Greetings From Canada!

Guest karma

Hi Everyone! I have been reading this forum for a while now, you guys are all great! I have gone through the training program for the local greyhound rescue and am expecting my new bundle of joy on September 5th. Its my first Greyhound, I am very excited. I am not 100% sure on the sex of yet, but the organizer is leaning more towards a male that would best suit me.

Any tips, suggestions and words of wisdom for a first timer? :)

Thanks!

Welcome from Maine!

I'm still new to the greyhound experience (only had Heidi for 8 months), so my only advice is to get some sleep before the new pup gets there. I was amazed at how much sleep I lost in the first week. It was well worth it though.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Welcome from Montréal,

Take it slow at the beginning, give your grey plenty of time to settle in (stairs, shinny floors, food), couples walks a day and everything will be "greyt".

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Welcome from Philly :wave

How exciting this is. Remember to relax, breathe in and breathe out. Your new pup will be there soon.

Do you have a dog bed, raised bowl, toys, collar, treats, food, id tag, leash, coat for the winter? I would find out what your pup was eating prior to arrival.

This is so very exciting. I remember the waiting... seemed like forever :lol

The greyhound group provided me with a list of all the items i would need, and i am now looking at the largest crate i have ever seen sitting in my livingroom :) (its the giant one, 34' high. ) We have been advised to give him ..or her.. ;) rice and chicken for the first week and then slowly introduce high quality kibble. and they gave me a list of types that are good.

I don't have a jacket yet, but will look at their inventory when I pick up the new family member. Winters are VERY COLD here. in fact, fall is already in the air and when i went out this morning to put the garbage out you could really feel it already :(

I have told all my excited friends and family members to keep their distance for a while.. i know they are excited and want to see the "new baby" (who may be a really BIG BABY :) ) they keep asking "how long is awhile?" :) this i am not sure of, i guess i will have to wait and see week to week how pupper is doing.

any TOy suggestions? I have a Kong, marrow bone, and a stuffie so far (which he may eat, i am aware ;) )

OH and any treat suggestions? some say bananas and apples.. others jerky .. others.. dog treats.. i am open to all suggestions.

thanks for the responses!! :colgate

Guest 3greysinPA

Welcome To GT!! :wubsite and Hello, here you will find answers to all your questions... so stick around... :)

And, dont forget to post some pics of your new bundle of joy once they arrive..... its so exciting... :welcome:balloonparty

Edited for spelling :)

Edited by 3greysinPA

Welcome to GT and to the wonderful world of having a greyhound! Congratulations on your new pupper, too. It sounds as if you are all ready.

In terms of treats--mine like dog biscuits (I get the ones for little dogs and dole them out 2-3 at a time rather than one bigger one), raw veggies (both the ones I give them and the ones they steal harvest from my garden), fruit (bananas, apple, melon, etc).

Beds, blankets, toys, food bowls, enzyme cleaner for those inevitable accidents in the house, a basket muzzle, old or cheap towels to dry off feet and dogs and clean up messes, collar and leash, tags with your contact info, grooming tools (brush, nail clippers or grinder), tooth brush and paste.

Best wishes and enjoy your new baby!

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

There's a great post someone on here about what your grey was used to on the track and it provides some greyt insight about greyhound behaviour. I'll try and hunt it up soon.

Welcome from southern Ontario! Waterloo

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest StormChaser

Welcome from Rochester NY. Best wishes on the "new arrival". What an exciting time for you and your friends and family.

One suggestion, you will need many, many more stuffies!!

Guest koolaidnconner

Hello from a fellow Canadian

:welcome

Patience is a virtue! Please Please remember that every greyhound goes at a differant pace. I was lucky to have 2 greys that came in like they had been with me all my life but I know of some where it took months for the greys to settle in. Let them go at thier pace. Don't get right up and personal with them till they come to you. Living in a home is a whole new atmosphere for them.

Good luck we will all be here with advice when you need it and of course remember the :rules pictures as soon as you can! :lol

There's a great post someone on here about what your grey was used to on the track and it provides some greyt insight about greyhound behaviour. I'll try and hunt it up soon.

Welcome from southern Ontario! Waterloo

if you could find this it would be greatly appreciated !!! :)

welcome from lovely kitchener

this might be the article that greytpups was referring to. it's really good and was recently posted by another GTer:)

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest monica

Congratulations on your new baby

I could not think of a better adoption than from the greyhound family. They are a heavenly breed

I myself have 2 galgos and I am thrilled