Need Stitches - No Vet For 100 Miles!

Guest MZH

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a vet in the vicinity of West Yellowstone? Our Graham stepped out of the van and was dripping blood from a 1.5 inch cut under his "knee." I suppose it would heal on its own but it would heal much quicker if it had stitches. We think he had a small cut but was working on it while we were on the road today. Never heard a lick out of him!

Or -- has anyone used Superglue on a cut like this rather than going to the vet? Years ago, an ER vet used it on one of our dogs who had a bad ear cut, so that may be our best option this time.

Guest Energy11

I wouldn't use Super Glue. I believe the "medical version" is a bit different.

I am sure the wound will heal, like you said, keeping it clean and wrapped. I have healed much worse on mine without stitches.

It stinks when you are traveling, and have to find a vet. Hopefully, you will find one soon. Keep an eye on the cut, to be sure it doesnt' start to get infected.

Good Luck!

First off, go to any pharmacy and pick up wound wash saline, antibiotic spray or ointment, cotton gauze, and self-adhesive flexible bandaging (this is the same as vet-wrap, but available for people in pharmacies). All this stuff is in the first-aid section of any pharmacy. Wash the wound well with the spray saline, then pat dry with gauze, then apply antibiotic spray or ointment, then gently lay fresh cotton gauze over the wound and carefully wrap it up with the self-adhesive bandage. Use more than you think you'll need. Don't make it too tight as you don't want to cut off circulation, but tight enough to stay on. This will buy you time to get to a vet who can do stitches.

I would not use superglue on a skin tear wound.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest vaghmom_x2
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a vet in the vicinity of West Yellowstone? Our Graham stepped out of the van and was dripping blood from a 1.5 inch cut under his "knee." I suppose it would heal on its own but it would heal much quicker if it had stitches. We think he had a small cut but was working on it while we were on the road today. Never heard a lick out of him!

Or -- has anyone used Superglue on a cut like this rather than going to the vet? Years ago, an ER vet used it on one of our dogs who had a bad ear cut, so that may be our best option this time.

Here's one that is listed the West Yellowstone, MT Chamber of Commerce web site:

White & White Veterinary Hospital & Supply

Gibbon Avenue

West Yellowstone, MT 59758 or

5098 U.S. Hwy 287 Ennis, MT 59729

Phone:(406) 682-7151

The West Yellowstone office is located on Gibbon Avenue (behind Blue Ribbon Flies). Complete health care for pets, horses and other livestock. We offer pet boarding and grooming at the Ennis office. West Yellowstone office hours, Monday and Wednesday 8:30 am-12:00 noon.

Call (406) 682-7151 for an appointment. Appointments are advised for your convenience.

Guest scfilby

I have used plain off the shelf superglue on cuts many times. Both on my hounds and on myself, including a tail skin from a door and a 1" triangle tear on the the ribs. Cuts are frequent in my line of work, and we all use it instead of stitches.

Cyanoacrylate glue is what you need. Locktite, crazyglue, etc. If you can, trim back the hair and apply a few drops into the lip of the cut. Hold for a few seconds until bonded. If you glue a finger to the wound, roll it off slowly don't try to pull it straight off.

If you are uncomfortable with superglue, you can pay more for liquid stitches at a pharmacy which is just more expensive superglue...

Some good advice from ZoomDoggy. If it isn't gaping wide or gushing blood, it'll likely heal if cleaned and wrapped. If it's in a spot on the leg that gets a lot of flex, it could perhaps benefit from stitches/staples but doesn't sound like an emergency.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Here is another one in West Yellowstone:

Gale H DVM

201 S Canyon St

West Yellowstone, MT 59758

(406) 646-4410‎

It is about 71 miles to Ennis, MT and there are several vets there (even White & White who are also in West Yellowstone).

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

First off, go to any pharmacy and pick up wound wash saline, antibiotic spray or ointment, cotton gauze, and self-adhesive flexible bandaging (this is the same as vet-wrap, but available for people in pharmacies). All this stuff is in the first-aid section of any pharmacy. Wash the wound well with the spray saline, then pat dry with gauze, then apply antibiotic spray or ointment, then gently lay fresh cotton gauze over the wound and carefully wrap it up with the self-adhesive bandage. Use more than you think you'll need. Don't make it too tight as you don't want to cut off circulation, but tight enough to stay on. This will buy you time to get to a vet who can do stitches.

Thanks! I have all that except, probably not enough. I have a carton of vet wrap at home in all different sizes; ARGH! Right now it's got the nonstick gauze and the vet wrap which keeps falling off w/o using paper tape which I don't have enough off. I'll change it in the AM and do the saline and use a lot more vetwrap.

I have some EMT gel. Should I use that instead of the antibiotic ointment?

Guest Energy11

Thanks! I have all that except, probably not enough. I have a carton of vet wrap at home in all different sizes; ARGH! Right now it's got the nonstick gauze and the vet wrap which keeps falling off w/o using paper tape which I don't have enough off. I'll change it in the AM and do the saline and use a lot more vetwrap.

I have some EMT gel. Should I use that instead of the antibiotic ointment?

I would get some triple antibiotic ointment. Generic is fine. Transpore tape is THE best, ... all I use. You can also get that at the pharmacy. Good Luck and try to get some rest. :))

Hi all,

Here's one that is listed the West Yellowstone, MT Chamber of Commerce web site:

White & White Veterinary Hospital & Supply

Gibbon Avenue

West Yellowstone, MT 59758 or

5098 U.S. Hwy 287 Ennis, MT 59729

Phone:(406) 682-7151

The West Yellowstone office is located on Gibbon Avenue (behind Blue Ribbon Flies). Complete health care for pets, horses and other livestock. We offer pet boarding and grooming at the Ennis office. West Yellowstone office hours, Monday and Wednesday 8:30 am-12:00 noon.

Call (406) 682-7151 for an appointment. Appointments are advised for your convenience.

Thank you! I just called the number and they exist. It's after hours but they had a long answering machine message. It'll be a good place to pick up supplies, too. :colgate It never occured to me to check the Chamber of Commerce web site. Bless you for the tip!

Here is another one in West Yellowstone:

Gale H DVM

201 S Canyon St

West Yellowstone, MT 59758

(406) 646-4410‎

It is about 71 miles to Ennis, MT and there are several vets there (even White & White who are also in West Yellowstone).

Yes, I tried Gale but their number was disconnected. The White and White is there though. Thanks!

You ladies -- and gentleman --really rock! This is why I love Greytalk. I pose a question, walk the dogs, and come back with all I need to know. I am so grateful to you all!

Edited by MZH

If one of those doesn't pan out, I used to work in Ennis Lake, MT; it's an hour and a half away, but it's a nice place.

Leslie Hugh A Vet

Ennis, MT 59729

(406) 682-4283

Madison Valley Veterinarian Ennis Trade Ctr # 10 Ennis (406) 682-4007

White & White Veterinary Hosp 5098 US Highway 287 N Ennis (406) 682-7151

Douglas B Young 116 Hugel St Ennis (406) 682-7956

Some of these may not be small animal vets; there's a lot of herd management going on, what with the buffalo in the area. There's also another listed in West Yellowstone:

West Yellowstone Veterinary 125 Geyser West Yellowstone (406) 646-7886

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

i have successfully used just plain old saline solution, which i make...boil water add salt, taste- it should not be salty-salty just a tad of salt to the taste and irrigate 3xs a day. plain gauze will remove the outer crusties as it heals, you want a wound to heal from the inside out. i had a long tear on one of my dogs hocks was irrigated and bandaged and then healed nicely in a little more than a week.

i use a triple antibiotic ointment only once, in the beginning i give it a dose and then just keep it clean and irrigated. the saline does an excellent job, the ointment prevents the scabbing.

i have successfully used just plain old saline solution, which i make...boil water add salt, taste- it should not be salty-salty just a tad of salt to the taste and irrigate 3xs a day. plain gauze will remove the outer crusties as it heals, you want a wound to heal from the inside out. i had a long tear on one of my dogs hocks was irrigated and bandaged and then healed nicely in a little more than a week.

i use a triple antibiotic ointment only once, in the beginning i give it a dose and then just keep it clean and irrigated. the saline does an excellent job, the ointment prevents the scabbing.

Sounds good; the injury is probably in the same place. If we can't get to a vet today I'll do the saline. It's got some depth to it, so we'll try to get a vet to look at it. Thanks!

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I have also used superglue on me and the dogs. When I used to work at the vet i learned as long as its NEW superglue its sterlie once its been open its no longer sterile but its cheap so toss it or toss it into the craft drawer.

If its on the knee area though likly it wont hold. The wrapping and cleaning advice is the best route.

OK, Graham saw Dr White today (the husband; his wife was in their Ennis office). The office here in W Yellowstone is for very basic care and does no surgical stuff like stitches -- their other office 70 miles away is though. He thought that the butterfly closure bandaid I had applied after cleaning the wound was a great alternative, except use more if possible.

He is also a fan of Superglue and uses the medical version often. He had no problem with using the OTC stuff for something of this nature if I wanted to. He did caution about a bone infection given the close location to the knee. The boy is on antibiotics to help avoid that.

He is a big fan of letting air get to the wound if it won't get dirty. For this wound he didn't like EMT gel. If he shows signs of infection we have to get him in for debridement and stitches.

All in all, it was a very informative visit. Hope this helps someone!