Do Boys Roach More?

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Guest EmilyandSioux

I think it depends on the grey and how secure they feel. I catch my Sioux(male) in the middle of the night but not during the day. He has started doing it more now that he has been with us 4+ years and he was a spook when we got him.

Only one of my boys doesn't roach, all the others are roaching fools! I think body style, age, and ability are more reasons why some greys do and some don't. Copper - my don't guy - is 3 inches longer than Dude and 5 inches longer than the girls, and he's the oldest. He's also never roached since we got him in 06 right from that track.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I doubt gender has anything to do with it. My two current females roach a lot, Pooter more than Pearl. Doggie Dodger has not roached, but he has not been home even two months yet. He is getting more relaxed every day just not comfortale enough to roach. Maybe he never will, don't know yet.

Guest LindsaySF

It totally depends on the dog. Sophie (female) is a roaching fool. Teagan (male) roaches a lot. Honey (female) and Sooner (male) are broken and have never roached.

Guest Harry702

Harry isn't a roacher... it's probably a combination of his nature (insecure) and his comfort level. He's lived with us for almost 2 years and while he'll do a half-roach from time to time... we've never seen him do a sustained, full-on roach in our house.

Fosters have been all over the map. In truth, most of our fosters have roached within a few days... boy or girl. Makes me a little sad because I kinda wish Harry would let loose like that.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I think my girls are content and happy. Maybe Harry just doesn't like to lay that way. I KNOW my male Whippet is content. Not a nervous personality at all, and he's been with me for almost 13 years :) He only roaches if I put him in that position...

I think it depends on personality, not gender. A dog has to feel confident and secure to roach. My first dog, Jim, never did, though once or twice he half-roached and immediately fell back again. He was an anxious sort of dog. Jack roached only once or twice, and he was spooky by nature too. Susan didn't, but we only had her a few months before we lost her to kidney cancer, so she was sick, and new. :(

Renie was a roaching queen! She spent half her life upside down! She was a confident, bossy girl. Sid is also confident to the point of bossiness with other dogs, and he'd love to roach. I've seen him try, but he can't stay up, probably because he only has one hind leg? He hasn't learned the trick of wedging himself yet. Maybe one day!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Sunset123

Sarah tries so hard to...she just can't get on her back! If she tries and is almost successful she gets scared and flops back over.

Same with Arrisa, though sometimes she does a full roll in the other direction! Her work-around (because she loves belly rubs so much) is to scoot off the edge of her bed so that she can lean on it and get a boost. :)

My border collie grew up with the hounds, he roaches too. (Does that count)

My old heeler mix was an enthusiast of the Superman roach position. What made his roach so good was that when he got his belly rubbed in the right place his back legs would kick like crazy and he'd still keep one or both of his front legs straight in the air. Good ol' Blanco.

Guest twhitehouse

Out of my two girls, Lexi half roaches and not very often at that. Tess, on the other hand, that girl can roach and she's been with us less than a week! :lol

My girls are major roachers...the boys, not so much. House is the only one who occasionally will flip over on his back.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest vtgreys

Don't think gender has anything to do with it. My first 2 boys, Benny and Yoshi never roached (though I suspect Yoshi sometimes did when no one was watching). Jaxie never roaches either. Duke on the other hand is a roaching fool! That boy spends more time upside down than right side up. And my new girlie - well, it's too early to tell - so far no roach, but I have a feeling she might. Out of the many fosters I've had more have not roached than roached actually. The funniest one was a broken leg foster that kept turning the TV on or off with his cast waving in the air.

The girls are the multiple times a day roachers in this house. My boy will only roach about twice a year. He is so reserved, it still brings a big ole ear-to-ear smile to my face when he feels comfortable enough to stick all four legs up in the air. He's finally graduated to giving me brief kisses a few times a year. I do receive daily hugs from him.