Owners Of Poop Eaters

Maggie is a poop eater (Dusty's, not her own). :o She must have found a lovely treat this afternoon in the yard - she just puked, what smelled like the worst smelling poop, in the house. :puke She then went out and had very soft poop. I just sent her back out with DH and fed Dusty. I don't know if I should feed her a little later or wait until morning. She's hungry and knows that he ate. I'm hoping she's done puking but don't know. We cleaned up the mess (which was thankfully on the stone floor), washed the floor with vinegar and water, sprayed Oust, and sprayed the floor with some "odor" stuff I got from the carpet cleaning guy. Thank God we had planned to go out for dinner - my house still reeks :sick

To feed or not to feed tonight?

Edited by DustysMom

Time to get her a poop cup for her muzzle. My old girl Foxy was awful for that, nothing stopped her except her muzzle.

I'd only offer something really bland like some noodles until tomorrow morning.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Oh how I feel your pain! We didn't know that Tori ate poop until she puked it up on the living room rug :o Nasty, nasty stuff.

I would definitely go with something bland as mentioned above - noodles or mashed potatoes and plain boiled chicken or hamburg. Give her tummy some time to settle down - you definitely don't want a repeat performance!

We got a stool guard for Tori and muzzle her every time she goes out. At first I thought it would be such a pain, but it only takes a second (we have her muzzle on a hook by the back door) and it's well worth it to never have to smell that smell again.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

yeah, I'd feed, but I'd add rice to her food to help make her poo more normal. AND I'd buy that one a nice stool cup to go on her muzzle. I have 2 poop eaters and they do not go into the yard without their muzzles and stool cups on them unless I am RIGHT next to them. It only takes a blink of an eye to snarf up a turd. I so wish dogs wouldn't do this.

Guest KennelMom

Go ahead and feed her. She just got a bad turd that didn't agree with her stomach. Poo vomit is one of the most vile odors on earth. Seriously :puke

WAIT!!!!!!!!!! There's good-eating turds?????? :lol:eek

apparently...b/c some don't 'em vomit ;):lol We've had some masterful poo eaters in our pack over the years. Our old guy Grandpa, toothless as he was, never met a yard brownie he didn't want to eat. When he got older and had laryngeal paralysis we absolutely couldn't muzzle him. I remember once yelling: "Grandpa! Quit eating sh*t and get your fuzzy old @$$ back inside!" I realized if our neighbors were within earshot they must have had a :blink: moment :lol

Guest bigorangedog

apparently...b/c some don't 'em vomit ;):lol We've had some masterful poo eaters in our pack over the years. Our old guy Grandpa, toothless as he was, never met a yard brownie he didn't want to eat. When he got older and had laryngeal paralysis we absolutely couldn't muzzle him. I remember once yelling: "Grandpa! Quit eating sh*t and get your fuzzy old @$$ back inside!" I realized if our neighbors were within earshot they must have had a :blink: moment :lol

:rofl:rotfl Had to call DH in and read him this post! :rofl:rotfl

:yuck:chow

Guest 3greysinPA

:rofl:rotfl Had to call DH in and read him this post! :rofl:rotfl

:yuck:chow

I know.. i just did the same thing... i read Heather's post to my DH too.... We were both sitting here laughing... :lol:lol:lol

Ahhhh.... Thank you Heather... I needed that tonite.

Guest ThunderPaws

Five of my six are poop eaters, one pukes it back up once in a while. :sick Let me know if you figure out how to prevent it, other than poop muzzles (that they smoosh into the poop and try to wipe off my pants :angryfire ).

Gotta love 'em, though. :P

Guest Energy11

Goldie will eat poop AS IT IS COMING OUT of one of the others! We have to literally be right out there, or ... it's gone! UGH!!! She will even lick poop off the pooper scooper :-( ... this morning the scooper fell on her, but that didn't stop her for a second.

rolleyes.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gif

Go ahead and feed her. She just got a bad turd that didn't agree with her stomach. Poo vomit is one of the most vile odors on earth. Seriously :puke

WAIT!!!!!!!!!! There's good-eating turds?????? :lol:eek

Yup, I'd have loved to see your neighbors faces if they heard that one Heather! I am often very happy that the house next to me is empty as I tell my girls to 'walk away from the poop' and come into the house! Or that they don't see me racing down the ramp to 'intervene' in the poop eating behaviour!

Of all the behaviours of all the dogs in all the world, the poop eating is the one I wish someone would come up with a cure for!

My vet suggested canned pineapple for all the dogs. It has some effect that inhibits poo eating. I guess pineapple transforms into something yucky tasting. It actually worked but was a bit pricey to administer it to that many hounds. Quick cleanup & careful application of a poo guard works for our old man. That not always. Thank heavens he doesn't like to kiss us.

ETA: I still cannot imagine pineapple, even in its output form, tasting yuckier than poo. Dogs remain a mystery to me.

Edited by kudzu