Pedigree Overviews

Guest rockingship

Guest Elizabeth

Rockingship,

I have been really enjoying reading through all of the pedigrees of these wonderful greyhounds and finding greyt fun in seeing relatives of my own two mentioned here and there. Would you be able to do a run down on my two greyhounds as well? Although we adopted them from different rescue groups at different times - it appears they are related via a dog named Buzz Off. Small world eh?

Their racing names are: Splatter - Rd Brd Male and Ben That (pet name Britney) Brd Female.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elizabeth

Rockingship,

I should have read the other post first :blush

I'll forward my donation right away and submit the dog's information there.

Elizabeth

Guest rockingship

Elizabeth

Ben That, by Ben Sure x Bland Bee

This fine greyhound has the name Beckner stamped all over him, as he is the result of some very aggressive linebreeding of 3 great and highly productive branches of the superb Miss Judy family, to which most Beckner greyhounds (their names always begin with the letter "B") ascend-----and of which he is a member.

He appears to have been a capable and high class racer prior to whatever necessitated his inactivity for several months, and presaged a notable dropoff in his track performance.

Be that as it may, Ben That is a great grandson of the superb Benatar, who is the dam of Buzz Off, one of the most accomplished dams in the history of track breeding. Benatar is descended from Mary Moore, who is the dam of Boga (by President Day), an All American and a winner of the Wonderland Derby in 1975.

Interestingly enough, Blandish, the 2nd dam to Ben Sure, is by the Randle Brothers Dark Rumor-----who is from the same Miss Judy family as are Benatar and Ben Sure, and all the others we have mentioned.

Dark Rumor (Kelly Jones x Mandy Lane), the 2nd damsire to Ben That, carries the great Randle Brother's Gurley (Michigan Jack x Pay Joan) as his 2nd dam.

Gurley is also one of the great dams in history, and was as accomplished a track performer---having won the Flagler International Classic and the Biscayne Marathon Championship.

Her dam, Pay Joan, is linebred to unquestionably the greatest of all the Miss Judy family descendents, 2 time American Derby winner, Real Huntsman (Never Roll x Medora).

Gurley is the direct female ancestor to the All Americans Kail (Power Reach x Scandia), Randy Handy (Rudy Vallie x Unique) and Dungaree (Big Tar x Riley), also a Rural Rube Award winner.......as well as two fine contemporary sires, and excellent sire of dams, the littermates Pat C Whats Best and Pat C Whats On (Pat C Best Yet x What Goes)

Damsire to Ben That--- Beasley---- is also from the Miss Judy family-----which breaks off into 2 different branches, through the littermates by Transportation x Flirty Susan......

.......Festival, who is the direct ancestor to Benatar and her descendents.......

.......and Darkus, the direct ancestor to Beasley. (their half sibling, May Day, by Steppin Frank, is the direct female line to none other than the great and monumental sire, HBs Commander)

This Darkus branch is the family of Bubbling Beauty (Ks Flak x Jolly Reid), who was a perennial stakes campaigner in New England during the early 80s, as well as the useful sire Butter Pat (Unruly x Butter) and contemporary sires Flying Bookie (Bara Buzz x Bet Wrong) and Bar Blur (My Unicorn x Barstow).

Ben That is by Ben Sure, a son of the great Buzz Off, one of the finest jewels in the crown of Miss Judy and the dam of Blendway, Bartie, and Buzz Around, who redefined the meaning of the term "being from a great cross", with their multiple stakes winning and All American performances.

Ben That is literally imbued with the blood of the great Miss Judy.

Edited by rockingship

Guest Elizabeth

Oh Rockingship, thank you so much!

I absolutely got chills reading about Ben That's (pet name Brittney) history. We were told she was a kennel favorite when we adopted her, and she absolutely behaves as if she's decended from royalty around here :)

She has the sweetest temperament and good nature of any dog I've ever owned and yet - she asserts her position of alpha dog (over our other grey Splatter) with the most class and poise that I've ever seen. Never overdoes it, just enough to take care of business and then it's back to fun and cuddles.

Learning about the backgrounds of these dogs is so much fun. Thanks again!

Elizabeth

Guest rockingship

Elizabeth, I'm sorry that I referred to Brittney as a "he"-----I should know better. I handled Bubbling Beauty for a while when she was older and not so keen, but still able to beat the best greyhounds around when she got the urge. She was a real sweetheart, as were all her siblings. Just good natured, loveable and well-mannered greyhounds. Class through and through.

Edited by rockingship

Guest Guest

Hi Rock,

No problem about calling Brittney a he. With a first name like Ben I'm sure it happened lots during her racing days too :)

Were you able to come up with anything on our other grey Splatter by Fortress and Miss Espy?

Guest rockingship

I'm trying to dog up info on Early Flyer in her damline....I know I have it somewhere, but I haven't found it. Without the extended damline, I can't tell what family the greyhound is from-----which is the key to the whole explanation, of course. Naturally, that is sometimes the most obscurely documented area of the pedigree, because not every branch of every family is prolific (some are just the lines of very small breeders).

Good news is that an Australian friend had the info on Sherpays greyhound, which I will begin to research today.

Guest Elizabeth

That's great news about Sherpays!

I can see what you mean about the info-trail kind of stopping after Early Flyer. I hope you can find something, but I totally understand if you can't. I really appreciate the hard work you've put into it so far, and the information you've been able to share.

Thanks again,

Elizabeth

Guest rockingship

Sherpays

Pa's Marlin Frost, by Greys Frostbite x Judge Mary

This greyhound comes from a most influential and interesting female family, because the 5th dam to Pa's Marlin Frost, is Girvan Kate----who is the full sibling to English Derby winner and damsire exraordinaire, Own Pride----who can be seen 3rd damsire and the maternal grandsire to Fortress, the sire of Greys Frostbite.

This female family goes back to a turn of the century female named Dolce, but is best known to us through the brood matron, Narrogar Ann (Dutton Swordfish x Winnie of Berrow), who was the dam of the highly prolific sire, Endless Gossip, by Priceless Border.

Endless Gossip is the sire of the highly influential brood matron, Sallys Gossip (x Castle Yard), who is the dam of Printers Prince, (by Hi There) a sire of monumental importance to the racing greyhound.

Sallys Gossip is also the tail female ancestor to the great Share Profit (Monalee Champion x Ballybeg Pride), a sire of monumental importance to the American Racing greyhound.

In Ireland, this Dolce female family of Pa's Marlin Frost is also the family of the great and ill-fated Some Picture (Slaneyside Hare x Spring Season), as they each share the same common tail female ancestor, Dancing Smart, by Westbury Sammy x Lady Dancer.

Westbury Sammy was an Australian import to the UK.

Some Picture was a GR1 stakes winner in England, and a sire of immense potential, when he tragically succumbed to what I seem to recall was a pulmonary anomaly of some sort.

Trade Gold, the 3rd dam to Pa's Marlin Frost, makes him a close relative to some of the best greyhounds that have emerged in recent years in the Emerald Isle... as her daughter, Trade Satin, the 2nd dam to Pa's Marlin Frost, is a member of a superb litter which included the successful racers and top sires Trade Union, Trade Exchange and Trade Official .....the latter being the sire of the great English and Scottish Derby winner, Chart King (x Clarinka Sand).

Golden Trader, (EJs Douglas x Trade Agreement), another close relative of Pa's Marlin Frost, is at stud today in the USA.

Damsire to Pa's Marlin Frost is the Australian Frightful Flash (Eaglehawk Star x Leggy Waitress) who traces in tail female to a sister of tell You Why, named Early Jet (Rocket Jet x Gorgeous Babe). Tell You Why is the most important track sire in our modern US racing history.

Greys Frostbite, the sire of Pa's Marlin Frost, is a son of the astonishingly prolific Greys Julianna (Ks Flak x Representation), and a member of a fabulous litter by Fortress.

The female family is best known to us through the sire exploits of the great Greys Statesman, a littermate to Greys Julianna.

Prior to the emergence of Greys Statesman and his dam Representation, Stride Along (Share Profit x Tish The Dish) had emerged from this family and had given notice that it was coming into a new realm of unique expression, after winning a rendition of the $100,000 Grady Sprint Championship at Revere, in the early 80s.

While it is true that none of us can "choose our relatives", Pa's Marlin Frost couldn't have chosen many better ones.

Edited by rockingship

Guest rockingship

Konasmom

MDM Wildthang, by Ps Skidway x Ps Beta Star

This greyhound is another from the Wild Nancy female family of Sheffeld Lass, and through its most prolific US branch, by way of Wild Nancy daughter Lindy Lil, who is the 8th dam to MDM Wildthang.

Lindy Lil was a daughter of Koliga (Texas Comrade x Paree), an American Derby winner in 1955, and one of the first great greyhounds of legendary, Hall of Fame breeder, RL'Tex'Block, whose famous "Jones" family greyhounds, have been among the most influential in the history of track racing and breeding.

While Koliga and Jones family matriarch, Elsie Jones (Julius Caesar x Hurry Bones), are not from the same family, their dams share many interesting commonalities, and we can see that the attempt has been made, in the pedigree of MDM Wildthang, to linebreed two great sons of Hoefer and Elsie Jones----Kelly Jones, who is the paternal great grandsire to MDM Wildthang's 2nd dam, Now Hear This-----and Onie Jones, who is sire of the great Ps Skelly, 2nd dam to Ps Skidway.

And if we look at VV County Barn, the damsire to MDM Wildthang, we can see that he is also a member of the same Wild Nancy family-----through the female siblings by Caprioled x Lindy Lil, LLs Zady and LLs Deeny.----who anchor the tail lines of both of Ps Beta Star's parents.

This doubling of this fine female family is not without precedent, and we can see the same concept at work in the pedigrees of fine greyhounds like Graceland Blaze, Twilite Reward, Big Zee, Ole Harry, Tommy Quick, San Tan Rampage, Elway Drive, Be My Bubba, RDs Bugsy, and San Rebel----to mention only a few of the well-performed sires who carry a double doses of Lindy Lil.

While we have previously covered the many Wild Nancy descendents who were highly influential producers, it is worth repeating that today, it's foremost exponent is the highly accomplished sire, Wigwam Wag (Understood x Js C Penny).

The sire of MDM Wildthang, Ps Skidway, is a close relative of the perennial, contemporary sireboard leader, Ps Raising Cain, being out of a full sibling (Ps Sizzler) to the dam of Ps Raising Cain (Ps Fulbright), and each of them being sons of Raising Dust.

They come from the Michigan Vickey>KintoGirl>Belmonicon family of American Derby winner PL Greer (SS Jeno x Colonel Vickey) and Hall Of Fame stayer extraordinaire, Ps Rambling (Profits Andy x Ps Skelly).

I doubt that today, there are few, if any, families that have been more successful recently, on the whole, than the Lindy Lil, Wild Nancy clan.

Edited by rockingship

Guest rockingship

Catherine C

Stormy King by Oswald Cobblepot x She Drops Bombs

This greyhound is from a very obscure branch of a family of unknown derivation to me, although we can document it to the early 40s and a female named Leo Sissie. The procession of damsires into modernity is an impressive one, among them Carload Wins (Master All x My Black Mabel) who is the 6th damsire to Stormy King. Carload Wins is the sire of 1966 American Derby winner Golden In, out of Texas Yellow Rose.

Flying River (Hoefer x Bea Barr), the 4th dam to Stormy King, was the US national win leader in 1977, and an All American nominee.

Sandy Printer (Yellow Printer x Sandy Sails), the 3rd damsire to Stormy King, was an All American, a multiple stakes winner, and a perennial sireboard leader, who is an historically important sire in the American overview.

Hondo Monopoly (Rooster Cogburn x Hondo Nutmeg), an absolute rocket of a greyhound, would have had perhaps a Hall of Fame type racing career, had he not been plagued with nagging injuries, which seemed to often undo him or keep him from competition in the running of major stakes races. He was, in my humble opinion, at least the equal----and at his best, the better---- of any greyhound of his era on the racetrack...... and he went on to be a sire of some accomplishment, after somewhat early retirement. Hondo Monopoly is the 2nd damsire to Stormy King.

Bushnell Mickey, (Nicky Finn X Sally Ambro), the damsire to Stormy King, is from the Irish female family of Dolce, which we have already looked at in these frames, and is from the Border Vale branch, which is also perhaps the most prolific, being the direct family behind the great English Derby winner Own Pride, a damsire of extraordinary powers, and the sire of the iconic Maythorn Pride, of the Pat Dalton breeding empire. Interestingly enough, the Border Vale branch of the Dolce family is also the family behind Ballyheigue Moon (Yellow Band x Heather Susie), who is the 2nd damsre to Oswald Cobblepot----the sire of Stormy King.

Bushnell Mickey was a precocious juvenile, who suffered a career ending injury early on, but who had a respectable career as a sire, though his littermates Glengort Jones and King Kev are probably better known. He is also the sire of Bushnella, who is a littermate to She Drops Bombs, the dam of Stormy King. Bushnella is the dam of Extreme Heat, by FMCs Wake Up, who is currently at stud today, and reasonably well regarded.

Oswald Cobblepot, the sire of Stormy King, is the leading sire, currently in the USA. A son of HBs Commander and from the great Irish female family of Yurituni----which is another branch of the Inler May clan---- behind both Oswald Cobblepot and the previously mentioned Maythorn Pride.

Oswald Cobblepot's damsire, Rooster's Spur, is out of the great female Dias Stormy Day, also in the direct damline of Flying Penske. Rooster Cogburn, as tenacious a competitor as any whoever drew breath, is the sire of Rooster's Spur----and the previously mentioned Hondo Monopoly.

Edited by rockingship

Hi Rock,

I sent my donation awhile back and recieved a thank you note! Will you do a pedigree overview on Pharaoh??

His racing name was 'Stagecoach' and his sire is P's Raising Cain and his dam is High Spirited. :)

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

Guest rockingship

Sure Brenda----thanks for helping! That's a very handsome pic of Pharoah on greyhound data.....I'm a bit behind in these, but I'll catch up asap....

Sure Brenda----thanks for helping! That's a very handsome pic of Pharoah on greyhound data.....I'm a bit behind in these, but I'll catch up asap....

Whenever you have spare time :) Thank You!! :colgate

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

Guest Tess and Earl's Mom

Any idea how we could find littermates of Tess

(Okie Epedition) and Earl (Dancingin the Dark)?

Guest rockingship

Barbie

La Machine by Lee's Bold x Wendy Copy

La Machine is another one of our Greytalk greyhounds who can trace her heritage directly to one of the great icons of American breeding. We are speaking, of course, of the Hall of Fame brood matron, My Kit (My Laddie x Kitty Dunn), who is her 11th dam.

My Kit is the dam of the 3 great brothers by Lucky Roll, named Time Bomb, Scatter Brain and Buzzie Roll.....who would go on to have a profound effect upon our domestic racing greyhounds, as sires of great historical importance.

As a matter of fact, we can see that Stylish Bomb, the 7th dam to La Machine, is a daughter of Time Bomb. Scatter Brain is the sire of the first American Derby winner, the great Oklahman (x Real Pansy).

These brothers are conspicuous in the pedigree also, of the 1953 American Derby winner, However----who is a daughter of Oklahoman, and whose damsire is Buzzie Roll.

Stylish Bomb, meanwhile, in addition to being in the direct female family of La Machine, is also the 3rd dam to 1973 American Derby winner Junes Tuffy (Rifemeir x Cool June).

Junes Tuffy can be found in the pedigrees of marathon champion Rastro Ricky (Bahama Tip x What About Win) and contemporary sire Flawless Start (Tipi Tip x Busy Weekend).

This is also the direct family of the great Charlie Rink Taunton champion, Loopy Loop (IWs Owl x Quicken Quartet), who is the dam of Hoefers Boy ( by Hoefer) who is the sire of BJ Gentleman Jim, an All American stayer , himself the sire of the great Briggs Stratton, a 2 time winner of the prestigious Hollywood World Classic (x JW Highlight).

Wendy Copy, the dam of La Machine, is a littermate to Rodney Ramm, a reasonably successful sire, whose son, Big Boy Baggio (x Rogina Bella) is currently at stud.

Damsire to La Machine, Darryl Ramm, is another from the Yurituni branch of the great Inler May family, which is also the family of Oswald Cobblepot, Minaki Zeke, and (Hollywood World Classic winner) Kelsos Kingpin... and the promising young sire, Barts Email.

Sire Lees Bold, comes from the April Merry branch of the same Inler May family of Ireland, and this is the branch of the great UK racer and subject of a Sports Illustrated article on her winning streak, Westpark Mustard (Newdown Heather x April Merry).

The great contemporary 'charity' racer, Late Late Show (Spiral Nikita x Ullid Citrate) is the current sensational exponent of this family, and reportedly has won more money than any greyound in the history of the sport.

La Machine is a dandy almagamation of some of the finest bloodlines in breeding .

Edited by rockingship

Can anyone help me?..I just got my Grey yesterday and we cant find him on the Dog-Data.His racing name is-KTALIA BINGO FEVER.I have looked and looked and cant find anything on Bingo.

Thanks!

Melissa

KTALIA BINGO FEVER

Are you sure that's his racing name. Only 16 letters are allowed and that includes spaces. Bingo has too many :)

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

On his coller they have it spelled like this:KTALIA-BINGO-FEVER..I have tryed looking it up with the spaces but no luck..yet.Does anyone know of a site(Besides the Dog-Data one) Where you can look up your Grey?..I'll keep trying tho.

Melissa

Guest rockingship

Fran

Smith And Jones by Galilee x Black Cherry Pie

Good news......we can trace the lineage of another of our Greytalk greyhounds to yet another American Classic. This time we see, as the 9th dam to Smith and Jones, the 'Brood Female of the Century', Kinto Nebo.

She was so influential as a dam, that there are several branches of this family that emerge from her alone. The family is actually an Australian one, and it can be traced back to a female of unknown origin, named Sweet Bread.

Sweet Bread is the 3rd dam to Dawn Tullera, who is the 3rd dam to Kinto Nebo, (Johnny Leonard x Pintada).

The matriarch of this family, Dawn Tullera, is the dam of Gravel Gertie, Handy Nebo, Ruan Andy and Telephone Girl----all by the Aussie import, Handy Andy (Andy x Minda Lass). They went on to forge a breeding dynasty the genetics of which literally imbues every single one of our domestic greyhounds ----even if they are not from the family directly---as is Smith And Jones.

The direct line from Kinto Nebo, who is the dam of Westy Whizzer, by Tell You Why, is among the most influential in our breeding history.. A 100-plus race winner himself, Westy Whizzer sons and daughters are the cornerstones of many a contemporary breeding program. Kinto Nebo is the 2nd dam to the hugely influential Caprioled (Venerated x Abated)---and she is the 2nd dam to Friend Westy (My Friend Lou X Westy Blubber), who is the sire of Rooster Cogburn, Highway Robber and Sand Man----all out of the legendary Miss Gorgeous----who is by Tell You Why, the sire of Westy Whizzer.

The great Molotov (HBs Commander x Princess Mystic Rose) himself is a direct female line descendent of Gravel Gertie, and he is linebred to Westy Whizzer 4 times within 6 removes.

Hollywood World Classic winner Kiowa Shawnee So, currently at stud in Ireland, is a direct line descendent of Handy Nebo.

Telephone Girl is the female family ancestress of Hollywood World Classic winner Follies Bergiere, currently at stud in the USA.

And Ruan Andy is the family branch of successful contemporary sire Hey Father John, a Palm Beach Derby winner.

Kinto Nebo's mating to Saddler, an early 50s Hollywood Futurity winner, produced Westy Lass, who is the direct female ancestor to Smith And Jones. This is also the direct family of the fine stayer of the late 70s, That's Hanky Panky.

Smith And Jones, himself, is linebred to his own family's greatest offspring, Westy Whizzer, 4 times in 6 removes.

His damsire, Oshkosh Racey, is a Tell You Why line sire, as was Tell You Why's greatest son, Westy Whizzer. Racey is, of course, from the powerful Promesse family, which we have discussed at length in several of these frames.....

.....but it is interesting to note, also, that his damsire, Oshkosh Champ, not only another Tell You Why line sire----but is from the Fawn Rita Family----as was Kinto Nebo's sire, Johnny Leonard.

Oshkosh Champ, moreover, is by the great and legendary Raynham Derby winner, Cactus Lonesome----a contemporary and rival of Westy Whizzer, and a sire of immense importance.

And it is to a littermate of Cactus Lonesome, that Galilee, the sire of Smith And Jones, traces his own family heritage------a his 6th dam is Cactus Nancy---by Tell You Why X April Nancy-----the sister of Cactus Lonesome, to whom Smith And Jones is linebred 4 times in 7 removes.

So we see a pedigree based on one of the greatest producing females in history, from one of the most prolific families-----where the subject is not only reinforced by that family, through its greatest male exponent....but where the sire of that family's greatest exponent, is reinforced through his OTHER greatest son, and HIS female family is the family of the subject's sire. Fascinating.

Edited by rockingship