The Latest On Tattoo

Things aren't going very well for Tattoo. For those who may not remember, Tattoo is a 2 year old male hound who was taken in by GPA-Wisconsin last October. He has been very sick ever since. He was initially diagnosed with E-coli. When he didn't improve as expected with the treatment further tests were done. It was found that he had endocarditis. He had been taking assorted antibiotics for 6 months without getting rid of the infection. It was decided to send him to OSU about a month ago for further tests and treatment. While in Ohio he was a guest at my home, in between treatment sessions. He is such a special sweet boy. Each time we went into OSU he charmed the whole waiting room, along with all of the doctors there.

He had multiple biopsies. Cytology was done, cultures were done, and they even attempted to identify the infectious agent via DNA testing. No infectious agent could ever be found. The heart biopsy showed significant inflamation. It was decided that this week he would go back to OSU to have IV corticosteroids to suppress his immune system. He responded well during the first two days (this would be expected if it was an autoimmune disease causing his problems OR an infection). Well today his fever spiked to 104. Dr. Couto now feels it is clearly an unidentified infection causing his problems. He has been on many different antibiotics and in many different combinations to no avail. His joints swelled up again today. They tapped the joint and removed fluid. Cytology showed no "bugs". They are going to try again to grow a culture over the weekend.

Dr. Couto feels that he is running out of options. He has consulted with the best canine immunologists in the country. They have received blood and in some cases, the tissue from the biopsies. He has consulted daily with the immunologist at OSU Vet School. No-one can figure this out.

I am going to be praying all weekend that the culture grows some bugs that can be identified and that once identified, an effective treatment can be found. I fear that if this culture fails to grow any "bugs", there will be nothing more that the doctors can do. He is in a lot of pain and doesn't currently have a very good quality of life.

I was able to spend 2 hours today with Tattoo in the hospital. We just cuddled and he rested while I pet him. It is just such a sad situation.

Jane

Tattoo is one of the most special of boys, and holds a truly special place in my heart :( :( :( :( :(

I pray for him every day that what is ailing him can be found and treated :sad1 :sad1

continuing to send many prayers, and thank you for the update -- I was just checking on GPA before coming here :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Parsniptoast

My thoughts are with you and Tattoo... cuddle him lots and I hope that they find something so that they can treat him!

If they don't know at OSU it doesn't sound good. I'm a vet and this rarely happens. Some times in life there is no diagnosis. It's not something we as professionals want to hear but sometimes we simply don't have the answers. On a side note, that's one cool name, Tattoo. Prayers something will be identified this weekend.

Guest paulamariez

Poor sweet little Tattoo. The poor guy has suffered so much already, I wish they could just figure out what the bug is and give his tender heart the proper medication to take care of it. Sending Tattoo loads of healing prayers, love and light. And tons of healing doggie kisses from Tiger, Bueller and Domino. Get well Tattoo! Be strong and keep fighting! We are all here for you sending you strength and good healing thoughts.

Guest RebelGreys

Tattoo, you need to get better so you can come to the GPA-Wisconsin Gala and get lots of loving from everyone praying for you.

You are a very special of boy. :getwell:hope:hope

Guest TurnerMiller01

Lots of Prayers and white light for Tattoo... he has been thru so much for so long.. please... let him get thru this so he can make his way to his forever home. :getwell:hope:hope:candle:candle and the couch he so deserves.

Oh, the poor baby! He's so young and has been through so much.

Tattoo wil be in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest budsmom

This is so nt the news I wanted to hear. This poor little guy has been through so much and been such a fighter, I'm praying that they can figure out what's wrong.

Jane, you have been so wonderful for taking this little guy in and helping out, I can't begin to express how wonderful the people of GT are!!!!! Please give the little sweetie a hug for me, and tell him he's got tons of people here back home in WI pulling and praying for him :hope:hope