Shilo Has Lymphoma

packmom

Unbelieveable! That is what Dr. C wrote back. He is at Scooby but the e-mails flew and we got in to OSU the very next day. Shi is my 5th cancer dog but lymphoma is the 3rd kind and new for us. It is staged at 4A. Immunotype should be back today. He got his first chemo yesterday-24 more weeks to go. He's not feeling himself today. I've had dogs that flew through chemo with no problems and ones who did not tolerate it at all. He is in a blind study for a suppliment for the GI upsets that chemo can cause but, of course, we don't know if he's getting it or the dummy.

So tell us about your experience with lymphoma.

No experience, just :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

I have no experience with Lymphoma, either, but I do know of a person who lives locally with a grey what was diagnosed last April, who is doing FINE, and she is 12. So far, no new symptoms or problems. I am not sure if she went through chemo. I DO know this type of cancer is highly treatable.

Sending you and Shilo love, hugs, good luck and prayers! Dee and The Five

I treated Rascal for Lymphoma several years ago. He lived 15 months past diagnosis and he was 11 when diagnosed. He never had trouble with teh treatments but they just quit working eventually but we were able to go thru a couple drugs that bought us time.

Best wishes on a successful treatment.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest K9Cookies

Unfortunately, we have had experience with lymphoma. Bonnie was diagnosed in February 2008 and we started chemo right away, using Dr. Couto's recommendations. She lived another year exactly. Which chemo protocol is Shilo doing? I believe Bonnie started on the CHOP protocol first, but we switched several times (at least 3) when a certain chemo stopped working and her lymph nodes came up again.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me anytime. We'll be thinking about Shilo. :grouphug

Unfortunately, we have had experience with lymphoma. Bonnie was diagnosed in February 2008 and we started chemo right away, using Dr. Couto's recommendations. She lived another year exactly. Which chemo protocol is Shilo doing? I believe Bonnie started on the CHOP protocol first, but we switched several times (at least 3) when a certain chemo stopped working and her lymph nodes came up again.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me anytime. We'll be thinking about Shilo. :grouphug

CHOP is what we started. Lymphoma is known for learning to become immune to the drugs after a while, I hear.

Guest K9Cookies

We had a really hard time with the CHOP. I'm sure some of it was us, learning how to handle everything and dealing with DH's father passing away during that time. But, Bonnie did have a lot of stomach issues and was constantly peeing from the pred. We figured out that a 1/2 pepcid and also a Reglan (I think) helped with the stomach and nausea problems.

If you have any trouble, let me know. I kept a journal with medications given and problems we noted. It came in handy when we started something new or changed to different medication. That might be something you want to consider. I carried it to all of the vet appointments too.

Give Shilo a hug from us.

Guest zoolaine

Sunny was diagnosed with cutaneous lymphoma 3 weeks ago. He started on the CCNU but that didn't work for him so today he started the Madison - Wisconsin protocol. He has had 3 Elspar injections which worked pretty good for him.

He also has Protein Losing Enteropathy so that also is complicating things. He also fell and hurt his leg when he was really weak before being diagnosed and is still limping around.

Guest mybabies3

My Schultz was diagnosed on 11/24. Has been going thru chemo since then. There were weeks that he was not able to have treatment because his WBC counts were too low. He was on a four week on one week off protocol. The two treatments #2 & #3 did not do anything for him. The oncologist switched to a 5 day in a row protocol DTIC. His nodes went away for two weeks and all seemed good. Just last week his nodes enlarged again. All of the chemo treatments Schultz had minimal side effects. He handled them really well. The one he had done on Monday he did have lethargy, loose poops and loss of appetite. This was our fist experience of any side effects. The treatment on Monday shrunk the nodes a bit but not all the way. He will go back on Tuesday to the oncologist. It has been like a roller coaster ride. We have spent approximately $3,500 thus far. The chemo for lymphoma has been known to put a dog into remission for sometime. I just hope and pray that his remission comes soon. I wish you the best of luck.