Need Info To Help Kill Bacteria In My Yard

Guest SueG201

Guest SueG201

Both my greyhound and whippet have had bouts of bad diarrhea the past week, they are both on

antiobiotics and flagyl as of the vet visit last night. No worms but my vet thinks with all the critters cruising thru my yard this year that there is a bacteria of some sort in my yard. I really need to get this under control because t hey are destroying my carpeting with the big D, and I am going on vacation

in 1 wk and I don't want my petsitter to have to deal with this. They are also on boiled chicken and brown rice, ugg what to do??? :blink:

If they tend to nibble on things when they go out in the yard, strict supervision or muzzles with stool cups.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Ours eat DIRT and tree bark, but, luckily, no Big D.

THE ONLY thing I know that kills bacterias totally is bleach. You can mix a 50/50 mixture of it, and spray their area. It should kill the bacteria, but, your grass too.

That is about all I can suggest.

Good Luck! I hate the Big D!

Guest kydie

That's a hard one, what ever would kill bacteria, other than white vinager and water, would be dangerous to the pups, and the vinager kills grass too, interested to see what is posted here

THE ONLY thing I know that kills bacterias totally is bleach. You can mix a 50/50 mixture of it, and spray their area. It should kill the bacteria, but, your grass too.

Actually I think a 1:10 bleach solution will do the job. Years ago that's what we used in the hospital to kill various stuff. Might be easier on the grass too.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest NickelCreeksMom

I use a bleach & water on the dogs area, but it's all gravel so there's no grass to worry about.

I use the ortho sprayer that attaches to the garden hose and do it when I know the dogs will be in the house for several hours

(like before I leave for work)..

Also, have you tried giving them probiotics to get some good bacteria into their body, that mightl help fight off the bad stuff

Edited by NickelCreeksMom

Guest Energy11

Actually I think a 1:10 bleach solution will do the job. Years ago that's what we used in the hospital to kill various stuff. Might be easier on the grass too.

We used to use a 50/50 to disinfect our ambulance, and I also used it in the kennel at my vets/employer in Florida. We'd use one of those Ortho sprayers, and it really worked well, but, we had GRAVEL, not grass, in our runs.

Whatever works, but, I think ANY bleach will kill the grass :-(((

What type of bacteria ? Did he culture the poop?

No treatment is likely to work if you have "other critters" using the yard for their toilet and leaving their poop out there and your dogs are walking through it.

You can try a little cooked oatmeal (5 minute type) in their food once a day. Also, think about adding yogurt (or probiotics) to their food.

You may also want to leash walk them if you think they are getting into something.

Muzzles with stool guard with definitely keep them from getting into anything in the yard. Mine all wear them when they're outside.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest sja5032

Bleach & water either in a sprayer or a watering can works well for a smaller area, If you let it dry completely before letting the dogs out it will be fine for them to walk on. I would go for 50:50 to be sure you kill everything but it will probably kill everything. Maybe take a look through home depot or lowes and see what they have for natural disinfectants that might save the grass.

Guest RocketDog

What about using white vinegar mixed with water? It's not going to be as harsh as the bleach, so the grass should survive but it should still keep the bacteria at bay. I use a sprayer attachment filled with 50/50 vinegar and water on the lawn once every few weeks to 'clean' the yard - my dogs eat their raw meals in the front yard - and as an added bonus the vinegar can help with any pee smell the grass might get.

Edited by RocketDog

Guest JarBear

I've used original Listerine and Dawn dish soap in the hose sprayer to clean and freshen the yard. Don't know if it will kill bacteria since I don't use a really strong mix but an added bonus is that the bugs don't seem to like it. Please don't ask me how much since I'm not a measurer, I just dump some in and start spraying.

Edited by JarBear

The Listerine formula I used to hear about was something like 2 gallons of water, 2 cups of Listerine (the brown Listerine), 2 tablespoons of Palmolive green (rather than Dawn). I've heard that it's fine for plants (the soap discourages bugs on roses, etc.), and it's safe for the dogs. (I've used the brown Listerine to wipe out water and food bowls after I've washed them, clean out muzzles periodically, stuff like that. And if a dog eats something nasty-smelling, I've dampened a cotton ball with Listerine and wiped around in the dog's mouth--not enough alcohol to be harmful to the dog.)

Also, muzzle the dogs for outings (as suggested earlier), and wipe their feet down when they come back in the house after an outing--in case the dogs are picking up nasties on their feet and then licking them when they tidy themselves up.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11

You know, on another thread, someone mentioned contacting the local Cooperative Extension Service/County Agent. They know all about these things, and could probably suggest a SAFE alternative for your disinfection. Good Luck!

Guest sja5032
Nolvasan is a god send. I became familiar with it in Herptoculture circles. You can buy the generic concentrate from a lot of pet supply places that will dilute down. It knocks out a lot of different biologicals as well as yeasts and fungus. It's quite useful and safe.

http://www.petvetsupply.com/dismfra001.html

I thought nolvasan was a big carcinogen?? I bought some for the kennel for cleaning cuts and stuff because the supply guy was out of iodine, and my boss called and told me to poor the whole thing down the drain immediately.

We use Hydrox at the child care centre I work at. It's not toxic to kids, and gentler to what it's sprayed on than bleach.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Nolvasan is a god send. I became familiar with it in Herptoculture circles. You can buy the generic concentrate from a lot of pet supply places that will dilute down. It knocks out a lot of different biologicals as well as yeasts and fungus. It's quite useful and safe.

I thought nolvasan was a big carcinogen?? I bought some for the kennel for cleaning cuts and stuff because the supply guy was out of iodine, and my boss called and told me to poor the whole thing down the drain immediately.

No - it's not listed as either a carcinogen or potential carcinogen, according to its MSDS sheets.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

That would be news to me. I just did a quick Google and couldn't really find anything. There was one post about someone using it for mouthwash :eek

Guest 2greysinPA

You might try calling Natural Lawn Care of America, they were helpful and pretty nice when we had questions about the orange rust colored fungus on our grass.

Maybe they could suggest something.

just a thought.

Guest greytloves

You may want to do a good mowing and bag the clippings, too. Maybe some fresh mulch in flower beds. Maybe remove anything that brings in critters such as bird feeds, squirrel feeds etc. What kind of critters get in your yard?

• 3 weeks later...
I've used original Listerine and Dawn dish soap in the hose sprayer to clean and freshen the yard. Don't know if it will kill bacteria since I don't use a really strong mix but an added bonus is that the bugs don't seem to like it. Please don't ask me how much since I'm not a measurer, I just dump some in and start spraying.

I used your idea Sunday. I used a Miracle Gro bottle with the hose attachment and sprayed the whole lawn and then concentrated on areas where there was diarrhea. I filled the bottle 3/4 full with listerine (the brown kind) and 3 squirts of Dawn.

So far, the grass is still alive and ohhhhh does the back yard smell fresh and clean! :colgate

Thank you!

This is one I use in the Spring and Summer as a tonic for the lawn. Jerry Baker has a book out and this is one of the recipes. Can't remember how much I use. I get off work at 2 p.m. PST and I have got his book at home. Will look it up and then post again. Heard Ivory dish soap works very well as the bugs don't like the taste.

Oh this is great information. I have printed it out to keep on hand if needed.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg