Jump to content

Dilemna


Guest Adrianne
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest Adrianne

The rod in Wilbur's leg is supposed to stay in place for six weeks; this Friday is six weeks. Xrays and surgery to remove the rod are currently scheduled for Monday, February 1, which will actually be 7 weeks and 3 days. I scheduled it for then because I had a big commercial photo shoot scheduled on Wednesday, January 27 and Wilbur will have to be alone for a few hours. Since my vet does non-emergency surgeries only on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and I didn't want Wilbur to be alone a day or two after surgery, I scheduled it for the following week. I discussed it with my vet, and he said it would be okay and maybe the extra time would be good for the bone healing.

 

I got a call yesterday pushing my job back to an as-of-yet unknown date due to a backorder on materials needed by the interior designer. So....do I reschedule Wilbur's surgery for next week or keep it at February 1?

 

This should be a decision I can make on my own, but I'm torn. Part of me wants that rod out so badly, and I'm just as anxious for xrays to see if anything else is going on with him. I don't want to have him xrayed before then on a separate day because he's going to have to be sedated for that. He's tired, he's wearing out; I can see it in him every day. He only gets up when he has to, and tail wags are pretty rare these days. It's my hope that removing the rod will be a good thing for him. I don't know what it feels like to have something like that in your bone. On the other hand, maybe the extra time is necessary. We're still working with spots that are draining; a fourth spot came up along his incision line yesterday that I fully expect will open up today. Maybe I need to leave the rod in place until February 1 to give this part of his injury more time to heal.

 

I'm sure there may be other things I'm not considering, and I just can't decide.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest GryffinSong

I'd have a long chat with your vet as to pros and cons.

 

For what it's worth, my Italian greyhound, Merlin, just went through a long "adventure" with a broken leg. My first vet (may he rot) shattered Merlin's bone attempting to plate him, so put a pin (tiny rod) in the bone. It was a nightmare. He had sores, it displaced his wrist, it wouldn't heal. I finally found an expert surgeon who pieced him back together, plated him, bone grafts, and he's getting better now.

 

That's a long way to get to my point. Sorry. ;) When the surgeon took out Merlin's pin, the bone had not fused, and there were major gaps where the old vet (may he rot) shattered his bone. In other words, the break was not at all stable. We wanted to give him a week on antibiotics before plating him, to help clear up any bone infection that might be in there. During that week Merlin was in a fiberglass splint. He did absolutely fine. So, I'm guessing, and DO talk with your vet about it, if they take the rod out earlier, they could splint it if there's any question of stability.

 

Hugs, good luck, and I hope Wilbur is tail-wagging soon!!! :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest scfilby

I have no experience with this at all, but I have to think the longer that rod stays in place, the more secure the bone will heal. It would be horrible to pull the rod and have the site re-break.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TheUnrulyHound

From the little info given, my gut feeling would be to leave it in till the 1st. I know you have been having a lot of troubles with his wound, I hope that there will be no other complications

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Energy11

I, personally, don't have experience with breaks, BUT, I'd, 1) follow my "gut," which we were actually TAUGHT to do in Paramedic school, and 2) I'd definitely trust my vet, after all you've been through.

 

If Wilbur does have to be home alone, after any of this, I'd also get a pet-sitter to come be with him, if that is possible.

 

Hugs to you and to Wilbur!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd talk to your vet, but I think I'd want it taken out. He's not using the leg & isn't very chipper & I'd feel awful to think that something is wrong like with poor Merlin. Waiting another week would just prolong things. I would want to know what's going on.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no advice for you Adrianne, but I will be sending healing thoughts to Wilbur that no matter when the rod comes out, his bone will be strong and stable. Hopefully your vet can give you some good feedback. Hugs to Wilbur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good thoughts for Wilbur. What an ordeal. I can't at all give you advice but I do send good thoughts!

scootersig_A4.jpg

 

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest GryffinSong

In your post you say he's tired and wearing out...I would think Wilbur will be more comfortable with the rod out.

 

This is such a good point, which I forgot to get to in my reply. Merlin was infinitately more comfortable as soon as the pin was removed. We could then address the sores and his attitude was so much better with it out. It clearly was uncomfortable.

 

Again, hugs and good luck, whatever you decide!!!

Edited by GryffinSong
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Adrianne

In your post you say he's tired and wearing out...I would think Wilbur will be more comfortable with the rod out.

 

This is such a good point, which I forgot to get to in my reply. Merlin was infinitately more comfortable as soon as the pin was removed. We could then address the sores and his attitude was so much better with it out. It clearly was uncomfortable.

 

Again, hugs and good luck, whatever you decide!!!

 

 

Thank you everyone for the responses. I know a lot of you are dealing with health issues far more serious with your hounds, and I appreciate the time and attention to Wilbur. Nothing has gone as hoped with his recovery, and it's kind of disheartening at times. I guess that's why my brain is shutting down on this one.

 

I do like the point that Wilbur will be more comfortable with the rod out. The fourth spot opened up today on his leg, so we currently have two draining wounds. I don't know if they're painful to him, but I know they aggravate him to no end. It's all just enough to wear any poor doggie out.

 

My mind isn't 100% made up, but I'm leaning toward rescheduling the surgery for next week. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and discuss it.

 

I have no experience with this at all, but I have to think the longer that rod stays in place, the more secure the bone will heal. It would be horrible to pull the rod and have the site re-break.

 

 

This is a very good point. I will discuss it in depth with my vet tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...