Spay Cost?

vjgrey

Is it normal to pay over $500 for a spay, or is my vet just obscenely expensive? I did request all of the "optional," pre-surgery bloodwork, etc . . but I expected something more in the $300 range.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

It depends on where you are... prices here can go from $200-$600 for a spay.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I paid over $500 for Pooh recently

We did go with the pre anesthetic blood work. No dental or anything other then the spay. I even had the meds (pain and antibiotics) so there was no charge for those.

But then again I know my vet is crazy high on their prices. Heck I paid $40 for a bag of fluids. Yes just the bag of fluids <_<

I wouldn't mind paying a small fortune if I were happier with our vet. In Oklahoma, I used a vet who I knew was expensive and drove 45 minutes to see him. I didn't mind at all, because he was phenomenal with my dogs, and he has a lot of experience with greyhounds.

This vet isn't bad, but he's not good enough to justify what we're paying. We're moving soon, so it's a moot point, but if we weren't, I'd definitely be changing vets.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest KennelMom

That's a bit high for our area. When Tater was spayed, with the pre-anes. bloodwork I think it was around $300. She didn't need a dental, so that was just the bloodwork and spay. The post-op pain killers we had at home already, but that doesn't add too much to the bill anyway.

It depends on where you are... prices here can go from $200-$600 for a spay.

Agreed. I paid almost $600.00 when Pooter was done. She had all the pre-op blood work done and she also had a tooth extracted. Normal for our area and I don't mind paying it for excellent work. Pooter came home the same day and was eating that night. She did beautifully.

Guest TBSFlame

With bloodwork that's about right for the Charlotte area. My recent vet bill for them washing out Star's nose and a few stitches including a few cultures is up to $600...so far.

Guest kodywyoming

O.O

I'm always amazed at the spay prices.

I paid about $80 to have a cat spayed a few years ago. People say, well, that's just a tiny cat...but to have a horse neutered (which would almost always be a home/farm visit), it's about $100-200, and we're talking about a 500+lb animal. And then you pay up to $600 for a dog?! This does not make sense to me.

(Luckily, Zoey's spay was covered by the adoption group, because I would never have been able to afford that right off the bat.)

I live in a rural part of Pa. my last cost we $285.00 but that was with additional cost of a rabies, heartworm testing, and heartgurad meds, and a removal of a dew claw that grew back after removal from the breeder, nail clipping and microchipping at the same time, I know vet cost due depend on what part of the country you live in

Guest RocketDog

There is a spay/neuter clinic in my area that does all the vetwork for my group's dogs, and I think it runs somewhere around $150 for a spay, not including fluids or pre-op bloodwork. There is an even lower-priced mobile spay/neuter clinic that will do a spay for $60-90 depending on the weight of the dog, and that includes pain meds.

I paid $250 at a fairly high dollar vet in Dallas about 5 years ago.

This thread makes me think of my first grey Little Girl. She was sort of a private adoption, not via a group. The deal was I had to pay for her spay and shots. In 1999 I wrote Doc Smart in Abilene, KS a check for $50 to cover both.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

$150 for bloodwork here and unless I'm dropping off an animal that had bloodwork done in recent weeks, they are not doing surgery on a dog of mine without bloodwork.

No idea what the price is here for a spay or neuter.

When we dropped T off for his neuter, I signed paperwork saying he was to have bloodwork done before hand and if the shelter didn't normally pay for it, I would.

When I was looking at adopting an unaltered female, I think I was quoted around $300-400 in Salem, MA for the spay.

Guest hvacman250

Our group pays $105 for a spay at a decent vet. My personal vet, who is greyhound savvy, charges $125-175 depending on age and weight. A full blood panel is $100.

I would pay no more than $250 for a spay/neuter WITH pre-op bloodwork.

Guest WhiteWave

I always purchase a voucher from the Humane Society for $60, all vaccines $30, pre op blood work $80. So under $200. The vet that does them does a great job, small incision- usually just glued. On the 2 female Greys she did for me, the incisions were around 1" long and healed very fast.

Wow! Our prices for dentals are higher than most (making me think this area is higher priced than many) but I've never heard of a dog spay going over $220, even with all the "bells and whistles"

Ditto... until... Called my vet here in the Atlanta area for a quote for my little Deehound mix, 60 lbs. The quote was $500 which did include blood work & pain meds. Next I contacted the vet clinic that does the Greyhound spay/neuters for our adoption group. Their quote was in the $200's & I know they have loads of sighthound experience. In the end, that is where I took my girl. For $230 she had pre-op blood work, was spayed, got pain meds to take home plus she was microchipped. She breezed through it all.

I love my vets & will continue to use them but sometimes when it comes to price ya gotta vote with your feet so I hoofed it over to the affordable place who I trusted just as much.