What Happened? What To Do

Guest amlab2002

Guest amlab2002

I've had my 3 year old grey for just under 3 months. i work every day and every day the same dog walker has come once or twice a day no problems they love each other

today, she tried to put booties on him to protect him from salt on the sidewalk due to heavy snowfall this weekend, and he growled and bit her...she stopped the booties and tried to put his coat and leash on and he bit again, just getting her coat..she got him in his crate (usually that's just an option, he is free in a part of the house...we assumed that he didn't like the way she was putting the booties on or had inadvertently hurt him..

a few hours later she went back to try to walk him but he growled at her from the crate so she let him be

I'm at a loss...this is the sweetest dog and he has always adored her...has anyone experienced this? What should i do?

Guest Bang_o_rama

Just data gathering; "bite" as in a warning nip or bite as in lacerations/Betadine/stitches and lawyers? Both problematic, but quite different and maybe a clue as to what is wrong.

~D~

Yikes! Have you used the booties and coat with him before? How did he react with you?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest KennelMom

There's obviously something he doesn't like - either her or (more likely) she's become associated with something he doesn't like or is afraid of. Could be pain....that's always a potential source of "aggression." Did he break the skin? What did the dog walker do? Have you been home yet? Can you reproduce the same reaction?

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have the quick solution, muzzle your dog. That way no biting can occur. Something has changed. Not sure exactly, but something has changed. Maybe the walker is wearing extra clothing that freaks out your hound. Who knows. For the time being, muzzle your hound, then have the walker treat for correct behavior (yes through the muzzle). Personally I would setup a camera to record what is going on just to be on the safe side.

Chad

What others have said. Has he ever expressed his dislike for booties before when with you? I am wondering whether a vet check on his paws/pads might be in order. His biting and growling might be a reaction to pain, particularly if you say this is very out of the ordinary.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Has he worn the coat and booties before? Do you get the same reaction when putting them on if he has. It's his first winter in a home and he may not be used to wearing booties and a coat, especially the booties. Most hounds hate wearing booties on their feet. I'd muzzle him when attempting to put the booties on tonight and see if you get the same reaction.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

And as an aside, if it is the booties, get rid of them! A quick rinse after a walk gets rid of the salt, and the dog gets to feel more like a man. :lol

I hope you get this figured out. Good place to turn for advice - I don't have any, but there are a lot of very seasoned greyhound people who will walk you through this.

Good luck!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Is your dog walker ok? How scary! He might be in pain but also might be settling in enough to test the wateres... I would muzzle him and rotate his shoulders, legs, toes, look at webbing, etc.

I noticed Rainy has a huge scrape on the side of her pad from the snow/ice outside. I only noticed it when she put up a fuss with dremeling. It's very sensitive to her and I'm sure that if I didn't pick up on the "Ow Mom that hurt" yank away and just thought she was being a PIA she would have escalated the situation quickly.

Keep us updated. (((hugs))) for you your pup and your dog walker

------

Jessica

In addition to all the above questions - especially -maybe pain, did he ever wear a coat and booties and was the walker wearing a hat by any chance? Some GH don't go for the hats on "their" people. This is really unfortunate and I am sorry the walker was not able to read the signs of your pup and got bit.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest NeverSayNever

Me thinks the dog walker needs to tell him to suck it up and be nice. The more she backs off, the more she reinforces the behavior. Yes, I would check for pain, but I would not accept aggression for something like putting booties on a hurt paw. Unless its broken, I doubt he is in that much pain. Tell me it hurts, but then get over and let me check it.

If he is fine, its possible that he just doesn't like his feet handled for whatever reason. Something like that is easy to work on..... pick up foot, treat, squeeze foot gently, treat, booty on, treat.... I would spend a few minutes working on that each day and have the dog walker do the same so he associates good stuff with his feet being handled.

Also, I think a muzzle is a great idea for giving the dog walker the confidence needed to get the job done.

Jennifer Bachelor

Never Say Never Greyhounds

www.NeverSayNeverGreyhounds.net

NeversayNeverGreyhounds.blogspot.com

Guest amlab2002

Just data gathering; "bite" as in a warning nip or bite as in lacerations/Betadine/stitches and lawyers? Both problematic, but quite different and maybe a clue as to what is wrong.

~D~

Bite as in bruising and hole in jacket......alternate walker went yesterday, no biting but growling putting on coat and near cage... have made appointment at vet for Saturday (just to check but since no problems with me on either of these, seems doubtful)....on trainers advice, walker coming today, setting up situation as normal although I will be in another room with limited out of site view but can hear -- and correct as required. maybe figure out what is triggering it...and redo with her until he gets it that he has to let her put on his coat...she actually has been putting on coats since Oct (light fleece and warmer fleece), but now he's got a snow coat with a longer snood, maybe that's been more difficult..

anyway, it's been the walkers and me putting on his coat since i got him, so no obvious reason for him to growl--usually he starts wagging knowing he's going out...so we'll see

will keep you posted..

andrea