Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

So the wife and I were out for the New Years festivities. We drank less than 1 glass each. We went to sleep at about 2:30 am, Bart woke us up at 5am sharp for his normal breakfast, yes we were hoping to be able to sleep in a bit. We both got up and were very dizzy. My wife actually passed out and hit her head on the counter while feeding the hounds (I got up to help with the new foster we have). I was very disoriented and couldnt remember the name of carbon monoxide poisioning, I looked up the local non-emergency number and had the fire department out. They checked the house and nothing, nada. So my question is this, what if any would be the symptoms of a greyhound that has carbon monoxide poisioning? Since they are so laid back as it is already, I would think it would be difficult to know. Anyone have any experience? And before anyone askes, we dont currently have a carbon monoxide detector, and yes when the local hardware store opens today, I am getting a few.

Ai yi yi. That's very creepy. Glad the FD didn't find anything. Wonder if you and DW could have picked up a little virus or something that, in combo with a short sleep, knocked you down. How are you two feeling now?

I would think symptoms in dogs would be similar to those in people -- nausea, disorientation, wobbliness/dizziness.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad everyone is ok but what a scary experience. I too would think symptoms are about the same in dogs.

Please let us know what you find out if anything.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Well the dogs seem fine, no vomiting or other issues to speak of. I went out and purchased a few co/natural gas detectors, plugged them in and nothing. I am still a bit dizzy and a bit nauseous as well. Jen is sleeping so I am not sure how she is feeling. We must have eaten something bad?

I strongly suggest getting everyone out of the house to see if that makes you feel better. If so, then there's still something going on in your house. Can't think of what it would be if it's not carbon monoxide, but this sounds worrisome since your wife is sleeping and you still don't feel well.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

Carbon Monoxide bonds directly to the red blood cells, and kind of "chokes" off the oxygen, to the rest of your body. I am 99.9% sure the symptoms would be the same with the hounds, as well. As long as they seem fine, and not VERY VERY SLEEPY, and groggy, they should be okay. What a WEIRD thing to happen. My Dad's furnace was malfunctioning a few years ago, and he had the same problem. Good Luck and feel better! p.s. Getting OUTSIDE and getting outside oxygen couldn't hurt.

Now, THIS might sound strange, but WHERE did you get the glass of whatever you drank? Being both you and she have the same symptoms, maybe there was something put into your drinks? My DD went out to a few Downtown Orlando bars a few years ago, and she and her friend were VERY sick! Police said people were putting things in the drinks, and it was happening all around the city. Maybe this is what happened to you?

Edited by Energy11

Guest TeddysMom

Watch your DW closely and don't let her just sleep all day, she could have a concussion from hitting her head. Please keep waking her up to make sure she is coherent, if she has any problems get her to the ER. Sorry but I went through this with DH, he ended up with 2 brain bleeds and had to have surgery, it just makes me nervous.

Guest Energy11

Watch your DW closely and don't let her just sleep all day, she could have a concussion from hitting her head. Please keep waking her up to make sure she is coherent, if she has any problems get her to the ER. Sorry but I went through

this with DH, he ended up with 2 brain bleeds and had to have surgery, it just makes me nervous.

Yes, Definitely ... RE: the concussion/brain bleed. Be careful!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and tips.

I was waking my wife up every two hours (I have had a few concusions in my lifetime), and she actually had to get ready for work today at 11am. I went out to the store and picked up the detectors and didnt feel any better being out of the house for the 45 minutes. As far as the drinks, we were at a friends house, not out at a bar, so I feel confident nobody slipped us anything, of course you never really know everyone, people can suprise you. My wife had a bowl of cereal for breakfast, after a nice hot shower, and I had some crackers and Fresca. She says the dizzyness is gone and she never had any nausea. After the little bit of food, and 30 minutes in the bathroom, my dizzyness seems to be gone, as well as the nausea. Seems now that my wife and I may have either gotten some tainted food, or we both happen to have a nasty bug at the same exact time.

Our two hounds (Bart and Olive), and our two fosters (Monster and Gidget), as well as our two cats (Dexter and Slate) are all acting normal.

Guest SoulsMom

Those are some scary symptoms! But how typical is it of a GH parent to worry about the pups as they are passing out :P

I'm lucky, I have a built in CO detector . . . my finch. He is so sensitive to fumes, etc, that if he falls over dead I know the rest of us might be in trouble . . . .

Those are some scary symptoms! But how typical is it of a GH parent to worry about the pups as they are passing out :P

I'm lucky, I have a built in CO detector . . . my finch. He is so sensitive to fumes, etc, that if he falls over dead I know the rest of us might be in trouble . . . .

I believe miners used to take canaries into the mines with them and that they were safe as long as the bird was alive, but if it died, it was time to evacuate the mine.

Hope the OP is feeling better soonest. :)

To answer the original question, the dogs (and particularly the cats) would have been hit harder due to the size. One of the big symptoms of CO poisoning is headache- very strong in many cases. The smaller the critter, the stronger the effect. We had a problem with the gas heat when I was a kid; one of the lovebirds died. We didn't know why until weeks later when we pieced it all together.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Apart from the headache and sleepiness and disorientation, one of the symptoms can be a nice 'healthy' bright pink mucous membrane. Apparently this is due to the fact that carbon monoxide bonds permanently to red blood cells in the place of oxygen (which forms temporary bonds). Makes you looks good, but not a lot of use when the body needs oxygen released at cellular level.

If you think your dogs might be affected, take a look at their gums. If they're sleepy and seem to feel bad, and they're gums are bright cherry pink, you might have a problem.

I hope you find out what caused your symptoms!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just a follow-up:

I did purchase a couple of co/natural gas detectors, placed them in the house, they have detected nothing, other than when we come and go, the detector in the furnace room (next to the garage) registers minor CO since the vehicles are parked and started inside the garage (but they are not warmed up or anything like that, they are running for less than 1 minute in the garage). My wife and I feel back to 100% with no further issues. I did have a day of dizzyness and nauseua, but my wife only had a day of very minor dizzyness, in fact she worked the same day we had the problems in the AM. Thank you everyone for the tips and well wishes.

Chad

Guest Energy11

Hey Chad! Glad you two are feeling better! Could have been something you ate, a 24 hour bug ... anything! Main thing is, you are recovered :-))

Guest Audeamus

Last week when the furnace in the place Gir and I are living began it's dying process/poisoning us I noticed Gir would cough at night. And he was a lot more restless/wouldn't settle inside. He also went back to being as itchy as he was on his old food.

Good to hear your wife and yourself are feeling better.