Possible Cancer In Smiley's Toe

Guest Smiley

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending tons of good thoughts for you and Smiley and your dad. :grouphug

I just had a scare with my galgo, Cruz. I took him in to check a red place on his leg and a needle aspiration was suspicious for mast cell carcinoma. Vet was pretty sure that's what it was. I got the biopsy results yesterday and it was a bizarre fungal infection! No cancer in sight! Sending positive thoughts - it's an infection and the antibiotic will clear it right up.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Beth I'm sorry you are facing this. Really sorry about your Dad. I hope this is something he can fight.

As for Smiley's toe. For what it's worth, I'd get the fine needle done. They can usually tell by what they see under the microscope whether it is "suspicious". I do agree with him though, removing the toe is the best way to get clear margins. At this point though even if it is suspicious you would likely have to wait to get it removed. Like my vet your's is opting to remove the whole thing for pathology rather than a biopsy - good move.

Let me know if I can help at all. Don't forget OSU is there to offer support, even if it turns out it's an infection.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sending many many good thoughts, all that I can find to send. It is an infection, only an infection, and the antibiotics will quickly knock it out. :grouphug Everything will be ok.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

thinking good thoughts for you and your family. so sorry that you have to endure all of this right now.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

We have hit the 48 hour mark with little to no change. We've notified our vet that we'll be in with Smiley tomorrow 7 a.m. to proceed with the surgery. Despite the fear and doubt I've had (especially after reading varying opinions and information), I think I've made peace with this choice. Pete and I have had "the talk" and we've made the decision to go ahead with the toe amputation, stop short of a leg amputation and to pray with all of our hearts that whatever this is hasn't spread and has been caught early. I'm taking it hour by hour, just praying first that he makes it through the surgery and then that he heals rapidly and finally that the pathology will not reveal more bad news.

Thank you so much for your good thoughts and prayers. If you could spare a few more tomorrow morning, I'd be very grateful. Smiley is my heart baby and I just cannot bear to lose him.

In the meantime, I am going to spending tomorrow working on a painting of Smiley that I have wanted to start for months. It seems like a good time to start!

Edited by Smiley

Guest madredhare

Wow, that is a lot to have at once. Sorry about your dad and Smiley. Hoping things go well for you. We too are going to the vet tomorrow morning for possible toe amputation. I will be thinking about you guys.

Wow, that is a lot to have at once. Sorry about your dad and Smiley. Hoping things go well for you. We too are going to the vet tomorrow morning for possible toe amputation. I will be thinking about you guys.

I'll keep you in my thoughts tomorrow too! It seems there is a little club of toe amputees on this board the last few days . . .

You and Pete and Smiley are in my thoughts. I hope the surgery is uneventful and that the results are good. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I have had 2 that had toe amputation. The only thing that bothered either of them was the bandage. Missing toes were nothing.

I pray that it is a toenail infection like both of mine had. Please know we are here for you.

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly and nothing worrisome is found.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sending many prayers for Smiley and you all! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway