Neck Surgery Questions

How's your sweetie doing today? She certainly has been a real trooper and we wish her continued good health.

She's good; the vet's office called while we were out, so I called them back. She's doing fine except she yiped once when laying on the carpet, the same way she did when her neck was hurting her.

The Valium keeps her down and not quite so active like she can be; we went on a very short walk last night, around a small block of homes in front of our own house, which has proven to be cat-free in the past. The heat is oppressive here, and we try not to get her exhausted. We'll probably double that tomorrow night, and add a bit more until she's no longer under restrictions in another week and a half.

Today is her first day of only ONE prednisone tablet (used to manage post-op swelling), given this morning, which means maybe we can sleep through the night without an urgent potty break!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear the good report. Fingers crossed for continued easy healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wow, just catching up with this now. The incision looks fantastic! Glad to hear your girlie is on the mend. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest vahoundlover

Glad to hear she's doing so well.

Obviously the $0.33 was for the vial of smelling salts the gal at the counter used on you after you fainted while reading the bill.

:lol

Where the heck was I during all this?! Y'all seem to have managed quite well without me, though. :lol Glad Minerva has come through it so very well!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

• 2 weeks later...

How is Minerva doing?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

She's good; she had her stitches removed yesterday. She walked into the vet clinic, put both paws on the counter and looked everyone in the face. I'll post a picture of her when I get a moment.

She's lost a lot of weight, and it doesn't show; she's normally 69-70 pounds, and she weighed in at 60. I figured their scale was off, so I weighed her when she got home. Dangit, 60 pounds. And I have no idea where those ten pounds went to. She looks just the same. We even fed her extra to keep up with the added appetite she had from her pred; she's always been a voracious eater, and it got worse with the meds. Why she's down 10 pounds is beyond me.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Prednisone wastes muscle mass. So she may not look too much thinner due to your diligent feeding, but has lost muscle weight due to the Pred, no doubt. Light exercise as she can tolerate it will hep. :)

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Here's Her Royal Majesty's zipperneck, now post-op 17 days or so.

P1010021.jpg

P1010022-2.jpg

P1010023-2.jpg

The minute we got her stitches out, we got her collar back on her for the first time since the operation. We also gave explicit instructions at the neuro center to be extra careful with her and other dogs, and if she was ever let out of her pen for any reason. They don't have a fenced-in run for potty breaks, so they walked her on two leashes with a harness on while she was admitted.

She's a gorgeous, wonderful, loving dog, but one stray cat or a stuffie-sized dog, and WHAMMO! She'd be off and running- inside the clinic or out. They did an excellent job at keeping her isolated and under control. :)

There have been a couple of peeps out of her since the surgery, but the frequency and intensity have diminished. Probably the worst part was the constipation from the tramadol; we started giving her a couple of dried prunes with every meal. It seemed to help.

Thanks for the info on muscle wasting; I had no idea. We've held off on walking her quite so much, in that part of our usual walk is frequented by stray cats. So, we've been walking her around a smaller block of homes, but we took the "rest and relaxation" advice from the vet's office very seriously. We had diazepam (Valium) available for the first couple of weeks or so, and that seemed to help.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Yeah, vets often don't bother to fill clients in on drug side effects. <_< She's looking fabulous! Gentle smooches for her. :kiss2

Of course follow the vet's instructions re: exercise, but if you and she are able to slowly increase duration and frequency of walks, it should help build her back up a bit. A harness is a good idea. :)

She looks fabulous (& very cute)! :wub: Glad she's done so well. Paws on the counter - what a pip! :P

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

She looks fabulous (& very cute)! :wub: Glad she's done so well. Paws on the counter - what a pip! :P

Yes, when she walks in, it's right up to the counter, paws up, greeting everyone and looking for any wiener dogs that might be hiding back there. When we first met her, she walked into the adoption room and put her paws up on the counter and looked a lifelike greyhound statue in the face. When she first came home, it was paws up on the sink and sniffed the ceiling. She's a big, leggy, tall girl. Interestingly, she only counter-surfs when we're not home- which is why we muzzle.

I was all worried about getting her into my friend's SUV for the trip home, but she just walked right into it. If we hadn't hurried up, I'm pretty sure she would have stolen the thing and driven off which would have been a problem because she doesn't use turn signals.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

She looks fabulous. Good to hear she is feeling well, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I can't believe I've missed all of this!!!!

Aaron, Minerva looks wonderful and I'm glad that thus far the surgery seems to be helping with the pain/pressure.

She's lookin' just a a princess should............... wish I could loose 10lbs - but I'm not to fond of her diet!

Cofax and her humans send their best wishes and hugs.

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

This is turning out great, AJ! Congratulations!

(You may recall that Spencer dropped a bunch of weight fast when he was on pred; the internist took him off it for that reason.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

She looks wonderful. :yay

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)