Are Greyhounds Really That Lazy

Guest SoulsMom

Soul is more lazy in the winter months. We get up at five am-- he eats, potties, then goes back to sleep. I come home at noon to let him out to potty and then he goes back to sleep. Then I'm home at 4:30, feed him, let him out to potty, and then he goes back to sleep. Then I have to wake him up at 8:30 for his bedtime snack and last potty of the evening. Put his jammies on and he's out until the next day.

mine do not sleep more than 24 hrs/day. they do get up for walks, feeding, playtime, going for a drive, or to shift to a more comfortable sleep location, usually near where i am. the occasional visitor may (or may not) be grounds for a look-see.

it is surprising how fast they can move tho. if they are asleep upstairs, if i quietly open the fridge, reach carefully for a cocktail sausage (xmas treats) and turn around and start to say sausages, they are lined up in front of me somewhere between 'saus' and 'ages'.

I know! They can be amazingly fast when it's about food. My foster once was chewing the clicker. Joppar came right to where the foster was when the clicker clicked. I was amazed by their hearing and also their speed.

Guest tbrodzel

Brynna is my first grey and I have only had her a little over a month. She sleeps a lot!!!! I sometimes have to get her off the couch to eat breakfast then after bfast she goes back to sleep for her morning nap. The whole day is pretty much eat, go potty, romp a little and then sleep. Even when we have play time she gets winded pretty quickly and is ready to sleep again. ha ha I love my furry couch potato. :lol

Chance sleeps so much that 90% of my pics of him are of him sleeping. lol.gif I usually MAKE him stay up by playing with him or giving him a bone that will keep him occupied.

I teach, and have been off for a week now (thx to SNOW!) and he sleeps more than I thought! It's in their blood...they are "storing" their energy until they have to let it all out.

Guest Greytluv

It's so funny. If by chance I come home in the middle of the day, none of mine will even get up to greet me :rolleyes: When I get home from work at my regular time they get so excited :beatheart

They are very routine orientated.

Isis and Thor have to be in the top 10 champions of "not doing nuttin today" ! Their routine is pretty much the same each day, arise, do the doggy stretch, go out for morning potty, come in for breakfast, stretch again, then NAP TIME ! They will move pretty quick if you mention taking a ride, that is the majic word, more so than even treat, and Thor loves his treats.

Of course, at supper Thor is frist to his bowl, but Isis, well that is a different story. Her highness likes to have her bowl presented to her to see & sniff if there is anything really worth her time to eat. She takes her time to decide if the presentation is really up to her standards and will wait forever to see if anything additional will be added to entice her, if not, then she will wait til Thor is finished and he must walk by her to exit the kitchen, after growling at him and letting him know he ate too fast and this is MINE, she will begin eating. She is a real hoot !!! But LAZY, YES!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't have it any other way, love my greys !!! :colgate

Guest lazyhound4

My four boys sleep most of the day but they each have their "thing" that rouses them....If Vikingstar hears the ice machine on the fridge, he will awaken from a dead sleep to get an ice cube; Rocky will bolt to the kitchen when I open the pantry door; Dallas goes nuts over his squeaky toys; and AppleJax...no, I can't get him off the sofa for anything, hardly! They sleep more soundly after a 15 minute walk around the block in the afternoon!

The lazy bums! All they do is sleep, lounge around, and goof off!

But if I say the magic words: "wanna go for a walk," "wanna go to the park," "want some food," ... man, I've never seen anything get so motivated so quickly!

Oh yes, now that winter is here, Max has gone into official hibernation mode! We have been home most of the past two weeks, with the Christmas break. We go for a walk in the morning, he sleeps until lunch and goes out for potty; it might involve a bit of play if not to cold - just a few snow zoomies then back in. Snooze time for the afternoon, potty around 5, dinner then a bit of play with stuffies and general romping, back for a nap until 8:30, another potty - this one is pretty much always accompanied with some play time in the yard - and then more napping until last potty around 11. He'll be 12 in April, and I guess he is actually still pretty active... :blush In the spring and fall, he is a lot more active, summer heat pretty much results in the same activity level as winter!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves