Swollen, Bleeding Blisters On Foot

Guest Maddyr24

Guest Maddyr24

Well, our trip to grapehounds didn't quite turn out as planned. After we arrived at our lodge Friday night, Sagan started limping. I waited it out the night to see if cleared up, but by Saturday his poor back, right paw was totally inflamed and he refused to put any weight on it at all. Off to the e-vet we went - in Ithaca *sigh*. The vet checked him out, took some x-rays, gave us some Tramadol and Demeraxx, told us there were no fractures visible and that he could have been stung by a bee or sprained his tootsie. She sent us on our way - me feeling much relieved. Once we returned back to NY, Sagan was hating the rest (very short walks and lots of relaxing) and decided to sprint down our long Manhattan hallway. We stopped as soon as we could but the next day, he foot had swollen again and he showed a large, gross blisters between his two swollen fingers. The blister broke and back he went to the e-vet.

The vet, who is not our regular vet, told us that he is restricted to strict rest, Clavamox, Novalsan solution, and demeraxx (we pulled him off the tramadol because it didn't settle with his system - as per vet's orders). He is now in a cone of shame and completely miserable. We are keeping his paw clean and rested and today the inflammation has reduced. One "finger" is still totally blown up though :(

He does seem to be constipated and does not want to go out.

Luckily, his appetite is great (totally interested in his food, PB, and treats) and he is getting plenty of ice and water. I have, however, reduced his food by 1/4 -1/2 cup because he is not going and not exercising.

Does any one have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks everyone and lets cross our paws that Sagan recovers soon!

Edited by Maddyr24

Guest Maddyr24
Well pumpkin may help in the digestive dept.

What about wrapping the foot?

I have tried pumpkin on Sagan before - which didn't work - but he does like sweet potato (i'll try that tonight). The vet did not want us to wrap the foot - instead we have been using a very loose fitting sock. *sigh* poor baby.

Your experience is not unlike one we have just been through with my Rickie:

Rickie's foot saga

Our vet recommended keeping the foot exposed to air for healing. In order to achieve this I bitter-apple the heck out of the foot on both sides several times per day. You could, as we did with Rickie, vetwrap a sock over it at night to stop licking (assuming your boy won't take the sock off - Rickie is pretty docile that way).

One thing that we have been doing for him that seems to help is we give the foot twice-daily soaks in epsom salts for 20 minutes or so. To keep it simple I soak a cloth in the epsom salt solution, wrap the foot in that, and then cover with press-n-seal and a towel. No muss no fuss.

Hope Sagan heals quickly and without further incident!

Guest paulamariez

Sending healing prayers, love and light for your precious Sagan. Hopefully his tender paw will heal up quickly for him. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Sagan some healing doggie kisses as well. Poor guy.

sounds like epsom's salts and then keeping it dry.try to make a no-bite collar so he doesn't chew his paw. it does seem that these poor guys do not have enough feathering inbetween their toes for protection. i am always using desitin when my boy's toosties are sore or soaking them in e.s.

could the consitpation be from the meds? also when they are upset, they really sometimes cut back on their food.

Guest Maddyr24

Just a morning update- Sagan's foot is ALMOST back to normal. Only 1 finger is still swollen but the rest are relatively normal! yay! few more days of rest and healing and we should be back on track! Thanks everyone.

Thank goodness! Sending some scritchies to help the rest of the healing process along for your handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.