Girly Girl Diagnosed With Os 12/3

Guest ronka68

My heart goes out to you.What do you do, and when? I promised each of my dogs that they would have a nice life, and that I wouldn't let them suffer. I let my terminally ill dog go when he wasn't comfortable anymore. In between the time I knew he had a terminal illness until that day, I tried my best to live in the moment. He didn't know he was sick so, beyond some extra spoiling, I tried not to let on that I knew either. The first few weeks were the hardest.Sending lots of hugs and prayers for you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to you.What do you do, and when? I promised each of my dogs that they would have a nice life, and that I wouldn't let them suffer. I let my terminally ill dog go when he wasn't comfortable anymore. In between the time I knew he had a terminal illness until that day, I tried my best to live in the moment. He didn't know he was sick so, beyond some extra spoiling, I tried not to let on that I knew either. The first few weeks were the hardest.Sending lots of hugs and prayers for you and your pupper.

I was composing a reply but it really said exactly the same thing. I'm so very sorry.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Have you been consulting with Dr. Couto? If not, send him all the records & tests you have on Girly-Girl.

FWIW, when my girl had a FNA done on her shoulder tumor, the report came back probable for fibrosarcoma. When I contacted OSU, they felt it was osteosarcoma because the overwhelming majority of tumors in that area in greyhounds are OS, not FS. So it's still possible that Girly-Girl might have OS & not hemangio. And that may give you more options for her treatment.

I am so sorry that you & Girly-Girl have to go through this - it's just not fair that our dear hounds should ever have to deal with this.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest ronka68

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Have you been consulting with Dr. Couto? If not, send him all the records & tests you have on Girly-Girl.

FWIW, when my girl had a FNA done on her shoulder tumor, the report came back probable for fibrosarcoma. When I contacted OSU, they felt it was osteosarcoma because the overwhelming majority of tumors in that area in greyhounds are OS, not FS. So it's still possible that Girly-Girl might have OS & not hemangio. And that may give you more options for her treatment.

I am so sorry that you & Girly-Girl have to go through this - it's just not fair that our dear hounds should ever have to deal with this.

We have been consulting with Dr. Couto. He has been very kind to us in this process. He has seen all the records so far with the exception of the results of pathologist findings which I only have by phone from Dr. Pastor yesterday evening. Dr. Couto is the one who encouraged us to investigate this further because the tumor was in a very strange place for osteosarcoma (her elbow). All the doctors we consulted said the same thing. And most also felt it didn't look like a classic tumor either which is why they kept telling us it was a bone cyst and then no, it's a tumor, and then no it's a bone cyst.

That is also why I was hesitant to move right to amputation. If there was a chance it was a bone cyst, and that the treatment for a bone cyst would spare that leg for her, I didn't want to be too hasty.

It looks like Dr. C was right, it may very well have been in a strange place to be OS. And I'm wishing like crazy he was wrong. But I'll know more on Monday after they've done some other test on the material to determine between osteosarcome and hemangiosarcoma. More conclusive I guess. I'm not entirely sure because my hearing stopped working so well after I heard hemangiosarcoma and what that might mean. Funny, it did the same thing when I first heard about her probably having osteosarcoma.

Veronica

Guest Smiley

I've just read your thread and am so, so sorry. We just got an Osteo diagnosis yesterday so I completely understand what you are going through. Reading through your posts, I saw my own feelings mirrored back at me. Just please know that I am feeling for you, sending you so many hugs and walking this journey right alongside you.

Guest ronka68

I've just read your thread and am so, so sorry. We just got an Osteo diagnosis yesterday so I completely understand what you are going through. Reading through your posts, I saw my own feelings mirrored back at me. Just please know that I am feeling for you, sending you so many hugs and walking this journey right alongside you.

Oh my heart just bleeds for you. No one should have to go through this. I'm so sorry for you and your baby. If I can help you in any way...if you can benefit from any of my experiences so far, please let me know. If I have learned anything from this group it is that there is strength in nnumbers. And I guess whenever you're feeling most alone, log in here because there is always someone who is willing to give you an e-hug and prop you back up enough to keep you going a few more steps down the road.

May you have a smoother road than we have had.

Guest sirsmom

Just spoil her rotten and enjoy her. We lost our Sir in '08 to this horrible disease; we opted not to amputate and he had a pretty good 3 months on prednisone. I'm so sorry. I still can't mention about him without tearing up--he was one in a million.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Your words left me in tears. I wish there was something more we could do for you. We love these guys so much.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ronka68

Well, we caught a small break. It came back that Girly Girl had osteosarcoma and not hemangiosarcoma. I was never so happy to hear that she had bone cancer. I would never have dreamt I'd have said those words, ever. But thankful I was because there is a much greater chance that we can have some more time together with OS than with hemangiosarcoma. I guess there is nothing that can put OS in perspective for you quicker than having someone tell you that it might be hemangiosarcoma. So I wasted no time scheduling the amputation. I had already decided what I would do if it came back as OS. She's so full of life and she's always been stubborn and feisty. I'm not ready to say goodbye and I don't think she is. She underwent the amputation at Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital under the very capable hands of Dr. Karen Pastor. Dr. Couto recommended NEVOG where we met Dr. Romansik and he pulled in Dr. Pastor as part of our team. I haven't regretted staying on the East coast. Girly Girl made it through the surgery fine and recovered physically fine. She has had a bit more of a tough time with it emotionally. She went through a few days in the middle where I would say she was depressed. Lack of interest in engaging with her family. Lack of appetite. She curtailed her mobility which had been good up to that point. Her pain level seemed to increase for no apparent reason since the healing was looking very good. I did have some times in which I definitely questioned my decision to put her through this amputation. I struggled with the decision before the surgery once I had scheduled it so this was especially difficult. But the last few days have shown dramatic improvement in her disposition and things are back on track. We go next week to have staples out and begin chemo. I am trying to keep a very positive attitude right now. I want to manage this disease long enough so that we can celebrate her 10th birthday (she'll be 7 in February). Maybe in that time, there will be a breakthrough in treatment. But every day we have together is a victory that I will cherish. I've decided I can't live without my heart. I'm going to fight hard to keep it.

Sending you many hugs. We've just been through this awful journey too and I know just how hard this is. Praying that you and your Girly Girl will have many, many happy days together. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest MorganKonaAlex

White light for Girly Girl and you. Demon had his chemo at NEVOG too. He's 6 months after amputation at this point and doing great. The only real difficulty is dealing with the ice the Northeast gets.

Guest ronka68

White light for Girly Girl and you. Demon had his chemo at NEVOG too. He's 6 months after amputation at this point and doing great. The only real difficulty is dealing with the ice the Northeast gets.

You give us hope! Our first chemo was yesterday and Girly Girl did well. Of course, they say that if there are to be side effects, they won’t show until 3-5 days out so I’m waiting with drugs in hand for nausea and diarrhea. They’ve been so kind to us at NEVOG.

I know what you mean about the ice and snow here in the Northeast. Girly Girl has had to learn to cope with three legs in the middle of winter, slipping and sliding the whole while. I can only imagine that she will be incredibly well balanced when she gets back on solid ground come spring.

Please let us know how Demon does. We’re pulling for you.

Veronica

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ronka68

Oh thank you for that! That gives us hope as well. Girly Girl did have some side effects. Some nausea and diarrhea. She’s coming out of it just in time for her second chemo on 2/19. But she’ll have her 8th birthday this Sunday and for that I’ll be incredibly grateful. We’ve made it this far…

Happy Birthday Girly Girl! aquabirthday.gif Make sure you get lots of chow.gif

Best wishes for the rest of her treatment. goodluck.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Happy Birthday, Girlie Girl!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead