What Are These Symptoms Of?

These are symptoms a friend's grey is experiencing this week:

-can stand on front legs but not rear legs

-eyes are dilated and bloodshot

-gums are bright red

-she is breathing heavily

-she had been off her food but has started eating again

-xrays showed fluid in the lungs and enlarged heart (not known if that vet knew greys have larger hearts)

-ultrasound only done of the heart (I think)

-treated with Lasix (sp?), Deramaxx, Tramadol and an antibiotic

-lost several pounds in one week

editing to add: this has been going on for 2 weeks

has not been able to poop the small amount of food she's eaten, not peeing very much

is taking prednisone

the heavy breathing is with mouth closed

swiping at and rubbing face a lot

has bad teeth but vet wouldn't do dental

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
These are symptoms a friend's grey is experiencing this week:

-can stand on front legs but not rear legs

-eyes are dilated and bloodshot

-gums are bright red

-she is breathing heavily

-she had been off her food but has started eating again

-xrays showed fluid in the lungs and enlarged heart (not known if that vet knew greys have larger hearts)

-ultrasound only done of the heart (I think)

-treated with Lasix (sp?), Deramaxx, Tramadol and an antibiotic

-lost several pounds in one week

To me, it sounds like classic symptoms of HEART FAILURE. But, again, I am not a vet... Hope it isn't one of yours! Keep me posted! Love ya! DEE

No, not mine Dee. I think they know the end is very near.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
No, not mine Dee. I think they know the end is very near.

I AM VERY sorry for them, Ducky! Be sure to tell them! It almost sounds like the dog is "tripoding," which is like when humans cannot breath, and are propping themselves up on their elbows, etc., using accessory muscles to breath ... I have seen that scared "bug-eyed" look in many humans, who sit bold upright, and forward.

I would say, the dog is doing the same ... soooo sorry.

Dee, but what would make the eyes bloodshot and gums bright red?

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Draper

:hope:hope

I'd guess some type of splenic involvement - maybe a tumor of some type? The spleen can create some odd symptoms. Prayers for this houndie.

Guest 3greysinPA

:( very sad..

sounds like a Heart Failure case .... will eventually go into the lungs.. if its not already done so... the fluid that is...

It does not sound good for this hound. :(:hope:hope:candle:candle

Eyes bloodshot and tongue bright red: Can be due to high blood pressure.

Eyes dilated and brerathing heavily: It might be worth trying her off the Tramadol.

Is she still taking Deramaxx and pred both? That can cause stomach ulcers in a heartbeat.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

tramadol and prednisone and antibiotic only, off lasix now

skin on belly appears gray

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Eyes could be hypertension/high BP/gums:

Signs of shock include bright red gums initially, later they become pale white; rapid heartbeat; collapse; shivering; cold extremities: the feet, toes, and ears; and weak pulses. Severe shock will lead to irreversible damage and death unless treated promptly. Treatment consists of fluids to restore the blood volume, medications to counteract harmful inflammation, warming to raise the body temperature, and therapy for the underlying disease or condition

(bad storms here, sorry for the delay in posting)!

skin on belly appears gray

grayish/whitish pallor (color) is usually indicative of shock.

Thanks Dee and Claudia and everybody and thank you Jordan for the PM. I have been relaying the information to our group coordinator and she has been calling the owner.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
Thanks Dee and thank you Jordan for the PM. I have been relaying the information to our group coordinator and she has been calling the owner.

Please tell the owner she is in our prayers and thoughts!

Sounds like high blood pressure and/or chronic heart failure coupled with early renal failure. Treatable. Our 'Tzu has had this for over 2 year now. They need to be sure to have a blood pressure check done. Most Vet offices don't have the blood pressure checker thingie in their office. If their Vet does not, ask them if they work with another Vet's office that will do the BP checks for a flat fee. That is what my Vet does.

:grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest BatesieGreys

Okay, this is what I know in human terms (from personal experience). High BP can cause both heart and renal failure (including symptoms like excess fluid in the lungs, etc.) I would check the BP first and if it is high, do ANYTHING to lower it immediately. If it IS high BP and can be caught and lowered in time, the heart and kidneys can recover.

Good luck. Will send positive thoughts.

Guest LindsaySF
Okay, this is what I know in human terms (from personal experience). High BP can cause both heart and renal failure (including symptoms like excess fluid in the lungs, etc.) I would check the BP first and if it is high, do ANYTHING to lower it immediately. If it IS high BP and can be caught and lowered in time, the heart and kidneys can recover.

Good luck. Will send positive thoughts.

Hey Ducky!

How is this pup today?

I won't know until later today Dee, but I'll update when I hear something.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
Hey Ducky!

How is this pup today?

I won't know until later today Dee, but I'll update when I hear something.

Thanks, Ducky! I have been thinking of the poor baby all day! "((

The latest from our coordinator:

"They have done more blood work on Lena and she is a little bit better today. Could be the prednisone kicking in (false security), They gave her fluids as she was dehydrated. Did more blood work on her and the red cells were lower than normal for a greyhound and the white's were still low. They are sending her blood work out for more extensive testing."

This local vet is also conferring with our group's main vet at the adoption kennel. It's good that they are working together. I don't know all the details of the testing that has been done. They are giving it their best shot.

tiny hada siggy.png