Weird Rash...or Something

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

This afternoon I noticed that Angler has a nasty red rashy thing on his tummy. We said, OK, let's see what it looks like tomorrow, and if it's worse it will be vet time. Then this evening I noticed another rashy thing on the other side. It's not raised, doesn't appear to be itchy or sore, and he seems normal (i.e., sleeping all the time). Here are some pics. What could this be?

Oh, and he does have allergies, but I doubt this is related - we feed him a mix of raw and homemade so he doesn't ingest poultry.

3793220843_dddef28933.jpg

3794038178_6cfa1c2f0d.jpg

3794037568_9f377745a5.jpg

Guest boondog

Poor guy. It looks like bruising to me. Any idea how it might have happened? If it is bruising, I've had good luck using traumeel gel.

Guest Cris_M

They look like bruises to me. The bottom photo looks like Angler scraped/bumped something and then moved so that the trauma followed the two lines.

If the bruises get bigger, it might be a concern.

Duncan did get very bruised soon after we first got him. Way more bruised than Angler is in the photos. Turned out he was stung by a yellow jacket.

Guest jupiterooos

I can't imagine what he could have bruised himself on - but his skin seems delicate even by grey standards...so it's certainly possible. So best to watch it and see what it looks like mañana?

Traumeel or arnica gel will help with the bruising. If it's bigger I would get it looked at.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest RocketDog

Looks like bruising to me - Rocket comes in every few days after tearing around the yard with bruises like that somewhere. The worst was when he cartwheeled during a sprint, he was bruised all over!

It also looks like bruising to me. Could he have gotten a bit tangled in his leash and pulled? Bu sometimes freaks out if the leash even touches his armpit, then he bucks and makes it tight and bruises himself.

Where do you get traumeel gel? How do you use it?

Poor guy. I hope it gets better soon.

A thought - has he been laying in the grass. There are some tiny bugs that bite our guys at play group. They get unraised red marks that are similar to some of the marks. He could have been bitten.

Hope it is improved by tomorrow. Again, arnica or traumeel, it reallly helps.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest lynne893

definitely bruising. did someone try to lift him up along his torso? those look like finger marks to me! our grey bruises super-easily too.

Guest boondog
It also looks like bruising to me. Could he have gotten a bit tangled in his leash and pulled? Bu sometimes freaks out if the leash even touches his armpit, then he bucks and makes it tight and bruises himself.

Where do you get traumeel gel? How do you use it?

Poor guy. I hope it gets better soon.

I got it at Whole Foods. Just rub it on. I was amazed at how quickly the bruises disappeared.

How's he looking today?

Edited by boondog

Guest Energy11

I vote for bruising here, too.

Goldie gets that, as she bruises easily. I don't put anything on it, as it clears up easily. Might have rolled/laid on some rocks/hard surfaces, etc., outside. Good Luck with it!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I don't think that's a rash - looks like a scrape that bruised. Unfortunately Spencer gets those all the time because he's so wobbly.

Bould Jupiter have scratched him? Do they lay down close enough for that to happen?

this is what I was thinking, too...the lines look like they could be nail marks...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest mandm
Then this evening I noticed another rashy thing on the other side. It's not raised, doesn't appear to be itchy or sore,

The third picture does look like bruised scratch marks, but if this is the beginning of recurrent, unexplained bruising, then I would get his platelets checked.

Edited by mandm

Guest Energy11
Then this evening I noticed another rashy thing on the other side. It's not raised, doesn't appear to be itchy or sore,

The third picture does look like bruised scratch marks, but if this is the beginning of recurrent, unexplained bruising, then I would get his platelets checked.

Ditto on having the platlets checked, if this "brusing," continues. Good Luck!

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie is a only-dog and sleeps about 23.5 hours a day. She was asking for some belly rubs the other day and I noticed a huge bruise on her belly. I have NO idea how she could have gotten it, but it went away in a few days. I kept an eye on it and it never seemed worse.

No real help there, but just my experience :) I hope the same is true for your guy!

Guest jupiterooos

It looks a little better today. Anyway, it doesn't look worse! NO idea what might have happened (doubt Jupiter scratched him, since Angler is a dog who likes his space, and does not stand for Jupiter impinging on him) but I'll wait and see....