To Amputate Or Not?

Guest bigorangedog

It's far too personal a decision for me to offer advice. :goodluck and :grouphug no matter what you decide.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

It's far too personal a decision for me to offer advice. :goodluck and :grouphug no matter what you decide.

My thoughts exactly. It's such a personal decision, what's right for one person may not be right for another.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry to read your awful news - and of all of your other sad losses.

As has been said, it is a very personal decision.

I'm tring to put myself in your situation - an 11 year old dog I've had two weeks with early osteo. If the dog seemed pretty mellow and not overly concerned about being examined etc at the vets - and if the chest xrays were clear - I think I would go for the amputation. Maybe my view is slanted with having a 2 year survivor snoring next to me as I type. If I did go ahead with the amputation I would want the dog to be able to have a full and proper chemo regime afterwards.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry you are facing this again :grouphug Consult with OSU then sit down with Whitey, he will tell you what he wants. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this.

Two years ago today my first greyhound Jesse was diagnosed with OS. I chose to amputate because he was young (6 years old), strong and otherwise healthy. He came through surgery with flying colors and had no problems with chemo. In fact, he seemed to think it was a great treat that he got to visit his adoring public at the vet's office at least once a week. In the end, he only lived 4 months before the cancer returned in his spine. As you can imagine, a tumor on his spine was too much for a three legged dog to handle - even my Super Jesse. While I resent the outcome, I don't regret my decision for one minute. I needed to take a chance for him and to BELIEVE that he had a chance.

It's unimaginable the challenges you have faced this past year, but I believe everything happens for a reason. You and Whitey were brought together for a reason - the same way that you and Sly came together for a reason. Whatever you decide, you will be there for Whitey to love him and care for him until the end. Sometimes that is the greatest gift we can give to one that we love.

God bless you and your family. You will be in my prayers.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks everybody.

I just heard from the vet that his bloodwork came back okay. Tonight we are doing a lung x-ray. If that's clear, then we have the big decision to make. I completely hate all of the options!! We've done "pain management" (plus artemisinin, etc) 3 times this year and I really do not relish the idea of doing it again.

But then I read stories on CoG of dogs who had lung metastasis 3 weeks after their amputation, and I wonder whether we ought to put him through that with absolutely no way of knowing how much good time it would buy him. He might get 18 months, or he might get weeks. sigh.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, though. If anyone has stories of how surgery and recovery went for them, please share or point me to the threads. Especially in older dogs. Thanks.

Not to be the downer...and I'm in NO WAY trying to influance your decision. Just giving you info...

My vet did warn that OS Micometasticises very quickly. So, the spots may not show up on the films yet, but that doesn't mean it hasn't located there.

Of course, that doesn't mean ANYTHING. Chemo could help, or maybe in his case it HASN'T moved yet.

You're right. The super sucky thing about it is not knowing.

I hope you're doing OK and hanging in there as best you can. ((((hugs))))

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown