Broodies Need Breast Exams Too!

Like us gurls, female greyhounds can get breast cancer. For older gals who have not been spayed until later in life due to having puppies, increases the likihood of breast/ mammary tumors. 50% are benign. This is very treatable when caught early.

As most of you know, our sweet Elsie, age 10 - was recently diagnosed with "breast cancer". We did catch it early and although she has to have another surgery to remove more lumps, we expect a full recovery and a long and happy life together.

It is easy to check your broodies- take the nipples between your finger and roll the nipple between your fingers. If there is a lump- just have your vet check it out.

Just like for us, early detection is the key.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FrostyBottoms

I had no idea! I don't think Frostys are big enough for me to check....is it just broodies that need to be checked?

Very true! Remember that the mammary tissue extends quite a way out from the nipple itself. You need to use much the same techniques on your dogs as a woman does for herself. Feel the area around the nipple using fingertips and the flat of your hand, and just gently roll the skin over the underlying tissue. If there's a gritty feel, or you feel any actual lumpiness, get 'em checked out!

In the old days, we would sometimes not see mammary tumours until they were potato sized and hot to the touch - and sometimes ulcerated. Even then, the vets could sometimes take them off and extend the poor girl's life. But much better to catch them early!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Mama Alimony is going to wonder why I've suddenly gone all gropey on her. :lol

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest KennelMom

This should be part of a general exam given to all dogs on a regular basis...especially the girls, though. Good reminder :thumbs-up

Very true! Remember that the mammary tissue extends quite a way out from the nipple itself. You need to use much the same techniques on your dogs as a woman does for herself. Feel the area around the nipple using fingertips and the flat of your hand, and just gently roll the skin over the underlying tissue. If there's a gritty feel, or you feel any actual lumpiness, get 'em checked out!

In the old days, we would sometimes not see mammary tumours until they were potato sized and hot to the touch - and sometimes ulcerated. Even then, the vets could sometimes take them off and extend the poor girl's life. But much better to catch them early!

:nod

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Greyt advice Robin, but for those of us who have cats the same goes for them. If they were spayed young it is rarely a problem, but if it was never done or the cat was an older un-spayed rescue it would be good to check.

Now the hard part is that it might take two or more people to convince the cat to roll over for a brest exam. :D

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~