Opie Ate A Turkey Carcass!

Opie has never taken anything out of the garbage can, so this has never been an issue. I guess today, Turkey Day, just got the better of him. DH was taking a shower, and I was on my computer waiting so I could get in the shower. I was just getting out when I heard DH yell, Oh No!! I come running, Opie was taking a burnt roll to his bed. We both ran to the garbage can, and there was stuff all over the floor, and NO turkey carcass, just the metal piece that holds the legs together!! Since he has already eaten it, and not choked on anything, should I be worried??

Guess we will have to keep the garbage closed from now on.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Just hand fed him a roll, and he is contentedly sleeping on the couch. :unsure I will watch and listen for any unusual signs. I am expecting the big D tomorrow at the very least. Bad greyhound!! :rolleyes:

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest TheDoggfather

I'm sure he'll be fine. The bones will actually help 'firm things up'... $5 says he doesn't ahve any issues at all. Most of the dogs here got something a little extra tonight. Granted, nobody got a whole carcass, but, a few got some good sized bones off the ham.

Guest Energy11

OY! A garbage hound, huh?

You did the right this by feeding him the bread, and as everyone else says, just watch him carefully. I have "trash can dogs," too. I finally got a can with a locking top, and I keep it in the laundry room.

Good Luck, and let us know how things turn out, literally and figuratively! Many hugs!

Guest KennelMom

Cooked bones present a risk of puncturing, but not a guarantee. Their stomach is pretty acidic and should be able to break down even the cooked bones. As a practice, I would not give my dogs any cooked bones of any kind. But if they snark some by accident, it's not necessarily a medical emergency. I'd have been more worried about the volume of food he may have eaten...

I hope all passes without incident :goodluck Keep an eye out for intestinal distress, discomfort, unproductive vomitin, bloody or discolored poop and get in to the vet if you see anything like that.

Now that he's had a taste of the "forbidden fruit" that is the kitchen garbage can, he may be more inclined to partake in it's offerings in the future. Our garbage can sits in our walk in pantry for this reason. Before we had the pantry, it was under the sink.

Guest jerzyjen

Baby proofing items work well for doggies too. I have one of the latches that is used to keep fridge doors shut tight to keep kids from opening it and used it on my garbage can. Most of the time I don't even need to push it in tight, just having the latch rest in the other peice keeps them from sticking their snoots in and opening the lid. Who am I kidding, there is no "they" its just Ginger. I found out she liked to pick through the can after a chicken wing incident. Since she is not a food hound, we were able to get the bones away in time, but we realized she is super sneaky and quiet about it.

I hope everything comes out allright, both figuratively and literally.

While the posts above are the more likely outcome, and I pray that is how things go, but we did have to surgically remove a cooked bone from a similar situation from our fomer GSD mix. Just watch closely for discomfort, big D that won't clear up, or any signs of inappetance. Hoping it is not serious but know that it can be.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Just FYI - I had a foster that opened a cabinet and ate a whole cooked chicken carcase. I fed her bread and watched her carefully for a few days. She was fine.

Well, thanks so much for all your replies. So far, so good. He had a poop before bed last night, and another one around 6:30 this AM (we were up early for Black Friday shopping :) ) Poo was a bit soft, but that's it. He ate his breakfast with gusto, and has been begging for treats since we have been back. No signs of distress at all.

Well, now, I guess I have to really watch that garbage can - now that he has tried it and found delicious treats inside!

Well, just wanted to report that after a bunch of stinky gas today, I think the carcass just came out! DH just walked him, and said the poo was real runny with chunky things in it. I will really have to watch my garbage eater from now on! :eek

Guest cendrine

Ditto!! Hope everything keeps moving right along!

Shouldn't we have a thread called the "Poop Chronicle" or the "Back Passage News" for the, um, "business" news?