We Are Trying Something Else But

Guest koolaidnconner

We have done the boiled chx and rice, hamburgar and rice, it only makes it worse. And I have talked to Robin on the phone and she suggested making sure he gets into see an internal medicine veterinarian. I just went and picked up the flaygl from the vets and she was gone out but left a message for her to call me about that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

Feeding hamburger and rice is the "beginning" of an elimination diet. A true elimination diet can take between 1 to 3 months to go through and consists of trying different proteins, carbos, and veggies to see which one(s) are tolerated.

If the hamburger and rice don't work - try using tilapia (fish) and sweet potatoes (I believe this is what Robin used). These two are not likely to be found in dog food and hence, hopefully will not cause a reaction.

Of course, check with the nutritionist -- they should have the last say on what you should do.

I have used Dr. Remaillard at Angel Memorial in Boston to set up the diets for my dog -- I believe she does phone consults.

You're in my thoughts Amanda.... :grouphug :grouphug :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :grouphug

I really really hope poor Conner can catch a break :candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest koolaidnconner
I'm sorry to be coming in so late, and since I haven't read all the posts I apologize if I'm redundant, but basically:

Has Connor been formally diagnosed, by biopsy (either endoscopically or via open procedure) to have IBD? There are several subsets of IBD which can affect the treatment plan, so you want to be sure Connor has received the correct diagnosis in all regards.

Is Connor still on steroids? If so, regular prednisone, or has he been put onto budesonide, which (as Entocort) has a direct effect on the bowel and far less side effects for him. If he's failing, the vet should have jacked up his steroids to help control his symptoms.

The bottom line to IBD is that it is an autoimmune or immune-mediated disease. Besides dietary modifications, most dogs with severe disease also need to be on adequate immunosuppression. The goal is to achieve this ASAP, and preferably without the use of steroids (or, alternatively, using budesonide). There are several drugs used to modulate the immune system in dogs (and in humans): Imuran, cyclosporin, cytoxan, leflumonide, and other chemotherapeutic agents. This is why bringing Connor to see an Internal Med vet, preferably one very familiar with autoimmune diseases and with IBD -- the majority of internal vets do not feel comfortable working with and managing these drugs. You need a vet who is completely confident prescribing and monitoring the dog while on immunomodulators, and, having gone through this with my Angel Lexi, it's imperative that you find someone well-versed in the use of drugs that can have side effects, cause liver impairment, increase risk of infection, etc.

Gotta run to see a patient - later.......

Thank you, Robyn actually suggested I talk to you. I will try and answer all your questions. Conner has been stamped from pathology with IBD. We had a scope done. He is on predinisone 40 mg/day, 5 tablets(250mg each) a day of metronidazole and 50mg of imuran per day. We actually had him good for about 8 months or so and then he relapsed and this is where we are it, he has severe diaherra, some pudding like splattered poop or its like water. We had just today 8 spots of diaherra, he vomited 2x yesterday. The diaherra has been going on for a week now. He started imuran 3 weeks ago and he seemed to be getting a little better.

We went in to the vet last Friday for his first CBC for being on imuran and by the time I got home he had some bloody diaherra and it has not gotten better since. We went back on Monday and found his liver values were a tad high but the vet said nothing to worry about we will just continue monitoring it every 2 weeks.

His appetite is off and on. Yesterday morning he ate like he had been starved and then last night he ate maybe a cup of food.

Thank you for any suggestions you have.

PS - I just took Conner outside and his poop was not water, a little better than usual, it's been like water.

Lots of good vibes for Connor coming your way :grouphug

And just out of my own curiosity- is there any reason why an exclusive raw diet wouldn't help benefit an IBD dog?

Edited by iHound

And just out of my own curiosity- is there any reason why an exclusive raw diet wouldn't help benefit an IBD dog?

In cases where the IBD is caused by vegetable matter or microbial growth as a function of vegetable matter, yes- it can. However, when the damage gets so bad that the autoimmune reaction will not dampen itself, then medication is required. Similarly, if the IBD is compounded by specific animal proteins, then those sensitizers must be excluded as well.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

There isn't anything special about raw with respect to protein sensitivities. Raw, cooked, kibbled .... doesn't matter. If the dog reacts to that protein, he reacts to it in all its forms. Except possibly the pre-processed forms available in prescrip foods like HA and ZD.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

In cases where the IBD is caused by vegetable matter or microbial growth as a function of vegetable matter, yes- it can. However, when the damage gets so bad that the autoimmune reaction will not dampen itself, then medication is required. Similarly, if the IBD is compounded by specific animal proteins, then those sensitizers must be excluded as well.

Okay gotcha! Thanks for the explanation :)

Just checking in to send some more good thoughts :grouphug:goodluck :goodluck :candle

How is he doing?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest sophjoe03

I am sorry to hear about Conner. I know how you feel. I am going through something similar with my Josie and we are running out of time and options. All the symtoms you have said, my Josie has them. We have been to the vet and have no answers.

Best of luck

Heidie