Dark Urine,almost Orange

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

With all that Lola has been through the past 8 days, she is now wetting all over the house (our bed, couch, floor, dog beds, etc.) It is a dark color, almost orange. She does have an infection according to the bloodwork, but the vet doesn't feel it's a UTI. He thinks the dark color is bilirubin passing through her system. He has us checking her eyes every day for yellowing. He saw some yellowing on Wednesday, but we think she looks normal today. Has anyone else been through this along with a pancreatitis dx? She is eating and drinking now, and keeping everything down. Thank you!

Edited by argolola

Guest argolola

Bili is from red cell destruction. Her liver may be compromised. I would run a Lepto titer a.s.a.p.

We have seen 4 different vets in the past 8 days and this has not been suggested.

Wish I had some wisdom and don't. Hope the vets are right to just be keeping an eye on things and she improves soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Bilirubin passing into the urine is from the liver not functioning properly. The Pancreatitis could have compromised the liver. Might just be temporary, and once her body gets back to normal, hopefully, she will be fine. I have no experience with Lepto, but it might be worth asking the vet. Love, hugs and good luck!

Guest boondog

Boon has severe issues with being crated and being at the vet. One time we left him for a procedure and he was so stressed we had to go pick him up. For the next day it looked like he was peeing iced tea. He had been so stressed that his bilirubin was elevated. Fortunately, it was just a temporary thing. Hopefully that's all you're dealing with.

Agreed on the possible compromised liver. It can be temporary, it can be permanent. We were extremely lucky that Sutra did not have any long term kidney or liver damage. I do give him Milk Thistle capsules though. I'd recommend at least doing that with Lola. It helps the liver heal itself. You can get Milk Thistle at Walgreen's or any store like Target or Walmart that sells supplements.

ETA I am glad to hear she is eating and drinking! That's a very good sign :)

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest FullMetalFrank

2nd on the milk thistle. It is good stuff; like Kristin said, it helps to protect and heal the liver. I hgope Lola is feeling better today; she has been in my thoughts and prayers.

Guest argolola

Thanks everyone. Great idea about taking pics of the eye. She had a great night, and since she hasn't wet in the house anymore, I don't know what the urine color is now. Since she has been on Amoxicillin, the accidents have stopped. She is hungry and eating her boiled chicken. The vanilla Ensure has been a miracle worker. Thank you all for caring about my baby girl, who incidentally has a birthday on 12/30. My little senior puppy will be 11.

p.s. here is a picture of the eye. It doesn't look yellow to me...

post-2911-12612228718136_thumb.jpg

Edited by argolola

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sounds like good news; I am glad the Amoxicillin seems to be helping. Eating and drinking, no accidents all are good things! Wishing Lola an early Happy Birthday (I can't believe she is nearly 11, Lene, how time flies :rolleyes: ) and sending prayers for her continued recovery...

This is such wonderful news!! I'm so glad she's eating and drinking and that her accidents have stopped. I'm also sure this year will be an extra special, birthday for your beautiful girl!!!

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest FullMetalFrank

It's pretty hard to judge yellowness from not seeing what her eyes look like "normal"... I mean, to me, it looks fine but I have not seen her when the vet said it was yellow, or before she got ill, for comparison, KWIM? Can you send the pic to the vet and let him do a comparison, maybe that might help? Better yet to take her in, of course, but I know things are tight.

To check her urine and see if the color is back to normal, you can tape a small tupperware or plastic cup to a stick and go out with her when she potties; just slip the cup under her heiney once she starts to "go." That way when you call the vet you can give him an update on her urine color, as well. :grouphug

Guest Energy11

The updates sound good! I, too, do not see any "yellowing" of the eye, but hard to say from a photo, and not seeing her. Everything does sound good, though. Love and hugs to all of you!

The improvements are wonderful! Sounds like she's on her way! Thank goodness!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest argolola

She's still doing good. We took her and Rudy for a "bye bye" ride to Walgreens. They loved it.

The pee pee is still the color of iced tea, so I started her on milk thistle today. Thanks everyone.

Hi. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I don't know if you know that George peed in the house for most of the first year I had him, and for most of that time, the pee was ORANGE and SMELLED HORRIBLE.

Test after test after test came back that aside from his urine being concentrated, there was NOTHING wrong with him.

Finally after a 14 week course of Baytril, the peeing stopped and has never started again. His urine is nice and normal too. I believe we were also adviced to try the Milk thistle. I don't know if it helped, but it didn't hurt!

Just an FYI--my vet never did figure out what it was, but he was not her first Greyhound patient with the problem.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck