How Important Is Obedience To You?

Guest Jubilee251

Guest SaddleWags

I had my first grey in obedience. Simply because I could tell he was testing us.

The most important lesson learned, was his name. He got sit and down after a while. They are nice to know, but it's so important for them to learn their names.

And the bonding that happened while in class, was a bonus. He got my full attention for an hour a week, plus homework.

Guest jaws4evr

I used to really care about all the textbook commands and behaviors.. and always having herding breeds before this, it was a really easy thing (and important thing) to do!

But with our first hound, we're really enjoying having a gorgeous athletic dog, that's well adjusted just as she is. She doesn't really need a ton of commands because her manners are really good already, and she doesn't need tons of extra chit chat and activities to keep entertained. Between "play" with squeakies, chasing the other dog, getting pets and belly rubs, going for jogs or walks, car rides, dinner and sleep... life seems pretty fulfilling for her.

We do work on commands and manners daily, I just am not scheduling boring obedience time. EVERY TIME I go down the stairs we practice stay and release. If I don't, I'll totally get bowled over one day carrying the laundry! Same as getting out of the car.. we practice a few seconds of stay every single time. We use her name whenever we interact with her so she knows that really well now. I asked her to put her feet up on a park bench today just for kicks, with party time praise when she did as I asked *shrug*.

We have her laying down some of the time. I haven't even gone near the "sit" thing since ours has to roll sideways on her hip in order to lay down! Madame hound needs to do some yoga and loosen up those hips!

Guest budsmom

I'm with the majority here. I expect good manners, anything else is a bonus. That being said, though, both my dogs did go to obedience classes and are Canine Good Citizens. I think it's a great way to bond with your dog and build a trusting relationship and helps to cement everyone's place in the pack.

I disagree with those who think greys can't be obedience stars, though. I believe greys are every bit as smart as any other dog, you just need to understand what they were bred for and figure out how to motivate them. They are independent thinkers because their jobs require them to be, which makes training more challenging, but this in no way means that they aren't trainable. Even cats can be trained, given the right motivation and a lot of patience!

ETA: My cats aren't trained, at my house the cats always train the humans! laugh.gif

Edited by budsmom

to me obedience training a FUN and the way to CONNECT with your pup. aside from all the saftey issues which it discusses- stay, leave it, COME....there is a relationship that developes that is deep rooted. it's the relationship that i look for, everything else unfolds in due time. my newest gal, annie, is typical sight hound, independent, aloof, a little unsure of herself and a tad resistant. i'm going to do a repeat of basic intro(and we are only on week 3 and i know it) to really get her focused and confident. but i know once things click, she will enjoy it even more. it's also a positive way to bring their personality out.

Edited by cleptogrey

Jill was two when she came home. I took her with me to obedience to keep that brain busy and tired!!!!! As it turns out, she is smart as a whip. Her recall is superb. She comes when she is called. Period. She learned all that boring stuff as well as some basic agility in those classes. If I had been inclined, she would have been a great dog to do more with.

Jack and Josh on the other hand fall into the polite is just fine. Once they learned wait and go lie down well really there was not much more I needed them to do.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I think obedience training is very important too, not for the obedience itself, but because of the bonding and the relationship you build with your grey when you do the training. I kinda think 'obedience' may not be the greatest term here, it's more like learning how to communicate in a way that my dog always knows what I want from her (as well the other way around). That being said, I have learned that Lima Bean is probably flipping me the bird quite often :lol:

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

The only thing that is important to me is that they know what no means, and that's mainly for Ekko :lol

A couple of days ago she came through the dog door with a can of paint in her mouth. I told her no and she dropped it which is about as far as I'll get with her.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest cogito

All of my dogs will bow at 'good stretch', but it happened accidentally. 3/4 of them will get out of the seat/place I want on 'up, up'...though I can't remember ever deciding to teach them that. 3/4 of them will 'drop it' on command...that's the only obedience I really care about, since it lets me take things from them that are dangerous (or expensive!)

Guest MyBoys

I also agree that good manners are important, but to me most important is the wait command and stay command, it makes walks so much easier with 3. As for tricks, does opening a closet and stealing shoes count as a trick :blink:

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

At the very least, every dog in my pack is required* to:

1) Not bark unless asked or there is a really good reason (occasional barks in play are okay- constant yapping to induce another dog into play is not allowed). Luckily, this one is easy for me. I've never had a sighthound that barked more than occasionally, if ever, anyway.

2) Housebreaking is a given

3) Off leash training is a given- the dogs all can run loose in the woods or on beaches at a minimum, trained to come to a whistle on woodland hikes in absolute barren wilderness miles from a road where they can run and chase and so forth. The van (which I scratch up all to hell driving it through tiny ATV paths to get really remote) is "base" and I haven't yet had one that did not "get it" and follow the Whippet's lead. I follow my gut on when to let one run with the pack. Sometimes I just know it will be fine the first time- other times it takes me six months before I dare do it. I perfect the whistle training, the rest is natural. In town, they are leashed, though I work hard to train them that being of leash is normal, boring, and not exciting or scary.

4) Recall!!!!! Worked until it's reliable.

5) STAY. No negotiations. Stay is required. It can save a dog's life. Plus, it's how I get all those great photos ;)

6) No fidgeting, whining, or drama while being groomed or having nails done (Hey, a CERTAIN hound of mine, did you SEE that?! :rolleyes: )

7) Get in the bathtub. Stay until permitted verbally to get out. Shake off only when I step back and close the curtain

8) Kennel up on command/load up in the van on command (Not mentioning the one little spoiled brat Princess who does paws up then gets a booty lift)

9) Absolutely no pulling or obnoxious behavior on leash- another thing I have found pretty much a non-issue in sighthounds anyway

10) There will be NO out right fighting, resource guarding, or space guarding in this house. I don't care if my dogs give a warning or even a correction to each other for obnoxious behavior, but bullying is not tolerated. Because my dogs are pets, live "free range" and with a toddler, any dog that picks fights is rehomed to a more suitable home. I don't get dogs that were fostered, so I never know until they've been in the pack for a while. With the exception of the Whippet, all of my dogs came right out of a kennel, sight unseen. I don't know what I am getting until I get it home!

That said, compared to some, I let my dogs get away with murder. I don't care if they beg (from me, no one else), climb in my bed, lick my face, jump on me (again, no one else), or lick the baby in the mouth.

I see NOTHING wrong with training a dog to advanced obedience at any age, if you and the dog enjoy it. My dogs all know or are learning simple through advanced commands with a clicker. It's fun, easy, and keeps their brains stimulated. No such thing as retirement if you ask Monet. There is only one thing in the world that little girl wants, and that is to race/lure course. When she can't do that she loves to play, train, and practice being a show dog. When she wants to hang her hat up, I'll let her. So far my Whippet says retirement sucks. Who, me? 13? Old? Shut-up and show me the bunny! I swore his last lure coursing (just a week and a half ago) was his last, but... maybe I'll keep letting him practice- there's no physical reason not too- he is completely sound.

Then again I have other dogs who are DEFINITELY retired :lol They do what they want to do. I have one that is not into running but is a supreme food hound and loves learning parlor tricks. It is like magic the moment they "get" the clicker and you have opened this beautiful, incredible pathway of communication with your dog. Sure, there are other means of communicating, but wow. Dogs and I get a rush out of the clicker. My dogs learn weird random stuff with it like "show me your teeth" for example. Also, when I was pregnant I could ask my dogs where the baby was and they'd stand on their rears, not touch me at all with their paws, and gently nose touch my belly :wub:

I sound tough but I'm not really. Most of that stuff just falls into place. The biggest part is meshing with the pack.

*Exceptions may be made for certain spoiled rotten beasts in various areas

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

PS I train at an AKC sanctioned obedience club and I want to take Monet to show handling every week (I keep forgetting or having to skip, luckily it's drop in) just to get her used to free stacking and moving on the matting and used to the typical sounds of a large building with multiple rings and chaos- we only do indoor shows here mostly as it's too hot to show outside except in January. So far she isn't bothered by anything, but she has a stable, normal temperament. Most likely, I will have a professional handler show her to save money (travel, motels, etc) and finish her more quickly, but I can still train her and it's something fun we can do together. A couple of mine I plan to do some obedience with there, too, now that I know we are staying another year.

Guest bellenzo

I want mine to know basic obediance, wait, off (necessary for the bed hog), and lay down. When Enzo was alive he learned a number of tricks, but that was because he was so intelligent and needed the extra stimulation. My current two, not so much.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Oh, and training my dogs for their and my pleasure does not in any way mean I don't "like them just the way they are" by any means. It's just a different view point. To me the greatest joy in dogs is sharing life with them- doing everything and going everywhere with them and taking nature walks and playing on the beach and doing events and staying in motels. They love it. I love it. We're happy. As long as everyone is happy- whatever you decide to do is okay :)

Guest Giselle

Life IS training :) We live in a very artificial world and it oftentimes requires very artificial behaviors (whoever heard of a wolf weaving poles for treats?!). IMO, training makes life livable, and all my dogs are trained to make life easier on them and on me. And if the dog is more inclined to please humans, then, heck I'll take that drive to perform and create something more with it. But if not (i.e. Giselle), the basic 5 and household behaviors are all I need.

I aim for a basic level of obedience, because as others have said, it can be a life-saver.

For instance, my dogs don't (and never have) taken the opportunity to run out of the front door and escape down the street. In sixteen years, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times one has wandered out when someone has been careless, but on each occasion, he or she has come back instantly when called.

For the same reason, one of the very first things I teach is 'wait', which requires instant obedience and holding till released. This can save a dog who is about to get himself in a dangerous situation, for instance, if you drop the leash.

It doesn't do to become complacent, and to think that a trained dog can never get himself into trouble, but if they are trained, you're a long way towards preventing a tragedy, so why would you not? :dunno

Having said that, we each decide what level of training and obedience we require from the animals we share our lives with, and if you are happy with the dog you have, then it's nobody's business but yours if he doesn't do tricks.

My dogs are primarily companions. I don't need a dog who will bow to my every whim and impress my friends and relatives, I just need a dog who knows enough to be safe and keep himself (and me) out of trouble. For me, this means I have to work hard with my hounds to get them to the stage where they can be let off-lead for a run. This is important to both OH and I, and since we live in England, it's what we aim for.

I also like to have a PAT therapy dog and for that they have to be well-mannered - for my comfort and theirs, and the safety of those we visit.

One more reason to train a certain level of obedience is that it cements your relationship with your dog. Every training session flips your dog into 'please the human' mode, and unless you instinctively understand how to connect to your dog on a 'pack' level, this is your biggest help in becoming the good strong leader your dog will respect.

All JMHO, but it works for me. Seems to work for Sid too, since he often solicits training sessions, bless him! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Swifthounds

Oh, and training my dogs for their and my pleasure does not in any way mean I don't "like them just the way they are" by any means. It's just a different view point. To me the greatest joy in dogs is sharing life with them- doing everything and going everywhere with them and taking nature walks and playing on the beach and doing events and staying in motels. They love it. I love it. We're happy. As long as everyone is happy- whatever you decide to do is okay :)

Life IS training :) We live in a very artificial world and it oftentimes requires very artificial behaviors (whoever heard of a wolf weaving poles for treats?!). IMO, training makes life livable, and all my dogs are trained to make life easier on them and on me. And if the dog is more inclined to please humans, then, heck I'll take that drive to perform and create something more with it. But if not (i.e. Giselle), the basic 5 and household behaviors are all I need.

I was glad to see both of these posts in this thread. It's funny, but every time I've experienced a conversation about greyhounds and training in the context of adopters it almost comes across like training is the "T" word and obedience is the "O" word. I have connections to greyhound and sighthound folks in other realms as well as other breed and activities and that attitude seems far more prevalent in the greyhound adoption world. The themes tend to be: #1 my greyhound is too sweet to need training or #2 my greyhound has done enough - he's retired! Everyone is entitled to their position. These attitudes have just always puzzled me.

Training and obedience seem to be regarded as that in which you engage or avoid. I agree with Giselle: life is training. IMO with dogs, as with children, everything you do or don't do trains them. They don't live in a dog's world, they live in our world. We can train them to function well in our human world and keep them safe, or we can train them the opposite. Not training them is not really an option.

Similarly with obedience, I don't consider obedience to be strict obedience to absolutely every request, every time, without question. Any creature with a brain makes choices of its own and every pack has a leader. Dogs don't obey because they have to, or even because you ask. Where they do obey, they do so because the sense of order that gives them also gives them the security and predictability they need in this world.

Guest Jubilee251

I'd like to get Molly to a therapy dog standard too, and we're doing short sessions with her almost daily (sit, down, look at me, etc.). I'm just starting to realize it might take a longggg time for everything to click and for her to actually want to work with us. :lol

Edited by Jubilee251

Training and obedience seem to be regarded as that in which you engage or avoid. I agree with Giselle: life is training. IMO with dogs, as with children, everything you do or don't do trains them. They don't live in a dog's world, they live in our world. We can train them to function well in our human world and keep them safe, or we can train them the opposite. Not training them is not really an option.

Similarly with obedience, I don't consider obedience to be strict obedience to absolutely every request, every time, without question. Any creature with a brain makes choices of its own and every pack has a leader. Dogs don't obey because they have to, or even because you ask. Where they do obey, they do so because the sense of order that gives them also gives them the security and predictability they need in this world.

I agree. And the aim (for me) is always to train my dogs so that they don't obey because 'I say so', but because, through training, we've reached a point where they want to.

I'd like to get Molly to a therapy dog standard too, and we're doing short sessions with her almost daily (sit, down, look at me, etc.). I'm just starting to realize it might take a longggg time for everything to click and for her to actually want to work with us. :lol

Try clicker training. I'm a convert, after years of training my dogs by more traditional methods. :lol It took Sid a little while to link the noise of the clicker (which he hated so much at first that I had to set it on the quietest level and wrap it in a towel and hold it behind my back) with approval, and the treat to come. It was about 2 or 3 days, if I remember correctly. But once he did, he started to do what was required and then look at the clicker, expecting it to click. After that, all you have to do is shape the behaviour you want. :)

Guest Jubilee251

We just bought a clicker, and have been using it religiously! She picks up really quick on the "easier" things - like looking at me when I hold out a treat, targeting, or looking at me when I call her name on leash (NOT if there's a dog/squirrel/rabbit/etc. in the distance though!).

Other stuff (sit! stay!) is taking a bit longer. She's a 2 year old teenage girl - all confidence and independence and energy to boot! :lol

Guest Wasserbuffel

I've only had Jayne for a couple weeks, but training began shortly after we got her. It's very important to me that she understand what I want her to do, to keep her safe and polite and to help her bond with me. She targets well, just my hand so far, but I'm going to move on to another object soon. She knows Stay and Come, but isn't completely reliable yet. Most important for me is that she waits at the door until she is invited outside. She's learning that nicely.

I never really did much more than Wait, Sit, Down, etc with my greyhounds until Profile. The first time that he came up with his own trick because the sit he did (when I told someone else to sit) didn't get him a treat, I knew that this was fun for him. He knew Grin (which was fab for when we were working the Renn Fest and he had his picture taken) and he knew all the basics in English and American Sign Language. I tried with the others, but they weren't that interested. I tried with Daisy when she first came to live with us, but it was difficult with all the seniors in the house. We haven't gotten back to it, though she knows Sit and Down and sometimes Wait. She also knows that when she gets a Yum Yum she has to go to her towel to eat it...I'm working toward being able to feed her bones indoors rather than in the yard if we can get her to extrapolate the treats to mealtime with the towel.

Edited by GreyhoundNan

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif

She also knows that when she gets a Yum Yum she has to go to her towel to eat it...I'm working toward being able to feed her bones indoors rather than in the yard if we can get her to extrapolate the treats to mealtime with the towel.

Oh yes, that's a good one, isn't it? Sid knows that he is to go to his bed to get chew treats, although he always waits to be told, because sometimes, with some treats, I'll let him eat them elsewhere.

I'd love to be able to teach Sid to grin, but he isn't really much of a grinner. He's done a teeny one once or twice, but nothing like my princess Renie used to do. Sadly, there was a dog who really wasn't particularly interested in playing games, and I didn't have the clicker then, which is probably very useful for teaching 'grin'.

I don't particularly want or need "trick ponies" but have taught my crew a few things on an as-needed basis. The first two were "Wait" and "Leave It" for safety reasons. I need them to wait until it's safe and leashes are securely attached before they jump out of the car or go out the front door. When they find something dangerous, nasty or unsafe to eat, I need to be able to tell them not pick it up (or to drop it if they have). For my safety, I taught them to go downstairs ahead of me using "Go On Down" because they had a tendency to follow very closely and sometimes head-butt me in the small of the back as I was walking down the stairs. Raven is so mild-mannered and obedient that I ask little else of her. Tiny came pre-programmed with "Sit," "Down," "Shake," "All the Way Up," "Stay" and "Heel." He can be very pushy at times and often tests his boundaries, so I will make him go through his paces before he gets a treat or meal to help him remember who owns the food canister. He's gotten so good that when he hears me open the treat cupboard he will sit down and offer me a paw. :lol

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg