New And Hopeful...

Teensy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeddysMom

I've been sitting on pins and needles just waiting for you to get her home and see some more pictures. I am so excited that Irene is going to be yours. I love her stuffy green frog, she is going to be so spoiled.

Glad I could spread the anxiety around. :lol:

I should probably let you in on the fact that we're not even leaving for the foster home, one hour away, until 6:00. Depending on how late we get back, there may be no pictures of her tonight, but I'll probably post some more teasers before we leave. I'm waiting on a package from Drs. Foster and Smith. :)

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

We believe Irene should have a background in the sciences for a successful retirement...

3923122841_d461f01372.jpg

And with this, we enter the great elevated feeder debate...she'll be eating in her crate for the foreseeable future, but we have the option!

3923094609_714470579e.jpg

Edited by Teensy

Aww, it's so exciting, I know- I can completely and totally relate. I just went through this and we thought too that we would bring home a different boy, but wanted to meet the ones that were suitable for our family (cats, baby, etc.)- We drove 5 hours, one way to Memphis and back with him a week ago last Saturday, and life will never be the same. He was the one, the second he ran through those doors to us, and we knew it. We had wanted a GH for years also, and finally felt like the time was right after losing our other pup back in the Spring. Life was empty without a dog, and now that True has come home, things are feeling much better... Slowly but surely- We are adjusting (all of us), and having to be very patient as our big boy adjusts to life off the track and in a home with all people and cats. He is very loved and I think he knows this, but it will take time for him to know that we are his family.. For real and for good. We are having a blast in the meantime, seeing new things, smelling new smells, meeting other dogs and people, (even got to meet a former kennel mate at the Farmer's Market last weekend who he will get to go run with sometime soon) and now we have this wonderful forum that is a wonderful distraction from what I SHOULD be doing! I adore him and suddenly, I want to paint him (on canvas, not on his body), photograph him, design cute Greyhound graphics, kiss him, love him, hold him.. You name it. It feels like a decade in the making (and basically it was) and to have him home finally is just an amazing feeling. I am SO happy for you and your husband.. Good for you, congratulations for you and congratulations for Irene, who is about to know what it's like to be adored in a way that only nutty greyhound people can understand. :) Yay for you and your little family!!!

P.S. You'll have to start a dogbook page! I just discovered it! If and when you do (since you're techy and all), friend True Mayer. He needs new pals! (that goes for the rest of y'all too :))

So, we've made it through the first night, and she delivered, as promised, small hourly operatic performances, but it actually wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated, and they got shorter as the night went on.

We did actually visit the Canton Dog Park this morning, as it was deserted but for a man with three fairly old dogs, which Irene had absolutely no interest in. She also showed little interest in running, except when I started running, but she had a good sniff of the place.

Here is a picture.

3926251532_2fb842328e.jpg

The good news is, Eric is on a call right next to her cage and she hasn't made so much as a peep since we got home. I think she's sleeping, now :)

(edit: unmuzzled for the photo only, lest you think I didn't take the warnings seriously)

Edited by Teensy

Zuni doesn't run much at that dog park either. She practically refuses to step off the path onto the gravel. Bootsy, on the other hand, ran until he hurt himself. That's why no more fosters to the dog park for me, but that's another story.

Zuni also likes to pick on the dogs playing fetch there. She crouches and then jumps at them when the run by. They proceed to drop their tennis ball and run away.

She is a seductress, it's true.

We met a terrier in Patterson Park, and it did that thing where they come up and sniff and then suddenly bolt away. Irene took for the bait for second and got a little excited, but I didn't have any trouble getting her attention back. It was very cool. She's a great dog to walk.

It usually takes other sighthounds to get greyhounds running. Other dogs don't quite know how to play the same way. I'm SO relieved to hear that Irene is being quiet in her crate. I really think you guys are the best fit for her. Jon and I went out to the pub to celebrate last night. :cheers

Oh yes - our Iris loves terriers at dog parks. Particularly those that have tennis balls. The terrier chases the tennis ball and Iris chases the terrier. But when the terrier gets the ball, Iris just stands around waiting for the owner to throw the ball for the terrier.

I'm SO relieved to hear that Irene is being quiet in her crate. I really think you guys are the best fit for her. Jon and I went out to the pub to celebrate last night. :cheers

She's not totally quiet 100% of the time. If one of us passes by her crate or makes eye contact or speaks to her, it gets her going, but it doesn't last long, and otherwise she's been quiet. I went to return the zipcar and Eric said she was quiet the whole time. She gave me a "down" for her dinner, too. I was dead impressed. She just sounded like a dog that would be fun to work with. When I read your description of her, well, if I had been a dog, my ears would have been standing up, you know? :P

Guest houndstooth4

Congratulations!

Bunny and Blue don't run at the dog park until another dog runs for them to chase, either. They like to chase dogs and pass them, but they won't run first.