New And Hopeful...

Teensy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:welcome2 Hello from Northern Virginia! DH and I were married for nearly 10 years before we decided to get our first dog together. Our first was our grey girl Celeste... now, three years later, and we have two more.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Harry702

GW is a great group. We adopted Harry through them and have done some temporary fostering for them as well (hope to continue with that as soon as our house is done). My advice would be to go to the Open House with lots of questions. There will be volunteers happy to answer your questions and share their advice.

Best of luck!

Oh this is such a lovley story, I hope you get a greyhound soon there are so many lovely dogs out there badly needing good homes. I am only a new owner myself and found my little girl on the side of a country road in Ireland. I really dont know what I would do without her. I dream about her when I am asleep, I think about her when I am away her and I hug her to bits when she is with me....they are beautiful gentle dogs, very very sweet nature. I have a pup who I know already is high engry but in a very sweet way, very clever as well, bright as a button!

The best thing I did, also this website is fantastic, full of excellant support, I am only here a couple of days and everyone on this site has being so nice!

Looking forward to your updates on when you get your baby :colgate

Guest jessie1234

Best of luck! We are currently fostering Chloe, she is an angel! I really cant image us parting with her. She has brought so much joy to everyone in our home! :colgate

Edited by jessie1234

Guest FrostyBottoms

Welcome from Chicago! Greyt story!!! Good luck tomorrow! I wonder how long before you get your 2nd greyhound. I'm gonna say 4 months after the first. :)

Well, the meet and greet was a resounding success. We are still waiting for the home visit before we can be approved, but we did find true greyhound love. Someone else is visiting "our girl" at her foster home tomorrow, though, so she may not end up with us. We wish her the best possible outcome, in any case. In the mean time, we wait patiently for our moment, our dog.

Edited by Teensy
3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Hi and welcome from Philly. :wave

Your "perfect" greyhound will be there - if it is the girl that you fell for today, that is awesome. If the people meeting her tomorrow are 'her people' yours will be there. Greyhounds sometimes 'pick' their people and only time will tell. It will all be exactly as it is supposed to be. If it is a different greyhound that is meant to be yours, guaranteed after 2 days under your greyhounds spell, you will say what other girl :lol

GW is a greyt group and does an awesome job of matching the perfect hound for each home. :)

Congrats, they are well worth the wait!!! :wub:

Guest agroshong

Welcome to GT! Another GW adopter, here. Hope you were able to get out to an open house this weekend, meet some of the fine fosters and ambassadogs running about, and got to chat with some volunteers! You're in good company in the DC metro area -- so many dedicated adoption groups.

Guest barkdogs

:D :D :D Welcome to pointy nosed hounds. They can be addicting.

I met my first grey at a wonderful animal shelter called the Haven Animal Care Shelter in Idalou, Texas, run by two of the dearest people I have met. It is an old emu farm, so many of the dogs are housed in these big runs, with a shed and dog houses in each for shade/shelter.

I came by one day and saw a greyhound in one of the runs by next to the access road. I had met a grey or two and was fascinated by the breed, so I made a beeline for her pen. I visited with her for a while (her name was Trish) and when I left, I noticed that the bungee securing the gate to her pen was worn so I went to find another, and I secured it a little looser because I was afraid it would snap.

So I am walking along the side of the road and suddenly I sense this presence, and I looked down and there was Trish, quietly walking right at my hip. Like that's where she belonged.

Well, I resisted for about 3 weeks as I already had 4 rescue aussies. Then I took her as a foster as it turned out she had heartworms (successfully treated) but when I found out her skin growths were cancerous I figured "who is gonna want a 7 year old greyhound with cancer" so I kept her. I am now an incurable addict.

Trish was an old, old soul. She was blind in one eye (cause unknown) a beautiful fawn and white. The day before she died, I had to deliver artwork to a show in New York--she was pretty sick and I didn't want to leave her, so I took her along as it was a beautiful, cool spring day. I will never forget the sight of my art dealer (who had the premier gallery in ceramics in the nation at the time) this dignified, highly respected man with a lovely South African lilt to his voice, on his hands and knees in the back of my truck paying homage to Trish "the dish." Still makes me smile when I think of it.

Same said dealer eventually "retired" in Santa Fe, and the first thing he and his partner did was go to the city shelter to adopt their first dogs. Two old ladies whose owner had died. Something tells me Trish somehow had a hand in that one!!!

Guest smudgebear

Hi! My husband and I are in a very similar position, so I can relate. We just filled out an application to adopt our first greyhound this weekend! We are very excited and hope that it all works out. Good luck to you! Hopefully we'll both have good news to share in the near future! :)

Welcome from another Marylander AND a GW volunteer to boot! (I do 3-month follow-up calls for them...)

There are some great GW volunteers on here... PJ comes instantly to mind - he fosters... AND our picnic is coming up on Halloween daytime!

Enjoy GT, and I look forward to meeting you and seeing who picks you!!

PS - I don't know the Baltimore area very well... I live down nearer to DC... I DO know there are lots of great restaurants in B'more though!

Edited by ozgirl2

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge