Flea Meds For Cats?

My neighbor's cats who live on my porch are infested with fleas and are obviously miserable. Getting them to take them to the vet's is not an option--they have ignored far worse.

Is there anything safe for them like frontline for dogs that I could apply? How long would it last? Would I need to get it from a vet? We're not really in a position right now to shell out $100 for vet visits plus the cost of meds.

Is it unethical to do that--DH says yes, I say no because I know they won't do anything, and if I ask they will lie and say they will take them to the vets and not do it. I know it's not a philosophical objection--they just won't spend the money.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I have outside cats that live on my property. Two of them are always rubbing against us and one even jumps into the

fenced yard to kiss Sherri. I put Frontline on both of them. Probably not as good as Frontline Plus, but a little cheaper.

It lasts a month. I get it from Drs. Foster and Smith.

Edited by maryz

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Energy11

Advantage, Frontline Or Revolution, FOR CATS. From my experience working at the vets in Florida, and listening to the reps' presentations, one must use the CAT version on cats, and the DOG version on dogs.

REVOUTION is expensive, but REALLY works well on cats! Poor kitties! I hate when people let their pets go like that. Good Luck helping them. There ARE cheaper things one can get at Walmart. How safe? Probably okay for kitties, as most, not all breeds, of cats, are not sensitive to a lot of "big killers," like sighthounds and exotic breeds of cats.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/FleaTic...9FCHFD3J1J615M7 (some good ideas here, from Petfood Direct)

Edited by Energy11

Thanks. Anyone know if one of these in particular is better for dealing with an active infestation?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11
Thanks. Anyone know if one of these in particular is better for dealing with an active infestation?

Really, Any are good. I KNOW for a fact, A LOT of the clients we had at the vets used either feline Advantage or Revolution. I think, at this point, ANYTHING would be better than what they are going through now. Good Luck!

Guest Beebee2002

Both my cats use advantage specifically for cats to prevent infestation. It should be reapplied monthly.

It kills the adult fleas on the cat as well as any new ones that may jump on from their environment (bedding, outdoors,...)

I don't think I would risk using any products made for dogs just to be on the safe side.

As others have said, not sure how well products from stores will work, especially if there is already a serious problem. Your neighbor's house is probably infested as well.

Poor kitties. It's awful to see someone else's pets suffer. It is very kind of you to be concerned.

Here is what the ingredients of FELINE advantage. Compare it to canine. Imidacloprid 9.1 per cent. I have used canine advantage on my 2 cats when I ran out of feline. Worked on the fleas and did not harm the cats,

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)

Guest budsmom

First, like others have said only use products marked specifically for cats. They are very sensitive to certain chemicals, much like greys are, and anything not marked specifically for cats could seriously harm or kill them. Next, it's probably a losing battle unless their living area is treated also. A kitten I got once had fleas when we brought her home, and we had to have the house treated, and both cats treated several times to make sure they were really gone. And let me just say, if I never have to bathe a cat again I will be totally ok with that :!!

Thanks, I promised DH I'd try to talk to the neighbors and then I'll get one of the recommended cat ones. I'm sure their dogs have fleas too, but it's the cats I have a relationship with since they live in my yard/porch. Thankfully they don't cause problems and Patrick's extremely cat safe, except he gives me the pathetic face when I hold the friendly one.

Guest koolaidnconner

Just make sure it is for FELINE. I know one of the products can seriously harm a cat and we don;t recommend the product for a canine if their are cats in the house. I can't remember which one that is at the moment.

Guest Energy11
Just make sure it is for FELINE. I know one of the products can seriously harm a cat and we don;t recommend the product for a canine if their are cats in the house. I can't remember which one that is at the moment.

Yes, that product is Canine Advantix. Cannot use in homes with cats, and I know a lot of people use it, but it is not recommended for greys, either. GPA Greater Orlando actually includes this in it's literature, I think.