Question For Long Term Pred And Imuran Users

RobinM

As most of you know, Beau had been a high dose (40mg) of pred since late January. 40 mg. A few weeks later, we upped the pred to 50mg and added in the imuran.

It was at that time, Beau started to thrieve.

He was steadily putting on weight and as early as March we lowered the pred slowly down to 30mg where we held for a while.

We are down to .5mg and 12.5 mg of imuran a day (broken in 4).

What I've noticed is that Beau's coat has thinned out majorly. I'm sure part of it is that it was summer so he "blew his coat" but I just brushed him and there was enough hair for a small dog. I have been brushing once a week. His coat once thick has thinned out.

Anyone know for sure if that a reaction from the long term use of pred?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Have never seen that but don't have oodles of experience there.

I *do* know that fall shedding season has begun. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know about dogs, but my Mom was on pred for 28 years after her kidney transplant. Her hair and skin got progressively thinner. Her doctors said it was because of the pred.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Yup, Robin. Side effect of long-term pred. Same thing happened to Lexi.

least of our problems, but I was wondering if it will grow back thicker. Where they shaved him for the surgery in January has just started to grow back... just very thin.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

least of our problems, but I was wondering if it will grow back thicker. Where they shaved him for the surgery in January has just started to grow back... just very thin.

Well, unfortunately I can't share my experience with Lexi because she crossed the Bridge 3 weeks ago, and was never able to get off steroids. But once Beau's off for a while, as long as nutritionally he's doing well, I'd expect normal hair growth.

At least in humans, hair loss and regrowth can be caused by major illness, physical or psychological trauma, and certainly malnutrition -- and can lag behind for many months. Hopefully, now that he's doing well and is almost off pred, you'll see nice hair regrowth soon.

I doubt it's the Imuran. Jared, Lexi's litterbrother, has been on Imuran for about 7 years (thrombocytopenia), without any side effects. (Unless eating poop is considered a side effect... :rolleyes: )

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Mia has been on 5mg of pred every other day for over a year now. She started at 50mg almost 2.5 years ago, we brought her down slowly and at one point she was on both pred and imuran.

She does have a very thin silky coat, we usually put jammies on her in the winter time. Unfortunately in her case every time we try to take her completely off of the pred, she flares back up, so we have accepted that she will probably have to take it for the rest of her life. I know it can cause problems with long term use, but it is a hard decision to make when we are thinking about long term pred usage vs. possibly losing her without it. :(

Edited by 2hounds

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

yep, that's Beau. He's on only .5 mg but after all the time on the higher doses... that's the way he looks.

I brushed him and couldn't believe what came off of him.

Mia has been on 5mg of pred every other day for over a year now. She started at 50mg almost 2.5 years ago, we brought her down slowly and at one point she was on both pred and imuran.

She does have a very thin silky coat, we usually put jammies on her in the winter time. Unfortunately in her case every time we try to take her completely off of the pred, she flares back up, so we have accepted that she will probably have to take it for the rest of her life. I know it can cause problems with long term use, but it is a hard decision to make when we are thinking about long term pred usage vs. possibly losing her without it. :(

Alisha - that was pretty much my choice with Cody - keep her on the pred & face long-term effects or lose her right then! Kept her on the pred for 1.5 years.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge