Epa Announcement Regarding Spot-On Products

Guest eaglflyt

Guest Bang_o_rama

Gina and I, both of whom have the background to interpret pesticide research data critically, did some checking and decided that the "spot-on" flea killers are not going on our dog or cat. They just seemed excessively toxic for what is generally a nuisance problem. I mean, it's FLEAS, not sarcoptic mange. Another concern we had was that the grey's lack of fat as compared to other dogs could lead to a higher serum concentration after application, since fat is often a sink/storage compartment for organic chemicals. Storage in fat often renders the chemical less dangerous because it is isolated from the rest of the organism. In this sense, the greyhound is smaller than its size.

~D~

Guest Energy11

One of the MANY reasons, I opt to use good 'ole, "tried and true," Adams Fleas and Tick Mist.

***DISCLAIMER*********** No, I don't work for the company! lol.gifeek.gif

Spot-On? Is Frontline an example of a spot-on flea/tick product?

Yes.

The review is here:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/pet-spoton-review.pdf

Nothing really major? Did anyone see something of concern? Looks like they're going to work on better packaging, instructions, etc. which is great.

Ticks are such a problem in this area that it's not a "nuisance", it's a serious problem. I'll continue to use Frontline.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest eaglflyt

I believe the main problems were with *Bio-Spot* brand treatment product. However all *spot ons* are included. They do mention that Frontline Plus had very few adverse reports.

Nothing in there that's alarming to me. Have used Frontline for years and will keep doing so. We have ticks in this area, and fleas ... no such thing as "just fleas" to an allergic dog or allergic person. Getting rid of a household infestation is a miserable business and not cheap.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How did Vectra (also has a new/second name now), the flea spot-on pushed by Banfield rate? I've seen some horrible first-hand reactions to that (not my dogs).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I personally never use an entire tube to weight on my dogs. With such short coat, there is just way too much fluid in an entire tube. I generally split one tube between two dogs, and even then I seem to have an abundance of medication.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Gina and I, both of whom have the background to interpret pesticide research data critically, did some checking and decided that the "spot-on" flea killers are not going on our dog or cat. They just seemed excessively toxic for what is generally a nuisance problem. I mean, it's FLEAS, not sarcoptic mange. Another concern we had was that the grey's lack of fat as compared to other dogs could lead to a higher serum concentration after application, since fat is often a sink/storage compartment for organic chemicals. Storage in fat often renders the chemical less dangerous because it is isolated from the rest of the organism. In this sense, the greyhound is smaller than its size.

~D~

I am a chemist. Based on chemistry I feel the same way. In fact I extend the same suspicion and scrutiny to "drugs" as well. I'm like Energy-Adams does the job for me.

Guest happygrey

Spot-On? Is Frontline an example of a spot-on flea/tick product?

Yes.

The review is here:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/pet-spoton-review.pdf

Nothing really major? Did anyone see something of concern? Looks like they're going to work on better packaging, instructions, etc. which is great.

Ticks are such a problem in this area that it's not a "nuisance", it's a serious problem. I'll continue to use Frontline.

I have to agree. Ticks and Lyme disease are endemic here in this part of the US and there's no way we'd forgo tick control products. My daughter has already contracted Lyme 2x (caught early on thank goodness!), my bro-in-law has been treated for it, as has my sister and one of her children! The previous owner of our house fell seriously ill with an advanced case of "neurologic Lyme" in the midst of our contract negotiations and was in ICU at a major Boston hospital for more than a week. :eek Thank goodness he recovered, but he suffered permanent nerve damage.

Lyme is a serious, serious problem here.