Ollie Does Not Have Erlichia

RobinM

All the TBDs are back and they are negative. Vet did another blood today to check platelets which were a bit low when he had 104.5 one week ago.

We are hoping it was just a virus which he kicked.

He has been greyt after we started the doxy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Good news on not have the Erlichia. Did the test for all the other TBDs? Three of my five, have low positive titers for Babesia, but their PCRs came back normal. Good luck with you Ollie!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Yayyyy!

The thing about Tick-borne disease testing is that it's not 100% by a stretch. Around here, if dogs (or people) respond quickly to Doxy, it is assumed that there was at least a mild TBD infection that wasn't detected. So if there is a response on the Doxy (which I personally hate cause it's a stomach killer), I'd give pepcid and keep it up for at least a couple of weeks. Sorry to be too full of suggestions sometimes, but I've had wayyyyyy more experience with TBDs than I like.

Good boy Ollie.. keep feeling better!

Yayyyy!

The thing about Tick-borne disease testing is that it's not 100% by a stretch. Around here, if dogs (or people) respond quickly to Doxy, it is assumed that there was at least a mild TBD infection that wasn't detected. So if there is a response on the Doxy (which I personally hate cause it's a stomach killer), I'd give pepcid and keep it up for at least a couple of weeks. Sorry to be too full of suggestions sometimes, but I've had wayyyyyy more experience with TBDs than I like.

Good boy Ollie.. keep feeling better!

He has been on 500mg of doxy for the past week. 300/am 200/pm. Vet said to wait to see how platelets are tomorrow.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest eaglflyt

Excellent news about the erlichia! Did they also test for babesia or other TBDs?

I'm hoping it was just a virus that he's kicked, too! I'm so happy he's feeling better! :)

Excellent news about the erlichia! Did they also test for babesia or other TBDs?

I'm hoping it was just a virus that he's kicked, too! I'm so happy he's feeling better! :)

Yes, they tested for everything. The eurlichia and the babesia just came back from last week although she had had the preliminarys earlier.

So far, so good. Hoping his platelets are fine.

Well, it would be nice to have an answer, but it's wonderful that he's doing so well. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Well, it would be nice to have an answer, but it's wonderful that he's doing so well. :)

Waiting for the platelets to come back OK tomorrow. If so, we are running on the assumption it was a virus.

That's great news! Let's hope for good results from the platelets tomorrow. :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm a bit behind on things here....... hoping for even better good news. Keep us updated. Bravo for the vet checking and rechecking for TBD...... too many times it's something not taken seriously enough - until it's too late.

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

Negative for all TBDs and Platelets are back to normal! We are keeping him on 300mg doxy (was 500mg) for the full 10 day course which ends tomorrow!

YAY!

paws clapping...... paws clapping....... three roos for the vet! roo roo roo!!!! three BIGGER roos for Ollie......ROO ROO ROO!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .