Greyhound In Very Hot Apartment...

Guest rsb1

I live in an old apartment building on the very top floor. The kitchen and living room have no A/C but plenty of fans. The apartment gets to about 93 degrees. Fig seems like he doesn't mind it but I really don't know. We have had some very warm weather here in Boston and the apartment is especially hot. I really don't have any alternatives here so it's either keeping Fig in the apartment or calling it inhumane and going from there. What do others think on this topic? Is it inhumane to keep a Grey in such a warm apartment? Anyone deal with something like this before?

Advice and thoughts are appreciated....

Thanks,

Roman

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

That is wayyy too hott, in my opinion. Animals don't cool like we do, and they feel the ambient temperature. Fans really don't help them, like they do us, because we sweat. I would at least get a room AC. You can get them for about $100 in Wal-mart, for a 5200 BTU, and just keep maybe baby gate him in the room with the AC. It is pretty cheap to run, if you get one with good energy efficiency, too.

Good Luck. I keep my house at 70, because I DESPISE heat, especially after years of it in Florida. There, my house was kept at 80, with lots of fans.

Hope this all works out for you!

Guest Audeamus

This might sound kind of weird but when I lived with my lurcher in my incredibly hot apartment, I'd fill part of the bathtub ( maybe 2 or 3 inches) with cold water and little bit of ice. He'd chill there when I was out during the day because the lino was cooler than the wood floors and the cold water in the bathtub made it a little cooler.

Good luck trying to figure out how to keep your hound cool.

If he's not doing much of anything (not stressed due to being alone), has nice spots to lie out of the direct sun, good air movement, and plenty of water (might want to leave an extra bowlful, with some ice in it for good measure), he's likely fine. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The problem is that the way my apartment is setup, there is nothing I can do about the living room and kitchen being hot. I do have A/C in my bedroom and it is very cool but I don't think it's right to just lock him up in there for the day. I really think the heat is starting to affect him as he is eating less, doesn't want to go for walks. So the only real alternative I have is to lock him up in my room. Is this a viable option?

I would die in an apartment that hot, but we're not talking about me. :lol

I assume that you, for whatever reason, are unable to use a window unit? If that is the case, then I guess use lots of fans and leave plenty of water, with some ice also. If you ARE able to use a window unit, I would recommend that you do - and if the expense of running it is a concern, set it on 80. That is still quite warm, but not too warm for dogs or people.

Then sit back and think cool thoughts!!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

If he's not doing much of anything (not stressed due to being alone), has nice spots to lie out of the direct sun, good air movement, and plenty of water (might want to leave an extra bowlful, with some ice in it for good measure), he's likely fine. :)

Yeah...there is no direct sunlight in the living room..no windows. He just lies there all day either on the couch or on the floor. He does eat and drink but I did notice he eats less...

Guest Energy11

If you are unable to use a window unit, you CAN get portable ACs on wheels, and you need only vent out a small window, ... even weird type windows would work with this. They are on wheels, and you can use them in ANY room with a window! I got mine on Ebay to use with my generator in Florida, in case of hurricanes. It was wonderful. So, there is an alternative, as well, if a traditional window unit won't work.

Guest PhillyPups

What about one of the portable A/C units? Either that or the bedroom would be my thoughts. I keep my A/C on all day for the hounds. I even have it on during the cooler evenings cause of the number I have.

Guest Energy11
The problem is that the way my apartment is setup, there is nothing I can do about the living room and kitchen being hot. I do have A/C in my bedroom and it is very cool but I don't think it's right to just lock him up in there for the day. I really think the heat is starting to affect him as he is eating less, doesn't want to go for walks. So the only real alternative I have is to lock him up in my room. Is this a viable option?

Many people baby gate their greys in a room when they go to work. Greys cannot be left behind closed doors, but, I would think baby gating him in your bedroom would be fine. My friend in Chicago does this, as one of hers destroys the house, muzzled or not. And, yes, it does sound like the heat is effecting him. Sure would be me :-( Summer Stinks!

Since he's gotten used to it gradually, I'm inclined to think he's ok as long as he has lots of water available and the air is moving.

I live in the middle of the desert and when my air conditioner died a couple of years ago, I had several fans going and it quickly got up into the low 90's here and we were all fine, the dogs seemed a lot less bothered by it than I was. :)

If you are unable to use a window unit, you CAN get portable ACs on wheels, and you need only vent out a small window, ... even weird type windows would work with this. They are on wheels, and you can use them in ANY room with a window! I got mine on Ebay to use with my generator in Florida, in case of hurricanes. It was wonderful. So, there is an alternative, as well, if a traditional window unit won't work.

yes...the apartment has a very strange layout but there are no windows in the living room and two huge ones in the kitchen. The apartment is very big so keeping the a/c on in the kitchen is a) not going to help B) costs would be prohibitive. So the only true alternative here is to keep him locked in my room the whole day....that doesn't sound appealing either but between that and frying him..haha...may make more sense.

I am hearing a few different opinions here so I may just call the vet tomorrow and find out what they think.

We lost our air this summer for about 3 days in 90+ heat and my dogs were suffering. If you can get a baby gate and put your pup in the bedroom with food and water, that would be a good solution. At least there would be cool air in there. Being too warm can affect their appetite and energy levels.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We used to have one "cool room" that had an A/C unit and instead of shutting the door, we would hang a sheet or blanket on the door so we could come and go. It held in the cool air fine. This might be a good compromise to having the door totally shut - a babygate with a hanging sheet - so he could poke his head out if he wanted to take a peek.

Or you may be surprised and he may like hanging out in the room with the door shut - doesn't happen often, but some are ok that way.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We live in a very old house, no central air. During the days we keep all of the curtains closed to block out the sun. Ceiling fans on low speed just to maintain air movement. At night open all windows to "catch" a breeze coming in.

We keep a "box style" portable fan (low speed) sitting on the floor aimed at the greyhound beds. When temps get up into the 90's we also will keep the greys chest and bellies wet. Usually will spray them with a hose and they love it when the "fan air" hits the wet fur! :lol

Suppose you could use a shower sprayer too. I had a kennel owner tell me that all you need to "get wet" is the chest and underbelly areas.

We also will fill the water bowl half full of ice cubes too.

If you put your bedroom A/C on a high temp, like 76-78, and crack the door, he can go in there if he wants to, and it won't run constantly. We do that. It runs more than it would if the door was shut tight, but it's not horrible, especially if the windows are covered.

I like BauersMom's idea of a sheet.

We used to have one "cool room" that had an A/C unit and instead of shutting the door, we would hang a sheet or blanket on the door so we could come and go. It held in the cool air fine. This might be a good compromise to having the door totally shut - a babygate with a hanging sheet - so he could poke his head out if he wanted to take a peek.

Or you may be surprised and he may like hanging out in the room with the door shut - doesn't happen often, but some are ok that way.

That may be a good idea...I'll have to give that a try. The reason I keep the bedroom closed is so that the cool air doesn't go outside into the apartment, then it's just a waste.

I am hearing a few different opinions here so I may just call the vet tomorrow and find out what they think.

Different opinions are what we specialize in here at GT :lol

Edited by CMoon75

Guest Energy11

Different opinions are what we specialize in here at GT :lol

Yeah, how true, but that is how we learn :-)) I think we ALL have MANY good ideas here. The OP just has to decide what is right for him and his houndie.

Guest SusanP

If the apartment isn't gigantic, a window air conditioner in the bedroom could keep the whole place tolerable, and your pup could choose which room to hang out in. I would also draw the blinds, etc to keep it cooler, and keep those fans going.

Guest Tuxsmom

I think the sheet idea sounds like a marvelous idea... maybe even one of those insulated curtains hung permenantly in the doorway...would help hold cold air in more than a sheet?

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I can't believe that you are comfortable in place that is 93 degrees??

My dog is panting hot when room temp is above 78-80 degrees. Sure if they have water they can survive. I like the idea of a curtain over the BR door so he can come and go if the temp is too hot/

My house is hot as well. I have a ac unit in my bedroom as well. I keep it on during the day for my 3. I have a sheer curtian (cant spell that :blink: ) that hangs there all the time. That way my pups can go in and out but get to hang out in the cool but Im not cooling the whole house.

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08