Hacking Cough/trying To Throw Up

I made a boo boo last weekend and don't know whether it requires a vet visit or not... I didn't realize Remy had his head out the window when I parked, and accidentaly closed the rear window on his neck... he freaked out and thrashed about trying to get his head out but it was wedged in... of course as soon as i realized it, i lowered the window and he got his head out, but he had broken the skin on top from trying to get out... anyway, that's healed nicely, but he has been hacking coughing/trying to throw up constantly since then... I don't know if I did more than possibly irritate his trachea, or something like that... it's been a week, and he is constantly doing this loud hacking cough and although he doesn't usually bring anything up, he did throw up clear liquid twice... I feel so stupid and worried... is this something that a vet can help with or will it go away on its own?

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest boondog

Personally, I would take him to the vet. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Please keep us updated and give Remy some scritches for me.

Guest Energy11

Yes, definitely, vet him, just to be safe. :-) Glad you have an appt. tomorrow. Might very well be an irritation.

Cari went through something similar about six months ago. She ate SOMETHING outside, and was swallowing hard, coughing, etc. Vet couldn't seen anything in her throat, and ended up putting her on something to ease the coughing, and I put her on canned food and yogert. In less than a week, she was back to normal. We attributed this to an irritation.

Good Luck!

Guest sheila

I understand not wanting to run off to the vet for every little thing. A good rule to follow is to ask yourself, 'If this was one of my kids (or myself) would I go to the DR?' If the answer is YES than the same applies to your dog.

REMY is fine!! Vet said he might have irritated the voice box, gave him some pills for suppressing the cough, but only took one before he stopped caughing!!! the pills were only to be taken if necessary... he's all better now!!!

Installed the doggie door this weekend... Remy's not too happy with it... he doesn't understand it's the key to freedom... not waiting for mom to let him out... what to do? tried enticing him with bones, toys, etc... tried pushing him thru... he won't push the flap with his nose... will only go thru while i hold the flap open for him.... but that's not how it works... my cat know how to use it... why doesn't Remy?

Guest Energy11

Glad she is okay, too! We had a homemade doggie door in Florida. Have one here we can install, but we don't trust them out alone, here in the mountains, even though I have a five foot fence in the first turnout pen.

Maybe she can follow the CAT throught the door? :-)) She will eventually learn it.

REMY is fine!! Vet said he might have irritated the voice box, gave him some pills for suppressing the cough, but only took one before he stopped caughing!!! the pills were only to be taken if necessary... he's all better now!!!

Installed the doggie door this weekend... Remy's not too happy with it... he doesn't understand it's the key to freedom... not waiting for mom to let him out... what to do? tried enticing him with bones, toys, etc... tried pushing him thru... he won't push the flap with his nose... will only go thru while i hold the flap open for him.... but that's not how it works... my cat know how to use it... why doesn't Remy?

is the flap see-through? sometimes, if they can't see what's on the other side, they won't go through it.

also, it sounds like you're allowing your cat to be outside with the dog? as a word of warning, greyhounds that are cat friendly inside are not generally that way outside. outside your cat may be treated like prey by your greyhound...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest MnMDogs

I'm glad he's ok. I did the same thing to my poor Mork man years ago. I still feel guilty about it, since I really did hurt him :( Most likely a bruised trachea according to the vet. To this day, he will not put his whole head out the car window...just the tip of his schnozz.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm glad Remy is okay!

I have a double flap dog door so it took some time to get Spencer to learn to use it. I used cheese as bait and would put him in the room with the dog door then go outside and push my hand through hold cheese to lure him outside. I have to be honest it took him forever! But I have had fosters that picked up on it right away. Finally Spencer was chasing Emmy and she bolted out the dog door and he followed all by himself. The stinker knew how to use it but just didn't want to.

I don't let the cat out unsupervised, by himself, or with Remy. I let him out yesterday, with Remy next to me the entire time, just so he could see how the doggie door works... i know about their predatory instinct, and would never put either of them in harm's way...

My german shep learned to use the doggie door in less than a whole day. my cat learned to use it all on his own... that little stinker... and it's been a hassle ever since... i don't want him outside unsupervised as he is declawed and much too freindly... he wouldn't know what to do if he was attacked by the many wild animals in my yard... so i keep him in his room during the day, giving the dog free use of the doggie door, but i lock it at night, so the cat can be out with the rest of us... he's used to it... it was that way for three years before my 12 yo german shep passed the rainbow bridge.... the door flap isn't quite see thru... it's that brownish plastic... i left it open for him and the cat in his room this morning... i hope he gets curious and tries to go out on his own... but he really isn't the sharpest tool in the tool shed, that Remy... he's afraid of EVERYTHING!!!

Remy is also traumatized by the window and will not stick his whole head out anymore... just his nose... awww :blush i still feel horrible about it.