Thyroid Question

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Guest Lovey_Hounds

D.C was put on thyroid meds today as our vet suspects issues after seeing her blood work... she has a lot of the symptoms but the weight gain... she is having weight loss.

her symptoms are:

"-Hair loss on the butt, chest and neck. Dull, brittle fur, dry flaky skin and dandruff. Hyperpigmentation is a darkening of the skin. The skin can look dark, leathery and have a different feel to it.

-Wheezing (reverse sneezing, gagging, etc)

-Seeking warm places to curl up

-A bad odor,

-Lethargy

-Various undesirable behaviors such as mental depression, sudden changes in temperament, fearfulness, excessive separation anxiety "

I trust my vet but i hate putting my aniamls on meds, i have also added sea kelp to her diet as it is supposed to help regulate the thyroid.

with her taking the meds what should i be expecting??? i was told to watch for some results with in 4-6 weeks and if she seems to not be taking well to the meds to take her off them and call him.

Guest Capslock

My Otis was put on soloxine about 8 months ago. He's 12. He had some of the symptoms you describe, but didn't lose weight (he has since starting the medication). He lost hair in clumps, was lethargic, limped and acted arthritic. He's a LOT better now. The hair grew back, but a little overboard. He's really fuzzy, with bunny-like fur, to the point where he acts like he's hot most of the time. But he's way more engaged now, and is well enough to go out with a dog walker and a pack of dogs to dog parks every weekday. I thought he wouldn't see 10 years old at one point, but now it seems like he'll be around a while, so for me it was a big positive.

I am going through the same thing with Abbey. She, too, has the symptoms you describe and has also lost several pounds over the course of the past 5 months (despite eating better than me!). I can't remember what her previous testing results were, but this test showed her 'low normal' for greyhounds. My vet and I decided to start her on a very low dose of soloxine to see if it helps thinking she may do better with higher levels. It's only been two weeks, so we'll see!

Good luck with D.C.

Denise
Greyhounds: Angel Abbey & Angel Raider
Felines: Mischief & Calypso

Were there any test results to base the decision on?

It's really best to do a full thyroid panel including fT4 by equilibrium dialysis and TSH from an experienced lab such as MSU before starting a dog on thyroid meds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ditto what Batmom said. In my early days of greyhound ownership I had Goldie on it for years because the vet said he needed it based on some simple little test. Later when I switched to a board certified vet I was told that he didn't and was given a protocol to wean him off of it! I did. He was a healthy dog for several years after that. He didn't need it in the first place! And when I think that for years I was giving him a drug that he didn't need because I stupidly and unquestionly believed a vet! :angryfire Of course the vet didn't care that it was a threat to Goldies health taking medicine he didn't need because he sold years worth of pills that were not needed. :bugeyeJust another reason I don't believe vets anymore until I research it myself. I learned.

I have seen weight loss associated with thyroid issues. It's more unusual, but it can happen. I wouldn't worry about DC being put on Soloxine to see if this helps her. It's worth the try.

Did your vet tell you what her T4 results were? The only other question is whether your vet is aware the normal range for a greyhound is lower than other breeds. While this simple test (T4) isn't always the perfect indicator it's a starting point.

T4

Greyhounds: .5 - 3.6 (mean 1.47+/- .63)

Other dogs: 1.52 - 3.60

These figures are from a University of Florida study of thyroid function in 221 greyhounds - 97 racers, 99 broods, and 25 studs - so it included both racers and "retired." While greyhound thyroid levels are a whole chapter unto themselves, a good rule of thumb is that greyhound T4s run about half that of other breeds.

Reading Dr. Stack's artile about Hypothyroidism might be helpful to you:

Greythealth

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Your pup sounds like she needs some kind of help, so I hope this works for her.

As Chicocat says, lower-than-expected weight can occur in hypothyroid dogs, as well.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

My Curfew is on Soloxine 0.7mg/twice a day. He had a "stroke," we think, a year ago Sept., and has high blood pressure. His thyroid numbers dropped drastically, and he was losing all of his hair. We did a Free T4, and my vet here, my former vet/employer, a GH savvy vet, concurred that he needed supplementation. He has been on the Soloxine for (2) months, and is a happy boy! His fur IS bunny-like, but I have also added a supplement to their food, call The Furminator, which is loaded with good stuff. Yes, I have noticed a good change in Curfew. He is also on Enalapril for his high blood pressure, 20 mg, daily, and Phenobarbital, 97.2 mg, twice a day. Other than him being very vocal, and and acting a little "retarded," for lack of a better word (probably brain damage from his stroke and seizures, a year ago), he is doing very well.

Back in Feb, he as "diagnosed" with a "presumed brain tumor," ... it could be a slow-growing benign one, but, all of the above is working, so I will leave it. Their thyroid numbers should be checked at least every six months, but, the Soloxine is a good thing, at least for Curfew.

Good Luck with yours!

D.C was put on thyroid meds today as our vet suspects issues after seeing her blood work... she has a lot of the symptoms but the weight gain... she is having weight loss.

her symptoms are:

"-Hair loss on the butt, chest and neck. Dull, brittle fur, dry flaky skin and dandruff. Hyperpigmentation is a darkening of the skin. The skin can look dark, leathery and have a different feel to it.

-Wheezing (reverse sneezing, gagging, etc)

-Seeking warm places to curl up

-A bad odor,

-Lethargy

-Various undesirable behaviors such as mental depression, sudden changes in temperament, fearfulness, excessive separation anxiety "

I trust my vet but i hate putting my aniamls on meds, i have also added sea kelp to her diet as it is supposed to help regulate the thyroid.

with her taking the meds what should i be expecting??? i was told to watch for some results with in 4-6 weeks and if she seems to not be taking well to the meds to take her off them and call him.

Here is a common list of symptoms of hypothyroidism...except for the weight loss, it certainly fits most of DC's symptoms:

What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Lethargic behavior such as a lack of interest in play, frequent napping, tiring out on long walks

Weight gain, sometimes without an apparent gain in appetite

Bacterial infections of the skin

Dry skin

Hair loss, especially on the trunk or tail (“rat’s tail”)

Discoloration or thickening of the skin where hair loss has occurred

Cold intolerance/seeking out warm places to lie down

Slow heart rate

Chronic ear infections

Severe behavioral changes such as unprovoked aggression, head tilt, seizures, anxiety and/or compulsivity

Depression

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest Lovey_Hounds

We had blood tests done and that how our vet suspected thyroid. what he told us is to put her on the thyroid meds for 6 weeks and see if there is any change, if we see any side effects that are bad we are to contact him and take her off it right away. after the 6 weeks we are to go and do blood work again to see if there are any changes.

I had also started her ( and the other 2) on sea kelp the week before ...sea kelp is said to help regulate minor thyroid issues and such its also filled with many good vitamins too. that seems to be kicking in a bit too as she was playing in the yard tonight chasing vegas and chili around and barking at them, she hasnt tried to play in a while until tonight she even chased me for a bit and was play bowing at me and smiling!

I dont want to have her on medication perminently, has anyone else been able to not use the meds long term???? i am researching everything i can to find a natural way to work with this.

I have never seen any side effects from Soloxine. Cutie has been on .6 Soloxine since she was about five (she just turned 11) and I have her tested when her annual bloodwork is done. The recheck at 6 weeks will tell you if they have the dosage right - it usually is the first time.

I'm really glad to hear she is feeling better. It's been a long time, but it seems that I could tell a difference pretty quickly too.

Give that sweet girl an extra hug!

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Here is information and links I sent to somone else about hyoothyroidism in greyhounds. Since the T4 in greyhounds is lower than other dogs, it is highly recommended to do a full thyroid panel, not medicate based on T4 only, especailly if the dog has no symptoms. DC has many of the textbook symptoms of hypo thyroidism; however, many of these symptoms can also be due to other illnesses. (By the way, with ghs, weight loss can occur rather than weight gain.) The full thyroid panel from Michigan State (the go to place for thyroid issues) is not that expensive and well worth the peace of mind that you are doing the right thing. There is a lot of information, but please read it and check out the links. They will help with your questions and concerns. If your vet is open to it, share them with him/her.

The things to watch for with thyroid meds and dosage is that the dogs don't swing the other way toward hyperthroidim.

Wishing DC and you well!

As written to someone else (since this is copied the links may not work - just copy and paste them to your address bar):

"Hi! I'm sending you thyroid info and links that you may be interested in. There is a lot; but, I, for one, like to be as fully informed as possible. Especially with this breed, there's so much to know. While local vets deal with our babies regularly, sometimes something comes up that they are not used to. Hope it helps.

Elizabeth

Soloxine is the name brand for canine thyroid meds. I’ve heard of numerous greyhounds not doing as well on the generic version, with some even becoming grumpy and down right aggressive. When I’ve mentioned that to a number of vets, most of them have said that not just with Greys but with all dogs, thyroid medication is one of the ones where generic can work differently than the brand name.

Dosing: It is also recommended to half the “normal dog” dose of Soloxine for greyhounds.

Michigan State Univ is considered THE place to send samples for thyroid related tests. Don’t forget, especially with greyhounds, it’s a good idea to use a full thyroid panel or at least look at the TSH rather than going by T4 only. A normal T4 range for a Grey is .5 – 3.6. These numbers are from a Univ of FL study on greyhound thyroid function.

http://animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/Endoc...roid_Canine.php

You may want to check the Ohio State Univ greyhound section. There's information about more than cancer.

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2095.htm

Bill Feeman, Animal Medical Centre of Medina, has done a lot of research and work with greyhounds. He is one of the top greyhound vets and has worked a great deal with Dr Couto and Ohio State Univ greyhound section. By the way, he also is on the GreyTalk website and responds to folks on there. (He owns several greys)

His practice has an online library:

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com/library.htm

You may want to look at “Greyhound Labwork”, “Greyhound Health Packet 2008”, and FAQs.

Here is the link to Suzanne Stack’s website:

http://www.greythealth.com/

You will notice that the normal range can differ from vet to vet. This is what Dr Feeman wrote me about that (when I had written him about a foster):

“The trouble with comparing across labs is that there are often different "normal" ranges based on the machine that is used... as you can see, Dr. Stack's lab has a different dog normal range than does your lab. For this reason it does make it harder to compare her Greyhound normals exactly. For example, if I tried to apply her creatinine levels listed

Creatinine

Greyhounds: .8 - 1.6

Other dogs: .0 - 1.0

to my lab... then more than 80% of the dogs that I would see would have kidney disease and an even higher percentage of Greyhounds! Her normals are not "wrong"... they are just right for her lab, not mine. Make sense?

Anyway... nothing alarming for me in your CBC. I would probably follow-up with a Pcv/Hct in 1-2 weeks just to make sure it isn't dropping but likely nothing more than that. “

Some other links you may want to check:

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/g...nd_lab_work.htm

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/hypot.html Click on the link about greyhounds.

http://www.greyhoundfriendsnj.org/info/display?PageID=1356 "

Thankfully, Curfew is doing well on Soloxine :-) But, like with humans, meds can effect everyone differently.

Oh! In case I wasn't clear, it's the generic that some dogs don't do well with. Soloxine is the brand name.

Guest Energy11
Thankfully, Curfew is doing well on Soloxine :-) But, like with humans, meds can effect everyone differently.

Oh! In case I wasn't clear, it's the generic that some dogs don't do well with. Soloxine is the brand name.

I got ya! :-))))

Guest Lovey_Hounds

She is doing pretty well so far on her meds she seems a bit more active and not as crabby ( she has all of her teeth and they are in good condtion so crabby is never good)... we went to a greyhound fundraiser today and she was very happy and relaxed a dog even stepped on her while she was sleeping she didnt try to eat it!

Guest Energy11

Glad the meds are working! How long has she been on them? Optimal time is 6-8 weeks, then hey retest the thyroid levels. Curfew is doing well on his :-)) Good Luck, and great news for you.