Are Greyhounds Really That Lazy

Hi All,

Zero's daddy here. Yup, Zero the recently very curious dog that loves to chew that I posted about earlier.

I'm home for the week, normally he's alone for ten hours a day. Now it's 12:45pm. We went for about a mile walk this morning, he came home, ate and crashed for a couple hours. We played with his squeaky toys for a few minutes and then he's crashed out on my bed again. Sometimes when he's sleeping on the couch, he's feeling particularly lazy and I want him to get off the couch, I almost have to pour him off. I'll slowly inch him off and he'll just pour onto the ground w/o standing. It's the funniest thing, but sheesh, that's lazy!!

Do greyhounds pretty much sleep most of the time? I know they do, but just wanted to hear it from y'all -_-

Anyone else experiencing this? Zero is 5 & 1/2 years old.

Thanks,

aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest GryffinSong

When nothing's going on Gryffin just lays around like that. But if I'm coming or going, he's a bouncy bundle of excitement. My boy is ten. I think they all differ a bit in their energy level, but in general most sighthounds are content to lay around inside when nothing more exciting comes their way.

Yep, they sleep the entire day. They do change positions often but it is to get more sleep :P

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

they do sleep a lot but mine know when its time to up and go and they get crazy and excited.... but when we are just sitting around all they do is sleep.

Yep. I sat on the sofa and read for two days straight (a lovely indulgence I never do) and I think Enza moved maybe once or twice. She'd pick her head up if I walked into the kitchen or past the coat rack, but other than that - so very lazy. I kind of like it in that I don't feel so awful leaving her all day.

In my experience, as a rule the 2-4 year olds can be a bit more active but older? yep, sleep a lot. Especially in nonoptimal weather (raining, snowing, too hot, too cold, too windy ....). In winter, mine get up, eat breakfast, 3-minute potty turnout, sleep for 3-4 hours, 5-minute potty turnout, maybe play a little, sleep for 3-4 hours, etc. If no one were home, they'd just sleep.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You know, I had a lot of questions about the lazyness of my hounds this weekend when I did a meet-n-greet at a local Borders store.

I liken the greyhound to a cheetah. A cheetah runs for only one reason, to catch food to eat. They expel so much energy in the process, that they cannot afford to waste any energy. Now since they have no fat stores, they do not have any "extra" energy to burn off, therefor they wont usually burn more energy than they take in the form of food. A greyhound is very similar, in both running style, body form, and nature's design. So yes, they will be very lazy. My two hounds sleep an average of 18 hours a day if we (wife and I) are at work.

LOL, that is so funny....I'm seriously laughing at these posts. They are very lazy creatures and it's as cute as heck. -_-:lol

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Yeah, my boys ( 4 1/2 year old) are pretty lazy too. But that's also why we chose greyhounds over the other breed in the first place. They are quiet and laid back and not consistently asking for your attention. I stayed at a dog friendly B&B this summer and believe me, the other dog owners at the inn wish they have adopted greyhounds... My boys are very lazy but they also enjoy time with us, like going out to new places and having car rides. Like last night, we went to the old town for a one hour walk and they immediately crashed to their bed when we got home. They did not move for like 6 to 7 hours except when getting their dinner.

Guest scfilby

Other then meal times, walks and potty breaks, the only time we see our hounds is as they say hello on their way past to the next sleeping area. Our bed, hello.. couch, hello... DDs bed, hello... meal, playtime, dog bed, hello.... crate, hello.... potty, our bed... hello.....

well Queen sleeps with me all night, then my DW takes her out at 6:30AM and she then sleeps with me until about 8AM and gets down and lays on the floor by the door waiting until I get up at 9ish.

we have breakfast and she goes back to sleep until I get into my outside chair THEN she is up and ready to go, we spend about an hour in the back yard {noon ish } and back to nap time until about 5PM out for a short romp and dinner followed by naping until about 8-8:30 ish and off to bed to start the whole process again.

:lol Carl and Claire are both 6, when I'm home on a day off all they do is sleep. Carl will move from one room to the next, couch to my bed, Claire will sometimes just stay on her bed most of the day moving to change positions! They get up to go outside and take care of business or get really excited when it's feeding time, but that's about it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Lately I typically have to bribe Beth (age 3 1/2) off the bed with dairy products to get her off the bed to go out for a walk, especially for the last pee of the night. Call her name, clap my hands, put on my coat . . . nothing. The noise of my opening the lid of the cottage cheese or yogurt seems to do the trick, however. :rolleyes:

She's quite energetic once we're actually out, though (well most of the time).

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Sounds normal to me! Yes, they are that lazy!

As far as the "pouring off the couch" thing, mine do that too - especially when they don't want to do what you're asking! Toni is a Zen Master that way. She goes totally and completely limp! It's their form of non-violent protest, I think!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Sweetreba

Lately I typically have to bribe Beth (age 3 1/2) off the bed with dairy products to get her off the bed to go out for a walk, especially for the last pee of the night. Call her name, clap my hands, put on my coat . . . nothing. The noise of my opening the lid of the cottage cheese or yogurt seems to do the trick, however. :rolleyes:

She's quite energetic once we're actually out, though (well most of the time).

I am laughing that is the same ritual I go through every night with my two. They will not budge to go out for final pee until I lift the lid off the cookie jar where their treats are. I call and clap my hands too and they look at me with one eye opened like are you nuts.

Guest NewGreyOwner

We, too, have to resort to bribery to get for the last walk of the day. His extra special cookies usually do it, but lately the doggie egg-nog has worked pretty well! Once he's outside and moving, he's usually okay, but sometimes it's a challenge to get him past the garage door. : )

Guest SillyIzzysMom

I liken the greyhound to a cheetah. A cheetah runs for only one reason, to catch food to eat.

Love it!

yes. . .when my dogs hear kibble hitting their bowls they run like crazy to "catch" their food. . . :lol

mine do not sleep more than 24 hrs/day. they do get up for walks, feeding, playtime, going for a drive, or to shift to a more comfortable sleep location, usually near where i am. the occasional visitor may (or may not) be grounds for a look-see.

it is surprising how fast they can move tho. if they are asleep upstairs, if i quietly open the fridge, reach carefully for a cocktail sausage (xmas treats) and turn around and start to say sausages, they are lined up in front of me somewhere between 'saus' and 'ages'.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest IrskasMom

My Boy is pretty lazy to , but don't ever say the " Go or Park " Word . He will be ready in split seconds and mind you any time.He wants to go all the time,even if he just gotten home he will go .When we are at the Park and none of his Friends are there , he looks and looks for them , but when they are there he does not want anything to do with them.