Covering Head

I'm still new to having my Grey....it's been a little over 2 mos. This will probably go down at the dumbest question ever, but I will feel better if I knew. Chance, just like EVERY OTHER GREY, loves to smother his head into any crevice. This morning, he jammed his head so far into my armpit and pillow, etc. that I swore there was no way he could breathe. Now, the obvious answer is that, of course he can breathe...however, it spooked me a bit...and yes, i'm being over-protective. However, i can't help myself asking and getting made fun of -_- , and so is better than something happening to my precious boy.

The ONLY reason I ask, if it is AT ALL possible for them to suffocate themselves is b/c of their actions on the race track. They will injure themselves and still run to the finish, correct?! Well, .....do they have this mentality with "other" things?!

Again...silly, but I don't care :rolleyes:

Thx GT as usual :) :)

I have a head-burrower too, and occasionally have the same worry. However, Dude never stays that way for long. And I don't think they can suffocate themselves like that.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I love when they do that!! They aren't going to cut off their air, it's a natural instinct to get air, they'll put their head out when they need to.

My Phantom broke his leg in his last race and still finished the race. And he was not one of my head snugglers! :)

Guest summernights

I think that the "finish the race even after getting injured" thing may be because of adrenaline or something to that effect.

(disclaimer: I'm not a vet or a dog expert or anything)

Gem loves to root me when I get home from work...she'll usually stick her head in my armpit, and then between my chin and neck, and rub it around. When she has enough, she pull her head out and sneeze in my face. Silly girl :wub:

I think that the "finish the race even after getting injured" thing may be because of adrenaline or something to that effect.

(disclaimer: I'm not a vet or a dog expert or anything)

Gem loves to root me when I get home from work...she'll usually stick her head in my armpit, and then between my chin and neck, and rub it around. When she has enough, she pull her head out and sneeze in my face. Silly girl :wub:

Mannnn...you have a beautiful Grey there!!! That 2nd to the last pic....just ate me up! THAT LOOK is what does it for me EVERYTIME! She is gorgeous!!! :)

My fiance sits at the bottom of our stairs so that Aston can headbutt him in the stomach, and then my fiance bearhugs Aston's head and goes WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB and rubs all over his neck and face while his nose is buried. HOW this could ever be anything less than extremely annoying, let alone FUN, I have no idea -- but Aston LOOOOVES it and seems to think it's the most hilarious thing.

Once they're done doing that, Aston backs up a few steps and looks away slightly, but keeps his eyes on my fiance, who does the same tilt-away-but-keep-glancing thing. Then they both freeze for about five seconds, and then my fiance POUNCES Aston and clobbers his face again, which brings all kinds of snorts and bounces on the part of the doggle.

(I'm fairly well-convinced that I just don't know how to love on dogs properly. I still can't do anything to Aston that I would consider extremely annoying to have done to ME, and I'm really touchy about stuff :P soooo.... anyways. Aston still rubs his face all over my legs and butt when I get home from work, though :wub: so I guess we still have a connection.) /hijack off

Guest KennelMom

Breathing is pretty instinctual....they'll come up for air when they need to. ;)

The reason some of them can/will run through an injury is the adrenaline and other hormones pumping through them when they are racing or chasing. Not all will run through an injury through. Primo stopped mid-course because he dislocated a toe. I understand his brother, Cracker, did the same thing on the track and pulled up during a race b/c of a fairly minor injury. I wish they would all do that!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Not silly at all and they won't suffocate themselves because breathing is an autonomic response not something learned or thought of. You have a very snuggly Greyhound and I think that's very cute! Mine are not quite that cuddly so you're lucky!

Guest KiKi_Girl

KiKi likes to sleep with her head towards my feet at night and every night I wake up a few times a night to my whole bed shaking from her panting. I can pat the pillow beside me and she will shift and put her head on the pillow until she is ready to burrow again...and the process is repeated a few times a night. No wonder I don't sleep well...but I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Guest ctgreylover

As it gets colder, Tony's nose is going into places I wish it wouldn't while I am asleep. Usually my armpit (I sleep in tank tops) or the back of my neck. I wonder about crushing him and him biting me, rather than him smothering himself.

Guest DarkHorse

Dexter is our burrower and if he doesn't have a convenient pillow, blanket or human body part to do it in, he'll cover his nose with his paws or legs. I try to discourage it at night because it makes him snore but he's never come to any harm from doing it.