Molly Tore Her Dew Claw

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank tore his (for the second time, the first time it came all the way off) a few weeks ago. After cleaning it up, we slathered it with neosporin and bandaged it. It is pretty painful so if you have any rimadyl or metacam on hand, might not be a bad idea. I left the bandage for three days and when I removed it, the claw came off with it; after that we left it unbandaged and it was fine. I wondered the same thing you are, if it could heal; I don't think they usually do. Make sure you watch out for signs of infection; good luck and I hope she heals up quickly!

Guest KennelMom

If it didn't tear off completely on its own and is mostly torn off, ouch ouch ouch. I'd have the vet deal with it. If it's just slightly torn, it will probably heal on its own, I'd just wrap it and keep an eye on it.

Gracie tore hers last week too. I tried to wrap it myself but she screamed too much for me. I took her to the vet and they wrapped it up with only one yip! Anyway, I was told to keep it wrapped and dry for 3 weeks, bandage to be rewrapped in 5 days. The vet said the claw may fall off later. I got her a script for Metacam because it sure looks painful. Good luck.

Capri ripped one of hers completely off about a month ago. The toe part was still there, but the nail was gone and it bled profusely. DH and I cleaned and wrapped it and it healed pretty nicely. I thought oh well, she doesn't need them anyway. Funny thing is, the nail is now growing back! Go figure!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest Energy11

I have had that happen many times. They usually fell off and grew back. They sometimes a little crooked and funny looking, though.

I'd just keep the area clean, use antibacterial ointment of your choice, wrap the area, and keep en eye out for any infection, (swelling, redness, puss, etc.). Good Luck, and hug Molly for us!

Ekko did that a couple of weeks ago. Can you believe how much it bleeds?

I cleaned it, sprayed Wound Kote to help avoid infection and wrapped it for a day. On the second day I took the wrap off to check it, and it was fine

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I wish the nail had come all the way off, much easier to deal with! I have it covered it with a small sterile bandage and that human medical tape (whatever it's called). I had vet wrap on it, but she got that off in world record time :rolleyes: I will see how it looks tonight, and if the nail hasn't come off one its own, I'll take her to the vet tomorrow and have them remove it.

I am so glad Fletcher the Klutz had his removed as a puppy!

Molly thanks you for the sympathy, she is feeling VERY pathetic!

edited to add, I did clean it and put neosporin on it!

Edited by Remolacha

Guest BlackandBrindle

If she bothers it, I'd maybe put some hydrocortizone cream on it.

Spud messed his up and we had to soak in epsom salts, which then caused it to crack in two. I'd put the cream on and vet wrap it, but betadyne spray should work too.

I am sending lots of hugs to Molly. Dew claws are SUCH a PITA!