Keeping My Sense Of Humor In Spite Of The Cancer

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Timber was diagnosed with lymphoma of the GI tract 2 weeks ago. We opted to try to keep her as comfortable as possible for the time we have left, and are giving her 25mg of Prednisone per day. In two days, we're supposed to drop that to 15mg for two weeks, then down to 10 mg. I fear what that countdown means.

Emotionally, it's been a roller coaster- mostly drops, of course. But the Prednisone has given her energy and appetite that we haven't seen in a long time. She even trotted-- make that ran-- down the hall the other day. Last week, I bought her a new stuffie and she even played with it for a few minutes! I got that on video.

She's skinny as heck, but she eats like a maniac! It's chicken and rice each meal, sometimes with tuna fish, sometimes with plain yogurt, treats throughout the day, frozen yogurt when it's hot (and here in LA it's been 100+ for the past week- and we have no AC! yikes), and of course, peanut butter with her pills.

Tonight when I got home from work, DH was making her dinner (boiled chicken and rice) and the smell was making her go crazy! She was CRAZED. Yes, that's a good way to put it. She was so excited to get to eat her chicken, she danced around, couldn't sit down, was snapping little bits of food out of our hands like a rabid dog. In a cute way. It's good to see her have a little spunk. It cracked me up.

I know it's the Prednisone making her so hungry. I do hope we're feeding her enough. Her poops are smaller than ever, and she's so skinny, but she is gobbling up everything we give her.

From here on out, it's love love love. I'm really nervous about decreasing her medicine dosage. I wish we could keep her going like this for as long as we can.

Is there a reason they decrease the Prednisone? Should I call the vet for advice?

Guest greytful4

I'm so sorry your girl has cancer, it's an emotional roller coaster. My girl was also on prednisone for a short space of time finally she just couldn't eat anymore. Before you decrease her dosage, I'd ask the vet first. Hugs to you and your girl as you travel down this road. :kiss2

Guest Energy11

I wouldn't decrease the Pred without contacting the vet. It is probably one of the reasons she's been so perky. Pred helps swelling and inflammation. I'd feed her what she wants, when she wants. ... why not :-) With Lymphoma of the GI tract, THIS could very well be the reason she isn't gaining weight.

I'd just keep her happy, and feed her what she wants. Hope it cools down ASAP out there. I feel for you. I used to live in Central Florida. I had AC, but always had to keep it high, due to the ridiculous electric bills.

Hugs from here!

Edited by Energy11

Guest greycrew

All steroids dosages start out high and gradually decrease. I had to take prednisone before and it made me full of energy, too! :)

Sending lots of love your way. Glad to see Timbers having so much fun.

Can she have beef? More calories than chicken.

A good spoonful of ice cream here and there wouldn't hurt, either.

Glad she is feeling well -- hope she continues to do so.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm just guessing (& your vet can fill you in of course) but I would think the tapering dose is because she'll feel better while she's on it, so the dosage can be decreased. If she starts not feeling well again, it can be upped. That way she'll be on the lowest dose needed. I think you will stop the pred altogether once she's no longer responding to it. :( (I had a cat with lymphoma & that's how it went for us.) Are you giving some tummy meds too - pepcid & carafate? Pred is hard on the stomach & the meds will help any troubles there.

I'm glad you're having fun with each other. I hope it continues for a long, long time. :) For Timber :kiss2 For you :grouphug

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Enjoy your good days!

The cancer patient in this house LOVES Cool Whip from the freezer or the fridge! (And so do I.)

Hoping the energy hangs around a while!

Guest lynne893
I'm just guessing (& your vet can fill you in of course) but I would think the tapering dose is because she'll feel better while she's on it, so the dosage can be decreased. If she starts not feeling well again, it can be upped. That way she'll be on the lowest dose needed. I think you will stop the pred altogether once she's no longer responding to it. :( (I had a cat with lymphoma & that's how it went for us.) Are you giving some tummy meds too - pepcid & carafate? Pred is hard on the stomach & the meds will help any troubles there.

I'm glad you're having fun with each other. I hope it continues for a long, long time. :) For Timber :kiss2 For you :grouphug

Hi everyone, Thank you for your responses and encouragement. It feels REALLY good to hear things like "have fun." It does!!

I called the vet and spoke w/ a tech or a really smart-sounding receptionist and they explained that the dosage should be tapered, but if she doesn't do well, just up it again.

They didn't suggest tummy meds with the Prednisone. We'd had Timber on every tummy med in the book prior to her diagnosis because they thought it was colitis or IBD etc., but all those meds didn't improve her condition.

We occasionally notice her gas, and her poops are still loose-ish, but no real diarrhea and no more blood or mucous in her stool.

Thank you for encouraging me to give her whatever she wants. I've been reluctant to give her anything too fatty, because I didn't want to give anything hard to digest, but I suppose a little whipped cream, etc., won't hurt her! She LOVES tuna, so she's been getting albacore canned tuna :)

I took the same route with Lewis when he was diagnosed with osteo. He had SOOO many good days and it was a joy to watch. Enjoy every day with that girl of yours and spoil her rotten!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest lynne893

thank you, guys! DH and i had a good conversation this evening about how we feel like we made the right decision for timber. it's great seeing her like this, at least the energy and appetite part.

for instance, we just returned from a walk (maybe a mile round trip-- probably less) to the Frozen Yogurt shop, where she had her own cup of "plain tart" flavor mixed with peanut butter flavor. happy hound. PLUS, it was the longest walk she's had in AGES!

:wub::lol::P

HUGS to all of you for your support and for being there, and because we're all here on Health and Medical because each of our hounds has or has had issues.

xoxo

Lynne

Your attitude is amazing. It is that type of thinking and enjoying your dog that helps you so much. Hugs to Timber and to you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest beejdas

Lynne & Timber,

Best wishes and our deepest prayers for Timber's comfort and happiness. May she be as comfortable and happy as possible for as long as she can be. Enjoy your time with her. We are all thinking of you!

Beej

(Samantha "Sammy Dog" Das, August 2000 - August 2009)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greycrew

I'm so glad you are having so much fun with Timber. I hope she is doing well. I also wanted to thank you for your reply to my losing Jimbo Juneau a couple of weeks ago. I can't pm or email anyone for some reason. I thought it wasn't enough - my little memorial to June. As you know we could write pages and pages about our wonderful greyhounds. There are no words to describe how wonderful he was and how badly I miss him. I'm just so grateful he was a part of my life. Hope you are all doing well. Sending lots of love. Sharon

Guest lynne893

Thank you, Sharon, and everyone.

Unfortunately, the past 24 hours have not been so great for Timber, but I'm hoping it's a one-off incident and that she has some good time left. I'll start a new post to update.