Peace/surgery/recovery

Guest wjamg

Guest wjamg

Peace is still having a rough time, she is on stool softeners, imagine having to put a greyhound on stool softners!! she still has not gone to the bathroom, she is still leaking fecal matter and her incision is red, puffy and bleeds a bit...the vet says the incision is fine and the healing process takes time but this is so painful for her.

Today I noticed something else strange..she seems to have air under her fur on her lower back and upper thighs..anyone ever hear of this? its sounds very weird, kind of like rice krispies in milk when you rub her..she doesn't seem to be in pain from that

I just wish I could see her roaching on the couch instead of looking so depressed

Greybookends had this happen with one of her dogs. It is air under the skin that eventually gets reabsorbed.

You might ask your vet if water therapy would help the wound heal. Just running a shower hose (or even a garden hose) gently over the wound for a few minutes several times a day.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Peace is having the same problems at "Greytluck's Dog, Hobbes ... Sub Q air/Crepitus! Crepitus is a symptom characterized by a crackling or grating feeling or sound under the skin, around the lungs or in the joints. In soft tissues, crepitus is often due to gas, most often air, that has abnormally penetrated and infiltrated an area (for example, in the soft tissues beneath the skin).

In a joint, crepitus can indicate cartilage wear in the joint space. The term "crepitus" is derived from the Latin, meaning "a crackling sound or rattle." Typically, crepitus is a grinding noise coupled with a sensation in the affected joint. Crepitus can occur with or without pain.

Subcutaneous emphysema, sometimes abbreviated SCE or SE and also called tissue emphysema, or Sub Q air occurs when gas or air is present in the subcutaneous layer of the skin. Subcutaneous refers to the tissue beneath the cutis of the skin, and emphysema refers to trapped air. Since the air generally comes from the chest cavity, subcutaneous emphysema usually occurs on the chest, neck and face, where it is able to travel from the chest cavity along the fascia.[1] Subcutaneous emphysema has a characteristic crackling feel to the touch, a sensation that has been described as similar to touching Rice Krispies;[2] this sensation of air under the skin is known as subcutaneous crepitation.

Subcutaneous emphysema can result from puncture of parts of the respiratory or gastrointestinal systems. Particularly in the chest and neck, air may become trapped as a result of penetrating trauma (e.g., gunshot wounds or stab wounds) or blunt trauma. Infection (e.g., gas gangrene) can cause gas to be trapped in the subcutaneous tissues. Subcutaneous emphysema can be caused by medical procedures and medical conditions that cause the pressure in the alveoli of the lung to be higher than that in the tissues outside of them.[3] Its most common causes are pneumothorax and an improperly functioning chest tube. Chest tubes have a tendency to form clot in them or become occluded with fibrinous material. In the setting of an air leak, when chest tube occlusion or clogging, occurs, sub cutaneous emphysema will occur. It can also occur spontaneously due to rupture of the alveoli, with dramatic signs.[4] When the condition is caused by surgery it is called surgical emphysema.[5] The term spontaneous subcutaneous emphysema is used when the cause is not clear.[4] Subcutaneous emphysema is not usually serious in and of itself, but the underlying causes, such as pneumothorax, can be.[6] Although the underlying conditions require treatment, subcutaneous emphysema usually does not; small amounts of air are reabsorbed by the body. However, subcutaneous emphysema can be uncomfortable and may interfere with breathing, and is often treated by removing air from the tissues, for example by using a chest tube.

**I would let your vet know about this ASAP, as well as Peace's inability to "poop." That sound come with the stool softners, though. Poor baby ... KNOWS it will hurt to poop! Good Luck and lots of love!

Guest greybookends

The air under the skin is nothing to be concerned with it will absorb. Sheana had this when she received a puncture from a thorn and it covered most of the lower half of her body it sounded like rice crispies and was much like bubble wrap. The inability to poop would be a concern.

Guest wjamg

thanks for the info. I plan to call the vet again tomorrow if my girl doesn't go to the bathroom tonight or in the morning

she is sound asleep right now, wish she could just sleep the next two weeks away

Guest suzye

Jazz had the same thing after she was torn open by a St. Bernard. I was really freaked out because someone on the internet said the same thing happened to her dog and she almost died from an infection. My vet reassured me that even though he'd never seen it before, only read about it (not really what you want to hear!), the air would be reabsorbed and she would be fine. He was right. It could take a few weeks for the air to go away.

Edited by suzye

Guest wjamg

This afternoon, Peace finally went to the bathroom~~ seemed very painful for her, I hope she'll go again soon.

Another issue though, she has an ulcer type opening now on the opposite side of the incision...its draining blood and some brown discharge..I called the vet and she said it will probably get a bit worse before it gets better. I clean it often, she has to wear boxers so she doesn't lick at it but it looks like it would do better with the air drying it out

She also had a serum? pouch the vet called it..it was a big bump that felt like water squishing under her skin but now it is draining from the ulcer. I guess this is a very difficult wound area with all the bacteria around her bottom.

I hate seeing her depressed and miserable, and she is freezing a lot and just staring, the vet said thats from the pain meds and we have now reduced the amount of tramadol she takes

Thanks for keeping my girl in your thoughts

my vet did also confirm that the air pockets will be reabsorbed, it may take several weeks

"Seroma" is what I think your vet meant. Gracie had one on her belly - don't know how she got it but it did re-absorb.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The air pocket thing actually happened to me when I was in college. I was on a beach without my inhaler and I almost died on the way to the hospital. They gave me a couple of rounds of epinephrine and then treated me. I started coughing...and coughing...and coughing. It went on the whole night and the next day the middle of my chest sounded just like rice crispies when you pressed it. The doctor said I had literally coughed air out of my lungs (tho I think something ruptured). Anyway, I was quite the novelty for about 10 days as everyone wanted to hear the crackle but it just went away of its own accord.

Hope she feels better soon :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Energy11
The air pocket thing actually happened to me when I was in college. I was on a beach without my inhaler and I almost died on the way to the hospital. They gave me a couple of rounds of epinephrine and then treated me. I started coughing...and coughing...and coughing. It went on the whole night and the next day the middle of my chest sounded just like rice crispies when you pressed it. The doctor said I had literally coughed air out of my lungs (tho I think something ruptured). Anyway, I was quite the novelty for about 10 days as everyone wanted to hear the crackle but it just went away of its own accord.

Hope she feels better soon :grouphug

You poor thing! I have seen that in the ER! Glad you got through it okay!