Possible Cancer In Smiley's Toe

Guest Smiley

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to hear how well he's doing. Please don't worry too much while you wait for the report. What ever it was, it's been removed, and he is happy at home eating his special meatloaf!

A little Sunday update . . . Smiley is doing SO well today! He looks bright-eyed and even tried to run after Peanut when he was on-leash in the back yard today! He wanted to play and pounce yesterday while I made his dinner and though it made my heart so happy, we are keeping him as quiet and as still as possible while he heals. He is more mobile today too, laying in different spots around the house and coming over for some scritches. I'm so, so happy he is doing so well! Thank you again for continuing to keep him in your thoughts!!! :blush:colgate

So glad he is doing well. Continued good thoughts streaming his way!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

A few pics of Smiley resting and hanging around today . . .

15338_1137777489114_1367681953_30335319_3646798_n.jpg

Lookin' good two days post-op!

15338_1137777329110_1367681953_30335317_6791629_n.jpg

Recovery is hard work and requires lots of rest . . .

15338_1137777929125_1367681953_30335321_6704233_n.jpg

DH has been an excellent dog walker, taking on this task every day in case Smiley needs help up our deck steps. Since this photo, we have played around with the cinchy nylon red boot I sewed up and it now hooks around his back to keep it from slipping down.

15338_1137777889124_1367681953_30335320_2310109_n.jpg

One of Peanut just cuz she deserves a little lovin' too! :colgate

Guest FreddyGirl

Sending all my best wishes to you, Smiley and Peanut. FYI- Duct tape works well holding on socks, so it might help keep the nylon bootie up too. :grouphug A group hug for you all...

Beth, I'm just catching up on everything I missed, and have been reading about Smiley. How you love that boy! And how beautiful he looks (Peanut too, the little sweetie).

It's good to see that he's doing so well, and good that your vet moved so quickly.

You and your sweet boy are in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Beth, which toe was removed?

Looking at those sweet pics brings a smile to my face!

Thank you for posting!!

He had his right front food/outside toe removed. He is doing SO well! I am having to keep him quieter than he'd like. He's been after the Mother Bunny we got in Dewey . . .

Finally, an update on Smiley! We took him in today to get his stitches removed and it was a good news/not so good news experience. The great news is that the pathology showed a severe infection-no sign of cancer! :yay I am SO relieved! Of course, now I question did our vet do the right thing with the amputation? The toe didn't respond to antibiotics and the vet was not only very concerned about the possibility of what the exam indicated, but he has always, always done a great job for us. I am just telling myself that what's done is done, be grateful for how well Smiley is doing and the end result. Which I am!

The not so good news is that on our way home from the vet, the incision opened up :( . Pete took him straight back to the vet for stitches again and is there as we speak. I really, really hate to put Smiley through anything else-especially more stitches.

Thank you all for all of your good thoughts and prayers-it has made such a difference for us these last two weeks. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like the support of greyhound peeps en masse! :colgate

Guest Energy11

Great news with no cancer! Sorry to hear about the stitches, but at least you got it taken care of right away! Now, everything should be on the mend :-)

That's GREAT news! If there's still trouble with healing, maybe the toe analysis could indicate which antibiotic would be best to give?

Don't bother second-guessing yourself on the amp. Bad toe infections are a crapshoot, as many here will proably tell you. Sometimes folks can get them to heal, and sometimes they go thru months of misery and end up amputating the toe anyways.

Hugs and hopes the new stitches hold and your pupper is good as new in no time!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FordRacingRon

Congrats on the good news. Leia goes in tomorrow and I think I will take the biopsy route first....I truely am happy for you and Smiley with the path report.

Edited by FordRacingRon

Great news on the pathology report! Speaking as the owner of "Drake the Expensive Hound" - infections may take FOREVER to go away. Drake has been on antibiotics of various sorts with an open wound that won't close for 5.5 months so far. Don't second guess the decision to take off a toe - it is a minor part that he will not miss, once he gets healed up.

Hang in there with the second round of stitches - and hurray!! celebrate the path report :-)

FL

Great news on the pathology report! Speaking as the owner of "Drake the Expensive Hound" - infections may take FOREVER to go away. Drake has been on antibiotics of various sorts with an open wound that won't close for 5.5 months so far. Don't second guess the decision to take off a toe - it is a minor part that he will not miss, once he gets healed up.

Hang in there with the second round of stitches - and hurray!! celebrate the path report :-)

FL

"Drake the Expensive Hound" :lol ! We have one of those too . . . :blink:

Celebrate we will tonight-I'll be pulling a doggy meatloaf from the freezer for the pups for dinner :colgate !

Was a biopsy mentioned? My Plummer has 2 infected toes that have been going on for years.

He is on a antibiotic and I control his licking with socks. He is in no pain and his quality of live is excellent.

I would speak to the vet again and asks questions. Good luck.

Oops, sorry, I didn't read all the posts. Good news for u.

Plummer is on Zeniquin& I have since put him on Benadryl, for swelling which is drying out the wound. What antibiotic are they recommending?

Edited by msjpk