Sputtering Choky Cough After Drinking?

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

We have one of those circulating fountain water dishes (Drinkwell), and I've recently noticed that every time Gracie gets a drink, she comes back sputtering and coughing, like it's gone down the wrong pipe. She drinks from the bowl, not the running water bit.

Before I mention this to my vet, I thought I'd see if GT thought might be something more than Gracie drinking in a hurry. She's completely fine otherwise, but her mom did have LP. I don't know if it's the bowl; we have 8 other dogs who don't have a problem with it.

Opinions?

Guest Energy11

Our water bowls, are elevated, but sometimes, Goldie drinks sooo fast, she does what you are describing. A good friend who has had GHs for years, came to visit us this past weekend. HE suggested putting a large stone in their water bowls, to keep them from drinking too fast. I live near a beautiful rushing stream, so I might try it ... this might help yours too! Good Luck!

I have two that drink so fast they choke like that. They also get a bit too much water and urp some of it back up.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have two that drink so fast they choke like that. They also get a bit too much water and urp some of it back up.

Sherri has done this, too.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Goldie would cough everytime he drank water-raised or on the ground-it didn't matter. A board certified vet said it was "drinkers cough" and nothing to be concerned about and it never caused him any problems. Interstingly he could drink other things like milk and wouldn't cough. Never figured that out! :)

If it's happening a lot, I'd probably check in with the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NewGreyOwner

OUr grey does this, too. Not every time, but often enough. It sounds like water is getting down the windpipe, but he doesn't seem to be in any distress. He does it whether it's from his elevated bowls or bowls on the floor - makes no difference.

Guest littlesyd85
My first thought is LP, but that is because Monarch has it so when I hear a similar symptom that is what comes to mind... Could she be drinking too fast or too much? I've seen greys that drink too much at one time and start choking like you described.