11yo Peeing In The House, Going Out At Nite

Guest SusanP

Did you have the U/A cultured?

I'd do a round of a good antibiotic like clavamox. You can give augmentin (people drug) 875 mg broken in 2 over the course of the day. IF that did not work, I would an ultrasound.

Prayers for your girl.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

And sometimes nothing shows up in the U/A or culture, but antibiotics work. It's happened here a time or six.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I guess it was cultured...What else would they do with a urine sample, just take a quick peek right away? I'm calling in the morning.

Most of the time if they don't see any bacteria in the sample, they won't grow a culture.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I guess it was cultured...What else would they do with a urine sample, just take a quick peek right away? I'm calling in the morning.

They may have done just a dip stick but no culture. I'd start her on the clavamox and have it cultured in the meantime.

Don't give her the clavamox first though!! If you have it in the house, ( I do so I tend to think everyone does!) colelct the pee and them give it to her, drop off urine. If not, you have to drop it off anyway and you can pick up the clavamox.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Has she had bloodwork recently? If so and that was good, I'd probably do a course of antibiotics. Could do a culture first -- some folks here seem to have good luck with that, ours never grow anything so I seldom bother anymore.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have you considered just incontinence related to old age just like with some elderly people?

Exactly my thoughts... two of our grey girls (both 8 y/o) have incontinence issues. They are both now on Proin and doing well.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I have a 14 year old gal who has been having trouble making through the night (or through a long day if I'm not home) since she was about 11 or 12. No UTI, no nothing except she's getting old. I bought some of those washable bed pads (for humans, like they use in the hospitals) on Ebay. She uses them without fail and they have been a real lifesaver for both of us. I don't sleep well as it is, and if I had to get up in the middle of the night to take her out I would never get enough sleep, and she doesn't have to be upset for peeing on the floor. I bought enough so I could go about 5 days and then do a load (large front loader) and have 2 extra for the night that her pads are drying, probably 12 or 14 of them.

We tried the disposable ones and you'd be amazed at how many pieces a greyhound can tear one of those into!!!!

Guest bigorangedog

I also have a 14-y-old male who has had incontinence for about a year. No UTI. His kidneys are getting a little iffy, but not too bad, and don't seem to be getting worse over time. But we got some doggie diapers from Pooch Pads, and they work really well. We have a 'diaper pail' just like if we had a child in washable diapers, and we do a load of them with bleach when it gets full. If it helps keep our boy around longer (and keep him or us from being stressed) it's no big deal.

We tried the disposable ones and you'd be amazed at how many pieces a greyhound can tear one of those into!!!!

This made me laugh, because I HAVE seen how many pieces a greyhound can tear a child's disposable pull-up into! NOT pretty.

I think it came up kind of suddenly to be just "senior incontinence". She began waking me at night, crying to go out more often, and peeing in the house all at once. She has had UTI's in the past, too, though not recently.

And now I remember--the vet just looked at the pee under a microscope while I was there, I think. I'll call the vet this morning when the office opens and discuss our options.

Thanks for the input, Guys!

With classic incontinence, you'd see wet spots / leakage where the dog has been lying down, not getting up and squatting a bladderful in the house or getting up and asking to go out at night.

Let us know what you find out!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have been going thru this with my new 9 yo girl Rose. She would leak when she sleeps and needed to go out, A LOT! First was the UA with micro and culture and sensitivity. Bad UTI noted and the sensitivity showed it was susceptable to many ABX. Cipro twice a day for three weeks with a repeat culture done and no more infection noted. She was however, still leaking. She was started on Proin 75 mg twice a day (think little old lady incontinence). That stopped the leaking when she sleeps with no side effects noted. We did, however, do an ultrasound of kideys, adrenals, bladder, and the rest of the girlie parts to rule out any structural/masses etc. Her insides are better than mine! She still wants to drink like a fish but she is getting better about that. She has been cleared for diabetes and cushings so we think it may be behavioral. I think she may have been returned to our group for this reason instead of the one given. We are working on that issue and making good progress. Hope this helps.

BTW - I have ordered Rose's Proin from KV Pharmacy (Nebraska) at a sinificantly cheaper cost than from my vet. He is very good at faxing/calling in the Rx's for me to help me with costs.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Greensleeves
I think it came up kind of suddenly to be just "senior incontinence". She began waking me at night, crying to go out more often, and peeing in the house all at once. She has had UTI's in the past, too, though not recently.

Jenny's incontinence appeared very suddenly--one evening she was just lying in a puddle on our kitchen floor, waiting for dinner. And the next day at the vet, she peed all over the exam table and had no idea she was doing it. NO symptoms previously. (She's on Proin and doing great.)

I would trust your mommy instinct, though; just be aware that incontinence doesn't always creep up on you gradually!

Good luck!

I would trust your mommy instinct, though; just be aware that incontinence doesn't always creep up on you gradually!

I agree fully with both statements...

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)