frequently put it on sale) and K9 Power (they frequently put it on sale, too).

One note* ... be certain to follow the Directions. Petzlife products contain many natural things ... grapefruit seed extract, rosemary, etc., BUT it also contains grain alcohol. So, it's important to only use it as directed and DO NOT EXCEED the daily recommended amounts based on the size of your pet.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I have used the Gel and the spray and i preffer the Gel, Vegas has nasty teeth and when i remember to keep up with the gel i do see a difference.

I have a full bottle of the gel here, if you'd like it (PM me if you do).

I tried it on both of my iggies and they were not amused. I tried several different ways of getting it into their mouths (including on food) but no way. This is the salmon flavored gel.

PS - Don't know if you saw Healthy Mouth being talked about on IG-L, but everyone was raving about it - it's put in drinking water. It's sold by IG Rescue so proceeds will benefit the iggies. I think I'm going to try this, too.

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

The best prices I have found are at Revival Animal Health (they frequently put it on sale) and K9 Power (they frequently put it on sale, too).

One note* ... be certain to follow the Directions. Petzlife products contain many natural things ... grapefruit seed extract, rosemary, etc., BUT it also contains grain alcohol. So, it's important to only use it as directed and DO NOT EXCEED the daily recommended amounts based on the size of your pet.

Thanks for the laeds. I'll look into them. Just a few days in and I'm starting to see promising results.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the grain alcohol. I always scan ingredients in items and saw that on the bottle. Good thing my crew only likes expensive, hoppy beer and Jack Daniels Single Barrel... :lol (No worries, they only get close enough to sniff...)

We've used both. We stick with the gel because we've found our dogs HATE having the spray sprayed in their mouths. They don't seem to mind the gel at all. We brush with a soft toothbrush. Rocky & Maddy are every other to every 3rd day, Molly is every day since her teeth are so horrid.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest Houndie

Does the gel work very well if the hound won't let you brush his teeth? I think we can get it in his mouth, but he has a real aversion to the toothbrush.

Guest mcsheltie

It really works. Follow the directions on their web site.

The gel works better than the spray. Brushing will get the best results. But I have never brushed with it. I put the gel on my finger, lift their lip and put on their gums.

I do the evening treatment right before bed so it can work all night. I use the spray when I am lazy or in a hurry.

Guest Swifthounds

Does the gel work very well if the hound won't let you brush his teeth? I think we can get it in his mouth, but he has a real aversion to the toothbrush.

If you've never brushed your hound's teeth, toothbrush aversion is pretty common. Most racing greyhounds will have never seen a toothbrush (though I did know a trainer who brushed the teeth of dogs in his kennel) and very few living things enjoy a toothbrush shoved in their mouths. You can use a tasty treat and start conditioning your hound to accept the toothbrush, a bit at a time. If you start by just showing the toothbrush and work up to touching the mouth, and so on, it goes pretty smoothly. You may feel silly doing it at first, but dental health is vital.

Guest Energy11

I also use both. I use the gel on a cosmetic pad, and rub it into their gums, .... especially around any teeth I am "watching!" Then, I spray. I use this one day, and toothpaste and Chlorhexadine rinse the other. I do teeth EVERYDAY here. A lot of work, but worth it!

OH!!!! On Amazon.com, I found a refill for the gel! A LOT cheaper! We use the mint, not the salmon. I hate fish ... don't eat it, can't stand the smell of it...

Guest eaglflyt

Yes, the gel will still work, although not as quickly. ;)

Guest eaglflyt

Here's an article on brushing dog teeth: HERE

There's also a video on *how to* brush: HERE

Good Luck! It really is worth it. :colgate

Guest Houndie

Here's an article on brushing dog teeth: HERE

There's also a video on *how to* brush: HERE

Good Luck! It really is worth it. colgate.gif

Thanks, that is very helpful. colgate.gif

I had a toothbrush-aversive dog too who wasn't that way before. Found out she had a bad front tooth. Took it out and she lets me brush her teeth again. Maybe there's a problem causing the aversion? I know I was surprised when I found that out.

I use the gel on her. I started with a finger but switched to the brush quickly now that she lets me in her mouth again.B) It seems to be doing an excellent job. Her teeth are pearly white 4 months after a cleaning and her breath is nice.

Guest Houndie

I had a toothbrush-aversive dog too who wasn't that way before. Found out she had a bad front tooth. Took it out and she lets me brush her teeth again. Maybe there's a problem causing the aversion? I know I was surprised when I found that out.

I use the gel on her. I started with a finger but switched to the brush quickly now that she lets me in her mouth again.cool.gif It seems to be doing an excellent job. Her teeth are pearly white 4 months after a cleaning and her breath is nice.

Actually, you might be on to something. Shortly after we got our boy, about two months ago, we noticed that he had a tooth that was broken off and causing him pain. The vet removed the remaining roots of the tooth and did a cleaning while he was under. He may be associating the tooth brush with his sore mouth. Maybe we should try using the Petzlife on guaze or a finger for awhile, and get him used to that before trying the tooth brush. Thanks for thinking of this!

Guest BorzoiMom

I used it on Dutch while waiting for him to gain weight for his dental. I was eventually able to chip the plaque off his teeth and it shortened his anesthesia time. I'm using it now for maintenance, he allows me to use the toothbrush. I do think he licks most of it off though when I'm done brushing. I also have regular pet toothpaste for him and the cat.

Our little Perri, the tooth-brush aversive dog, was only 18 months old when she had a bad front tooth. Her canines were already getting brown so we did a dental on her. We didn't know until the dental that she had a bad tooth already. They took it out and Voila! I can brush her again.:)

I had been using toothpaste on her but she was still getting the brown stuff. Since starting the gel, no more brown. Her dental was on 12/18/09. The other 2 are on Oravet. I really hate applying it. Now that we're out of the paste they get brushed with the gel and still get the Oravet once a week. It's all right but I think the gel is better, especially if used frequently/daily.