Sutra Is Limping Again

Off and on since he dislocated his right shoulder, Sutra has been limping. I'm quite sure he's just overdone it in the yard or stumbled and caught himself funny...but I still feel bad for him of course. Yesterday was pretty bad and I almost took him in because he would NOT lay down, he just kept standing here panting. Deramaxx didn't seem to help like it usually does (I had given it to him around 7 yesterday morning). Last night around midnight I gave him some tramadol and got him all set up on my bed to sleep. He had a restful night and is walking better today - the limp isn't as pronounced, but, I can still see it. Mark thinks he's walking normally again, so, he's not too far off from normal (men - they don't seem to see the slight details of a gait). He just had a Deramaxx and his Fresh Factors and Joint Health tabs. He's resting comfortably on a dog bed right now.

I'm wondering if I need to invest in a different dog bed for him to lay on...he *usually* prefers to lay on a dog bed on the floor when we're in the living room, since the couch is usually taken. He seems to rest well when he can get a spot on the couch though. I wonder if he just needs a cushier bed for the floor, and one that's bigger - the beds are big round beds, but, his body is really LONG and he always seems to be hanging off of the bed on one end or the other. Being an old man doesn't help - while he's pretty muscular still, plopping himself down in the right place doesn't always go as planned :lol

Any bed recommendations? I'd prefer to have something that can be washed in the washing machine...on occasion there's a pee accident and it never fails that a dog bed will be in the way of the puddle :rolleyes: I can cover the bed itself in plastic, so basically I guess I need a bed that the cover is easy to remove and wash and put back together :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Check our Victoriapeak.com I bought the largest one 56x46. I also bought an extra cover. It has a 6' zipper concealed in it for wash day. I had to take some of the stuffing out of it at first so that Da Vid would even get on it..it is that stuffed!!

Guest MyBoys

How about one of those nice memory foam orthopedic beds, you can cover the foam part in plastic if need be and most of the removable covers are washable. WWW.DrsFosterandSmith.com have some really nice beds.

Hope he feels better. No matter how big the dogs beds are here, and they are really big, the dogs still seem to like to hang their heads off :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

He seems a little bit more limber today. I have a big square bed in the bedroom that is extra thick. I may try bringing that one out here to the living room and see if he likes that any better. Mark thinks I'm :youcrazy but jeez, Sutra's bones are old and his poor body has been through A LOT....he used to be FAT several years ago (like, obese) and then when I got him he was so thin he was nothing but bones...I think he deserves a nice plush cushy bed. Actually, all of my kids are getting old (Pinky will be 7 later this month, Ace and Fritz are 9). Can't hurt. Maybe I don't need to buy something new urgently, but I'll start setting aside some $$ for a super nice bed - maybe a Mammoth bed or something :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

FWIW, the elders here have always seemed to do best on firmer beds -- doesn't have to be memory foam, but firm foam of any type. Plus a blankie for nesting of course. :) Hope sweet boy continues feeling better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My Gracie has on/off limping from her shoulder. When we had it xrayed it showed bursitis. What appeared on the film was some white specks in the muscle tissue, much like when I saw xrays of my developing heel spurs - the calcifications develop where the muscle/tendon was strained, a residual from the healing process.

When she has these spells it's usually after playing/running too hard in the backyard (for like all of 5 minutes :lol ). She will often limp for 2-3 days and then over do it again.

I hope Sutra has something similar bothering him. All he needs is rest....on something very comfy.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My Gracie has on/off limping from her shoulder. When we had it xrayed it showed bursitis. What appeared on the film was some white specks in the muscle tissue, much like when I saw xrays of my developing heel spurs - the calcifications develop where the muscle/tendon was strained, a residual from the healing process.

When she has these spells it's usually after playing/running too hard in the backyard (for like all of 5 minutes :lol ). She will often limp for 2-3 days and then over do it again.

I hope Sutra has something similar bothering him. All he needs is rest....on something very comfy.

That sounds almost EXACTLY like what Sutra's issue is. Do you give her anything specific when she's hurting? Deramaxx *usually* works for Sutra.

The rectangular bed I mentioned earlier is an old rectangular canvas cover that I filled with really thick memory foam blocks. They're pretty much 3"x3" and they're as long as the width of the bed. So, the thing is pretty firm, but gives support.

He's moving around just fine this morning :)

Edited by krissn333