Just Curious - Cats And Small Dogs

Guest Jubilee251

Guest Jubilee251

Just out of curiosity, do dogs who are too high-prey to live with cats react the same way toward small dogs? Can they differentiate somehow between another dog and another small animal (bunny, squirrel, cat, etc.)? And on the flip side - are greys who are friendly/good with small dogs generally ok with cats?

Not necessarily. Many greys do seem to distinguish between small dogs and other small animals, but that doesn't mean they are OK with either. Some greys cannot live with cats, yet a small *dog* is fine. Some are completely OK with cats yet can't deal with *any* other breed of dog, large or small.

In short, it just depends on the dog.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest isntitgreyt

Totally agree with greysmom. I have cat safe and small dog safe greys. I did have a foster once who was cat safe but hated my Boston Terrier.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

my boy vegas is cat safe (in the house) but not always small dog safe and our pup is only cat and small dog safe in the house anything running in the yard is fair game to them.

Guest isntitgreyt

I should add that anything small and fluffy running through the yard is fair game where they are concerned :) They haven't caught anything but they do chase cats, squirrels and rabbits. Thankfully the small fluffy stuff knows to stay out of my yard now !!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

No, definitely not across the board. I don't TRUST any of mine with either, but I believe I owned a small dog, all but one of mine could learn, and maybe he could too. These same dogs are fantastic with my 10 month old son. The cat zappingest one of all is the best with the child.

Guest greytmiles

I've had my darling Miles just over a week now, and while he's having a bit of trouble with our cats he has happily met many dogs of all sizes. From what I can tell, he can most definitely distinguish b/n a small dog and other small non-dog animals. Anytime he's within 20 yards of a dog (tiny or huge) his tail is wagging, and he's dying to introduce himself and play with his new doggie buddy. His reaction to dogs of all sizes is completely different than of that to our cats or to squirrels and the like.

just my 2cents..

My Teddy is NOT other breed/small dog safe but is perfectly fine with our 3 kitties.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Jubilee251

Thanks, guys! Molly is definitely small-dog safe and cat-workable. At the dog park today, she actually jumped OVER a little yapper who was standing between her and her tennis ball. :lol My mother-in-law just adopted a not cat-safe grey, and I was wondering if I should tell her to avoid small dogs.

Guest mcsheltie

I wouldn't tell her to avoid them, but I'd tell her to be careful and assume he wasn't safe until proven otherwise.

We've had fosters who let my puppy climb all over them but would zap my cats. And others who would sleep with the cats but would zap a small dog. I know it's already been said :) but even if they are okay in the house with either, outside is a different story.

My boys are fine with any small dogs, but not cats. Cats & squirrels are the most exciting closely followed by rabbits and ducks/birds are of no interest at all unless they are doing a lot of wing flapping.

I wasn't sure of how they'd be with cats/small dogs when we adopted as they'd not really been tested and we had no other pets to consider. I just muzzled them on our walks for the first month and it was soon apparent that cats were seen as prey (we have lots on our street), but more friendly signs were given for dogs we passed. I was quite nervous the first time they met a tiny yorkshire terrier but the signs were good and they just politely sniffed so they soon graduated from wearing the muzzles.

Guest grtgreys

Kevin used to be able to distinguish small dogs from cats. We would introduce him "properly" then he wasn;t interested at all. He was not cat safe - too high a prey drive -