Puncture Wound...

Teensy

So Irene bit the non-grey we're dog-sitting (perhaps a topic for a future discussion about space guarding), just to prove that no good deed goes unpunished. The dog is a chow/wheaten mix. It happened this morning, and I didn't even notice the wound until now. She wasn't complaining or acting out of sorts, and she didn't even yelp when they got into it. There was a very small amount of blood. It's not bleeding anymore, but I can see a puncture wound. I washed the area with water and grapefruit seed extract and put some neosporin on it, and then I called the vet. The vet is closed, of course, but I did speak with an assistant who told me that I should take her to the e-vet if possible, or keep it clean and have her seen on Saturday. Her owner is in Turkey on vacation, unreachable. I have zero experience with dog wounds, but this dog has a big scrape on her head that her owner is allowing to heal on its own, which makes me think that maybe wounds are not such a big deal on non-greys. On the other hand, this is a bite wound. What do ya'll think? Is this really an e-vet moment? Wait and see? Where would you as owners draw the line?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Teensy
3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

Gosh, tough one. Did you discuss medical care before the owner left?

I would somewhat put myself in their shoes - would you want your dog treated if the situation were reversed. Whatever that answer is, I'd go with it.

The biggest risk is infection, given it was from a bite. If the wound won't close, a trip to the vet would be in order. Maybe you can post a pic and get more detailed advice, but my first reaction stands. Do what you would want someone to do for your dog.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

You know, she was really nonchalant about the whole thing, and seemed sort of rushed about it. The greyhound we're sitting, by comparison, arrived with his crate, his bed, sweater, heavy coat, light coat, two pairs of boots, a bin of food, and a bin of a thousand other things that he might want or need (toys, three different kinds of treats, first aid kit, interceptor dose, extra collar, toothbrush and paste, muzzle), instructions about behavioral stuff, and an emailed list of vet, e-vet, microchip and other assorted emergency contact information. This dog came with a leash, and a key to the owner's house where the food is. Not even so much as a poop bag. I can't imagine ever doing that in the first place.

I guess if it were my dog, and it didn't look like an emergency, if it didn't look infected or gory (fat chance with a greyhound, though), I would not go to the emergency vet. I would wait until the regular vet opened, again, and have it looked at (for sure), so that's what I'm leaning toward. I've never had to deal with a bite wound, though. If someone said, "that would be an automatic e-vet trip in my house," I might change my mind.

Agreed. It's hard to tell from just reading a post, but it doesn't sound like something I'd rush to the e-vet for, personally. I'd just keep an eye on it, keep it clean, and if it looks a lot worse by Saturday I'd take the dog to the vet.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

YES, the risk here, especially with a puncture wound, is infection. I'd keep it clean, keep the antibacterial ointment on it, etc ... and if it looks red, swollen, pus-filled, or all of the above, I would definitely see the vet on Sat. If you were pet sitting for me, that is what I'd hope you'd do. Good Luck!

Of course, greyhounds are different, but... when we took Diamond to the e-vet two days ago for her bite, the vet said her wound was "deceptively small." It was about the size of a silver dollar and not HUGELY gory, but there was a lot of damage underneath, including muscle damage. He wound up putting three layers of stitches in.

If it were my dog, I'd want the sitter to take my dog to the e-vet. I'm very, very protective/particular with my hounds, though.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Of course, greyhounds are different, but... when we took Diamond to the e-vet two days ago for her bite, the vet said her wound was "deceptively small." It was about the size of a silver dollar and not HUGELY gory, but there was a lot of damage underneath, including muscle damage. He wound up putting three layers of stitches in.

If it were my dog, I'd want the sitter to take my dog to the e-vet. I'm very, very protective/particular with my hounds, though.

Hmmm, ok. This is really not larger than the width of a pencil at the opening. There was really no blood around the wound, and probably not more than a drop or two on the fur, and we've all been in the same room, so I'm sure she wasn't licking it all away. I don't know. Maybe I'll have my neighbor surgeon look at it later, just to be sure.

ETA sorry to hear about Diamond, by the way. She's a beautiful dog.

Edited by Teensy

Hmmm, ok. This is really not larger than the width of a pencil at the opening. There was really no blood around the wound, and probably not more than a drop or two on the fur, and we've all been in the same room, so I'm sure she wasn't licking it all away. I don't know. Maybe I'll have my neighbor surgeon look at it later, just to be sure.

ETA sorry to hear about Diamond, by the way. She's a beautiful dog.

Oh, that doesn't sound bad. In that case, I'd probably just keep an eye on it. I know most dogs' skin doesn't tear easily the way greyhound skin does.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

If the pup is really fuzzy I would shave the area, keep it clean, and slathered some ointment on it. If it looks angry then off to the vet you go for antibiotics. :). If it were my dog and you were able to keep it clean and healing I wouldn't expect a vet trip.

------

Jessica

If the pup is really fuzzy I would shave the area, keep it clean, and slathered some ointment on it. If it looks angry then off to the vet you go for antibiotics. :). If it were my dog and you were able to keep it clean and healing I wouldn't expect a vet trip.

Oh, that's a good idea to shave the fur. She may not tolerate the shaving, but maybe I could at least clip some of the fur out of the way.

Guest suenotto

The best thing to use to clean the wound is Hibiclens. You can buy it at almost any pharmacy like CVS etc. I contains chlorhexidine which is what they use at the hospital. Put some water on a pad or gauze and a little squirt of the Hibiclens and gently suds up the wound. No need to scrub it hard, but it is important for the solution to be in contact with the wound for 1 minute. The disinfecting action occurs with contact time not scrubbing action. Rince with warm water. Chlorhexidine works for hours after the application, so cleaning 2x a day should reduce your changes of infection significantly.

A thin layer of Neosporin can also be applied after the Hibiclens.

I have used it on small puncture wounds for home treatment myself with no problem.

Sue

Veterinary Nurse

Edited by suenotto

By the way, the state of the wound today is that when I look at it without touching the area, the hole is closed. If I pull on the fur around it, it opens up. So, closing but not healing over. No matter what I'll take her to have it looked at tomorrow. Enough playing amateur vet. Really, it's the least I can do, since my dog did the biting.

Yeah, I guess, I still feel like it's not an emergency, but I'm not comfortable just letting it go without professional evaluation and treatment. She also came to me with all these scabs on her head, which her owner didn't seem particularly concerned about, but she's been scratching at them, and has one all bloody again. If it were my dog, I would be a bit more proactive about getting that healed up. Looks like she's been at this head scratching thing for a while. She has a spot on her head that is completely calloused over.

If it's more than teeny tiny deep, you don't want it to close over right away. Puncture has to heal from the bottom out. Vet might want to prescribe some antibiotics but probably can't *do* anything more than you've already done.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If it's more than teeny tiny deep, you don't want it to close over right away. Puncture has to heal from the bottom out. Vet might want to prescribe some antibiotics but probably can't *do* anything more than you've already done.

Ok, good to know. I've heard about infections getting trapped inside, so this is what's supposed to happen. I'm going to get this disinfectant, now.

Guest Energy11

I know Hibiclens from the hospitals. It is a great product, and I will have to get some to keep on hand, myself! For today, just cleaning it, and putting the neosporin on it should work, until you see the vet. Good Luck!

Its a tough one,that said having experienced puncture wounds with my hounds,i was told by the vet if the wounc is bigger than a fifty pence piece it would need looking at,also he said not keen on stitching dog bites, puncture wounds because of stitching the infection in (depending on the damage)

all i can say is try and keep clean,discourage licking,and keep free of any hair,hope this is of some help :goodluck anitbiotics,would also help.

Edited by Peppersdad

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty was bitten (we had him for maybe 2 Month ) by an Australian Shep. over a Cookie right on his Chest. Me in my Panic drove to Annapolis to the ER Vet.It was right where the Jagular runs and I flipped out. The Vet cleaned it up most likely with Hibiclens and $ 180 later we where on our Way home.No Stitches.It looked slightly larger then I thought it was when I looked at it,but there was no Danger.

Edited by IrskasMom

Puncture wound shaved and flushed. Instructions to compress it 2x/day. Head shaved so that the dermatitis can dry out and heal. She looks hideous, but hopefully she'll heal up, now. She was also given an antibiotic for both areas. I'm not too confident about the dermatitis. They said it looks chronic. The bill wasn't too high. Definitely worth the peace of mind.

Edited by Teensy