Fever, Lethargy, Lump On Throat

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

My friend has 2 Chesepeake Bay Retrievers. One of them, Skippy, ate a pair of underwear on Friday July 17th. Skippy was given approx. 1/2 gallon of milk daily for 6 days to help pass the underwear. (a way to get him to consume more fluids basically) Skippy was also given laxatives on those days.

Thursday morning, July 23rd, he finally threw up the underwear. Phew! But, then he started to become lethargic, particularly noticable on Friday. Peeing fine. Stool I am not sure if it has firmed back up yet. He has had a steady fever since Friday morning-104 to 104.2.

I should add, in addition to the whole underwear fiasco, Skippy got into a fight with the other Chessie he lives with. Skippy recieved a small laceration on his lower gumline during the fight, which became slightly pussy, and he was given Cephalexin for that. Cephalexin was finished last Thursday. Anyways, Skippy was taken to the vet this morning. The vet felt for stones, said no stones. Vet took his temp., Skippy still had his fever. Vet gave a shot of Peniccilin as a precaution, and sent Skippy's owner home with a round of antibiotics. The kind of antibiotic is SMZ TMP (???) which does not get started till tomorrow cause he received shot of penicilin today.

Early this afternoon, it was noticed that Skippy developed a "turkey waddle" basically a lump on the underside of his neck.

Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on with Skippy?????

To recap, symptoms are:

-lethargy (mild to moderate)

-fever

-'turkey waddle'

It really sucks to have no idea what the heck is wrong with your dog, and I'm hoping we can help shed a little light on this medical mystery. Skippy is a 7 year old non altered male.

Turkey waddle could possibly be a puddling of blood from the mouth injury. :dunno Or swollen glands from an infection (since he has a fever).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest EmilyAnne
Turkey waddle could possibly be a puddling of blood from the mouth injury. :dunno Or swollen glands from an infection (since he has a fever).

The mouth injury occured two weeks ago exzactly, on Saturday July 11th.

First guess is puncture wound has abscessed. That comes to mind because we just went through that with one of my dogs. Got a wound while we were out of town. It was not treated properly. By the time we got home it was infected. Took her immediately to vet where we were prescribed cephalexin & metacam. She improved but then quit eating. I skipped the one dose of metacam & anti-b fearing tummy trouble. Came home to a VERY sick dog who was then limping profoundly on a different foot. The infection had gone to through her system & set up shop in a different foot. Best guess is the cephalexin had not been strong enough & the metacam was masking symptoms. She ended up getting a day of IV meds followed up by two weeks of Clavamox. We're 10 days out from the end of antibiotics & all is well, not even limping.

BTW, her presentation that night was very reminiscent of a TBD & she was tested for that but was negative. Given the history the vet chose not to treat with doxy as it does not work well when combined with anti-b's & he felt Luna was more likely in need of antibiotics.

Wishing your friend's dog all the best.

Guest EmilyAnne
First guess is puncture wound has abscessed. That comes to mind because we just went through that with one of my dogs. Got a wound while we were out of town. It was not treated properly. By the time we got home it was infected. Took her immediately to vet where we were prescribed cephalexin & metacam. She improved but then quit eating. I skipped the one dose of metacam & anti-b fearing tummy trouble. Came home to a VERY sick dog who was then limping profoundly on a different foot. The infection had gone to through her system & set up shop in a different foot. Best guess is the cephalexin had not been strong enough & the metacam was masking symptoms. She ended up getting a day of IV meds followed up by two weeks of Clavamox. We're 10 days out from the end of antibiotics & all is well, not even limping.

BTW, her presentation that night was very reminiscent of a TBD & she was tested for that but was negative. Given the history the vet chose not to treat with doxy as it does not work well when combined with anti-b's & he felt Luna was more likely in need of antibiotics.

Wishing your friend's dog all the best.

More details: The injury is not near where the throat lump is. The mouth injury occured way up to the very most front part of the mouth, just on the inside of the lower lip. The throat lump, is soft, my friend describes as being more like a fluid build up as opposed to a lump, is located where a man's adam's apple would be.

Mods, could you edit the title to say 'sudden fluid build up' where it says 'lump'?

Edited by EmilyAnne

The kind of antibiotic is SMZ TMP (???) which does not get started till tomorrow cause he received shot of penicilin today.

Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim, for what it's worth. Also known as Bactrim. Low on the side-effects, but very easy for bacteria to form resistance to (like all sulfa drugs).

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest EmilyAnne

I am thinking considering that Skippy became lethargic and developed fever approx. 24 hours after last dose of antibiotic (Cephalexin) is a big hint indicating towards infection... but what type of infection, and how does that connect to the fluid build up on the throat?

Friend ( I am chatting with him on facebook) is wondering if it is possible that Skippy has something stuck in throat. Skippy likes to eat sticks and such in the yard.

Guest kydie

Yep infection. the area on the throat area, could be a sac of infection, suggestion, to the vet for IV antibiotics, and a draining of the of lump, this also occures in flap ear dogs,(of the ear) like a hemotoma, (fluid build up along with blood) cure: drain it Good Luck Poor Pup

Sounds like it's time for a new vet, an x-ray, and perhaps an aspirate.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

More details: The injury is not near where the throat lump is. The mouth injury occured way up to the very most front part of the mouth, just on the inside of the lower lip. The throat lump, is soft, my friend describes as being more like a fluid build up as opposed to a lump, is located where a man's adam's apple would be.

Mods, could you edit the title to say 'sudden fluid build up' where it says 'lump'?

No, I wasn't trying to imply the throat lump was the site of the wound. Sorry if that was confusing. I probably did not word my response correctly. From the description I would think the lump was drainage.

Guest EmilyAnne

Skippy was taken back to the vet. The vet feels the theory (thank you kudzu) of the 'turkey waddle' most likely being caused by drainage from the mouth wound was most likely what was going on. Apparently Skippy just needed a longer round of antibiotics, and has shown improvement since being back on antibiotics. Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Skippy's owner just emailed me through his cell phone from the emergency vet. Skippy collapsed in the waiting room at the emergency vet, blood pressure bottomed out. It doesn't look good at all :cry1 and still a mystery. Good thoughts and prayers are much needed right now.

Guest EmilyAnne

Skippy died this morning at 2 am with Mike by his side. :brokenheart It is suspected he either had Encephalitis or Meningitis. Mike is very devastated right now and my heart just breaks for him.

Guest paulamariez

OMG, I am so sorry! Poor Skippy and his family. Sending my condolences to Skippy's family. My grandparents had a chessie that looked so much like Skippy too!