Lame? Help!

Guest Blaze

Sweet Hannah has been favoring her right rear leg and today won't use it at all. It's been about a week on and off - now I'm starting to worry because she won't use it at all - could it be bone cancer? I'm so worried.

Hannah is 8 we just adopted her in April and we love her so much. What are the symptoms of bone cancer? She doesn't whine when I move her leg around or massage it - she just wont walk on it. We haven't had any unusual exercise and she still jumps into the van and on the bed.

I will love to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks in advance.

Guest BlackandBrindle

First, don't let her jump on anything.

It could be anything from a corn, to a muscle strain, to cancer.

Best bet is to take her into the vet to be evaluated. Hope it turns out to be nothing...

Guest Energy11

Limping IS a symptom of bone cancer, BUT, this could be anything. Best thing to do is get her x-rayed ASAP. Good luck, and hope it's nothing! D

Guest Flysmom

What BlackandBrindle said. Have you checked the paw? Could be a tick or a cut or a thorn. I would go to the vet and have him/her look at the leg and do radiographs to see what is going on.

Sending positive thoughts and hopes for a minor buubuu!!!!

Have you hecked her feet out, looked for corns or cuts of any kind. Manipulate her toes, rule out all those problem first before you panic. Once you've done that then call your vet and get an x-ray of the leg. At this point it could be anything.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Gosh there's nothing in the toes or feet that I can see. She lets me move her leg, foot toes and doesn't complain.

Thank you - We will get her in for x-rays

Guest Energy11
Gosh there's nothing in the toes or feet that I can see. She lets me move her leg, foot toes and doesn't complain.

Thank you - We will get her in for x-rays

Good idea!

We got for the 3 day rule. If after 3 days it's still there, we bring them in. Hoping it's nothing.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest KennelMom

I'd definitely have her in for a look-see by your vet. Depending on the age of the dog, 3 days is about our rule too if we can't find anything or assoaciate it with a possible cause (taking a spill in the back yard, unusually heavy activity, etc...)

If she's not using the leg at all or only very sparingly, she needs to see the vet and get some x-rays today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If she's not using the leg at all or only very sparingly, she needs to see the vet and get some x-rays today.

She is using it and looks better as the day goes on. A friend who used to be a vet tech, who works with my wife, looked at her today. She moved her knee around and found some pain there. We are thinking that she twisted her knee somehow. We will keep her rested and not walk her for a while and see how that goes.

She is walking around fine now.

How much does your vet charge for X rays by the way? Again it is the back leg. Ours quoted between $175 to $250 plus another $50 to be seen. Seems a bit high to me.

At this point it appears to be a twisted knee though.

Guest Energy11
How much does your vet charge for X rays by the way? Again it is the back leg. Ours quoted between $175 to $250 plus another $50 to be seen. Seems a bit high to me.

Depending on the TYPE of x rays and whether sedation is required, etc.... it can really VARY. $150 used to be the "normal" for two views at Dr. B's, but that was over a year ago. Those quotes are right in the ball park. Good Luck!

You know - I don't even mess around any more. If it goes on for more than a day or so (and I know you mentione a week, on and off) I'd get the vet to look and unless he/she found something very obvious, I'd ask for x rays straight away. I'd much much rather rule out a very important thing (which can be a ticking time bomb) and then work out what the actual problem is, rather than rule other stuff out and find that we've lost vital days or weeks. If that makes sense.

Hoping it's something very simple for Hannah :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

My then 4.5 yo came up lame on right rear soon after adoption. Scared the bejeepers out of me. It had gotten progressively worse for two days, went to vet on 3rd day, they worked some voodoo, on 4th day she was almost completely recovered. Diagnosis, old racing injury.

Soon to be adopted 10 yo came up lame on right rear while still in foster care, xrays & blood work done. Improved slowly. diagnosis, osteoarthritis & muscle stain.

Recently while at a day care/boarding facility during my vacation, my 1 yo came up lame on left rear. By the time I got home a few days later the leg was swollen & I immediately took her to vet. Diagnosis, puncture wound & resulting infection. (And they damn well should have called me or my emergency contacts but they delayed. Grrrrr!)

Strains, bumps, bruises all happen in play & usually do not require vet attention but if it isn't better in a couple days we are off to the vet. I hate to waste money but do not like to play around with lameness. It isn't likely to be cancer but if it is time is of the essence. Plus my baby's puncture wound & resulting infection would not have nearly cost her her life & limb if she had been treated even a day or two earlier.

Edited by kudzu

Where on earth do you live? Here an x-ray is $35 first view, I forget how much for additional views, plus office visit fee (usually $30?). Can't imagine paying that much for a simple x-ray altho some vets here do charge more than mine for an office visit. Perhaps your vet is assuming anaesthesia? We don't do that for x-rays ..........

Glad your pup seems to be feeling better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

3day wait is a good option. remember there are also a variety of tic borne diseases out there. my vet will manipulate the joints, check the vertebrae and i check for corns. he usually treats the symptom(lots of lyme in my neck of the woods) and we end up w/ a happier pup and no ex-rays so far. an experienced hand can tell a lot.

oh, does the limp go away when your dog is on soft grass or carpet? they don't feel their corns on soft surfaces.

Guest IrskasMom

Yes ,Morty had a swollen Toe on his front Paw . My Bill was for XRay and Visit $ 215 and that was with a Senior Citizen Discount .

I am keeping my Fingers crossed that it is something simple and easy to fix and some gentle Hugs for Hannah . :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Ohiogreymom

My 6 y.o. Reggie started limping, and the first time had slivers of glass in his paw. It was removed and he stopped limping for a bit, then a while later, intermittent limping, then total limping. I could manipulate his leg , knee, ankle, everything, with no signs of pain. When I took him to the vet, she felt around in an area just above his knee. He SCREAMED. :( The next day on my way to work, I dropped him off for xrays.

My boy was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma right above the knee. :weep I'm sending him to the bridge Sat. morning before his leg breaks. :weep:brokenheart If your Hannah continues to limp, please get an xray asap, as osteo is VERY painful! :( I'm NOT saying that's what it is, hopefully it's something fixable, but you need to know soon.

My vet doesn't sedate them for xrays, and there's no visit fee. It's 85 dollars for the first view, and 25 for each one after. Sadly, Reggie's was very obvious on the first view, even though they did more. I'll be praying for your Hannah, :hope maybe you can find a cheaper place to get the xrays done? :goodluck Good luck! Darlene

Guest Flysmom

We just paid $175 last week for 2 radiographs, sedation, exam and a small procedure. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the cost, however even though we are on a budget I would have gladly paid more to find out what is going on.

Guest RICHandJUDE

Where on earth do you live? Here an x-ray is $35 first view, I forget how much for additional views, plus office visit fee (usually $30?). Can't imagine paying that much for a simple x-ray altho some vets here do charge more than mine for an office visit. Perhaps your vet is assuming anaesthesia? We don't do that for x-rays ..........

Glad your pup seems to be feeling better.

$35 for the first x-ray. WOW. Ours is between about $100 for the 1st one and less as more are done. Over a thousand for an MRI.