New And Hopeful...

Teensy

Yes, we met PJ and his dog and foster dog this weekend. Really nice. He lives pretty close to us, actually. He said more dogs were coming this week and next week, too. Exciting! Sounds like a pretty tight ship. I've been thinking about joining the ranks, but first, I have to see how things settle with a new job and other volunteer commitments and, of course, the new dog. I'm sure there will be time, and it's a good cause.

We wait...

Oh, yeah, there he is. Hi, PJ! Great picture.

Well, we are very enthusiastic about the dogs, and spazzy internet nerds as well, so it was kind of a no-brainer to join GT, at least for me. Eric doesn't like forums, so I'm the GT social liaison for our house.

Edited by Teensy
3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we met PJ and his dog and foster dog this weekend. Really nice. He lives pretty close to us, actually. He said more dogs were coming this week and next week, too. Exciting! Sounds like a pretty tight ship. I've been thinking about joining the ranks, but first, I have to see how things settle with a new job and other volunteer commitments and, of course, the new dog. I'm sure there will be time, and it's a good cause.

Oh, don't worry. We'll sucker you in contact you regarding volunteer opportunities eventually :gmark

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hi Tina - PJ clued me into the fact that you are already a rabid greyhound fan.

As promised, I'm here to let you know that Irene has not yet been spoke for. The home visit went well, but Irene was the first dog that the couple visited, so they will see other dogs in the coming weeks to see who best fits with their 13-year-old greyhound.

In the meantime, I've unlocked Irene's Picasa album - http://picasaweb.google.com/attilagrey/Irene#. You can how skinny she was when she first came to us. Now she is fit and happy. She calmed down a lot quicker during the home visit yesterday. It could be that she's getting used to visits from strangers and/or that the visiting couple had a quiet energy. Probably both. Good luck!

Hey, thanks a lot!! Yeah, she is really skinny in those first couple of photos. She definitely looks really great, now, though.

We appreciate the fix, and thanks for letting us know how it went! We're still hoping she'll be ours, but we're trying (with all our might) not to be pushy. :)

Good luck! one great thing about fostered greys is they have a good sense of a dogs personality in the home. I know it is all very exciting and hard to hold back sometimes!

Just a word of caution, make a list of information you really need/want to know about your dog, if GW/foster home knows it. Things like when vaccinations were given, when they expire, last heartworm/flea+tick treatments were and what meds were used. It is always exciting to get a new pup but i have almost missed re-vaccinating dogs on schedule due to not fully paying attention to this. Sometimes knowing even the location of where they came from, ie-tracks, kennels, is good info.

Good luck!

Well, she just needs a good home, and she would surely be welcome here. If she chooses someone else, though, who are we to argue? :angel

(p.s. Word to Irene, cookies live here.)

:lol

Well, here's a story that may give you some hope: Waaaayyy back when I first started volunteering for GW, I did all the hauls. I'd meet the truck coming down from Seabrook up in Aberdeen and bring dogs back down to the DC area to meet the foster homes. In June of '03, I brought down two big males, Moby and George. George wouldn't let Moby lie down, so he rode the whole way with his head draped over my shoulder. I fell in love, even though he was a white dog and I really, really, really wanted a big fawn or red with a black mask (:rolleyes: ). Anyway, off he went to his foster home. At the time, dogs were staying in foster care about 2 weeks on average and white or parti-colored dogs would fly out pretty quickly. But for some reason, no one was adopting Moby, even though folks would come to open houses to meet him because his web bio and pics were so cute. I'd go hang out with his foster parents and get to love on him, and go to Open Houses where he'd be, but I just couldn't adopt at the time because I was negotiating with my landlord about having a dog. Weeks went by. I went to an Open House over in VA and another couple there spoke for him. I was heartbroken, but I figured that I'd eventually find the right dog. I met a couple other fosters, but none grabbed me. Then, the couple that had spoken for Moby changed their minds and opted for a small female bounce instead; they thought Moby was too big to do nursing home therapy work which is what they wanted to do with their dog. So, he was on the market again. Landlord levied a hefty pet fee which I paid and the next thing I knew, Moby was with me after having been in foster care for 6 weeks. Moby, now renamed Turbo, has been with me six years now :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hi Tina -

Nevermind the cookies, just having people around will be enough for Irene.

The good news is that the most recent couple did not adopt Irene. I think it might have been because she kept pushing their senior grey out of the way to get pets from the people. She is an unabashed lovehog. She doesn't need to be an only dog, but she certainly doesn't care whether or not there are other dogs around and isn't shy about shoving them out of the way. She is a loony redhead.

Just curious, how is your approval process coming along? I know what it's like to feel competitive for a greyhound. And it's very satisfying when it all works out.

Guest bonnebike
...the next thing I knew, Moby was with me after having been in foster care for 6 weeks. Moby, now renamed Turbo, has been with me six years now :)

I like this story, especially after our experience ending up with Pony. Sometimes fate intervenes and planning goes out the window.

You'll end up with the hound that is destined for you. :)

She is a loony redhead.

We are familiar with that type around here. They appear across species. :)

Just curious, how is your approval process coming along? I know what it's like to feel competitive for a greyhound. And it's very satisfying when it all works out.

We are still waiting for the home visit. We haven't heard anything since Sunday, but I'm still hoping it will happen this week. Don't know what comes after that...

T

Guest PhillyPups

:goodluck

Everything crossed here. If she is meant to be with you, she will - :hope it is so.

Remember groups are made up of volunteers and, like most of us, do things like work to get the kibble money :P

After the home visit, you are good to go. I would start getting the supplies (crates, dog bowls, etc.), if you haven't already. I also wouldn't start out with an expensive blanket for the crate. Well, at least not for Irene. She likes to shred the blanket and nest in it. :rolleyes:

I think we already warned you that a few adopters have shown interest in Irene and then went and adopted the very next greyhound they saw AFTER Irene. She gets verrry excited when new people come to meet her, and will whine a lot initially. My theory on this is that she knows the voices upstairs will ultimately come downstairs in 30 minutes and pet her a whole lot. Like I said, she is really smart. So that is my scare tactic for the day. I'll see if I can find anything about your pending home visit.

Yes, of course, of course. I also volunteer, so I know how it goes. We are just excited. Lots of humor in this thread. Of course we would take this cutie-petootie if she's available when everything goes through, but if not we know she's not the last of the loonies.

After the home visit, you are good to go. I would start getting the supplies (crates, dog bowls, etc.), if you haven't already. I also wouldn't start out with an expensive blanket for the crate. Well, at least not for Irene. She likes to shred the blanket and nest in it. :rolleyes:

I think we already warned you that a few adopters have shown interest in Irene and then went and adopted the very next greyhound they saw AFTER Irene. She gets verrry excited when new people come to meet her, and will whine a lot initially. My theory on this is that she knows the voices upstairs will ultimately come downstairs in 30 minutes and pet her a whole lot. Like I said, she is really smart. So that is my scare tactic for the day. I'll see if I can find anything about your pending home visit.

Yes, I remember this warning. :) Maybe it's worse than I can imagine, but it just doesn't sound like a behavior that would put me off of a dog that I liked. I mean, they say that the really intelligent, outgoing dogs are more of a handful, but I think we are looking for just such a "project," in a pet, and we have the time for it.

Good advice about the blanket. Maybe the old fleece from Ikea instead of the wool plaid. :)

This has been great reading over the last days!!

Good luck to you! We have a whiner, chatter, talker and love his engagement with us for it. Maybe Irene will hold you in conversation!! :-)

Yes, actually, we were hoping she would tell us jokes. :)

Thanks.

Edited by Teensy

Irene is more of a physical comedian.... flopping around and doing her one trick ("sit") for all its worth.

So the delay in the home visit is probably due to the fact that we only have one volunteer in the Baltimore area to screen homes. I saw your name listed on a weekly update with a "pending" for your home visit. Generally, they are conducted over the weekend. Hold tight!

Irene is more of a physical comedian.... flopping around and doing her one trick ("sit") for all its worth.

I think we can work that into our regular musical comedy routine.

*sings*

She's a one trick houndie

She either fails or she succeeds

She gives her testimony

Then she relaxes in the weeds

She's got one trick to last a lifetime

But thats all a houndie needs

So the delay in the home visit is probably due to the fact that we only have one volunteer in the Baltimore area to screen homes. I saw your name listed on a weekly update with a "pending" for your home visit. Generally, they are conducted over the weekend. Hold tight!

Holding tight!! Thanks.

Good luck. It will be hard for you to have just one greyhound tho. They touch your lives so much. Just a warning :lol

We've heard. And Irene already has a reputation for being "the gateway dog."