Quiet, Depressed, Withdrawn

Guest Kate87

Guest Kate87

Our 2 year hound Fly has recently returned from a stay at a small boarding kennels whilest we were away on holiday. He was walked twice a day every day and recieved lots of fuss from the kennel owners throughout his stay. However, for the past few days since returning he has been quiet and withdrawn and seems depressed. He isnt interested in playing at all (not even with his favourite toys and balls) and doesnt want to go out in the garden. He is normally rough and tumble and full of energy, but he just doesnt seem interested in life. He is eating and drinking normally which I know is a good sign, and why I havnt taken him straight to the vets. He appears to have lost some weight whilst he was away, despite him having the same quantity and type of food that he normally has at home.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions in regards to what maight be wrong, or how I can cheer him up - he looks so sad!

Thanks,

Kate.

How many days? He might just be tired. Our angel whippet used to just sleep for 2-3 days after a kennel stay.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kydie

Maybe he is tired from his vacation too, maybe he misses the other dogs at the kennel, or maybe he needs vet check, whenever there is a big change in one of my pups. I take a visit to the vet, I can always find many things for them to check while I,m there to get my monies worth from the visit, you know, nail clip, anual galnds expressed, ear cleaning, besides what I really want to see them about. Good Luck

Guest Spencers_Greyt

That is pretty common behavior from dogs that have been on "vacation" in kennels. Fly will be fine - just keep up his regular routine and he will snap out of it. He was used to a different routine at the kennel and just needs to adjust again.

We board our greys about twice a year and truly love the kennel we use. They really spoil our guys and I know they get great care. However, they ALWAYS act just as yours is doing. They are so quite and mellow. I think its because they are so glad and relaxed to be home ! after all, the kennel is a lot more busy than home. They have to listen to all the other dogs barking, romping. playing it has to be exhausting ! My guys are use to their daily naps and I know they don't get them at the kennel.

It takes about a week till ours are really back to normal and that includes all the special goodies we give them out of guilt for leaving them. I think your guy will be okay, just needs time to readjust. :)

Guest Kate87

Thanks guys, it was the first time he has had to go into kennels since we adopted him from the rescue centre in November. We collected him on Saturday night and its Thursday now so yes I think he might just be taking a while to get back into the swing of things. He was a stray found on the streets before we rescued him, and is underneath the playfulness quite a sensitive soul it appears! Thanks for your words of wisdom, I will most certainly keep an eye on him and maybe if he is still down after the weekend take him for check-up.

Thanks again.

Guest paulamariez

Whenever we boarded our greys, we got the cold shoulder when we came home! They acted like they were actually PO'd that we had the nerve to leave them at the kennel! One of our hounds wouldn't even LOOK at us the first day, until they finally forgave us in a couple days, then they got back to their normal selves. Give your Fly guy a hug and kiss for me! He'll be fine! Just keep his normal routine up and he'll be back to his old self in no time.

Guest Greensleeves

Another vote for "just tired!" Our kennel is fantastic, and the whole pack goes to daycare all day, which is *constant* moving around and playing, way more than they're used to in everyday life. They come home and *sleep* for days. I find it quite nice, actually! :lol

That said, one or two of ours *always* overdo it, get too excited, and work themselves up so much that they come down with a mild bug afterward. It's possible he picked something up (like kids at daycare), so if he's showing any other symptoms, you might have him checked out.

Good luck!

Guest trevdog

I think he's tired too or maybe he enjoyed all the playtime and misses it. They can lose a few pounds there due to all the activity and sometimes they are too excited to eat all their meals....my guys have done all of these things. I'd give him a few more days, but if he's not back to normal in a few more days, I'd get him checked out.

I just picked up Rocket this afternoon after a week of boarding. He gets turned out 5-6 times a day with several other greys and has acres of fenced land to run on there. They told me that he went running with 2 of the other dogs every time they went outside.

He came home exhausted. I fed him his dinner, and he went straight to bed afterward. He has a huge grin on his face, so I know that he is zonked and in a deep sleep. It will take him a few days to get back to his normal routine. If I didn't know that he was tired, I would describe his behavior almost exactly as you are describing.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia has never been in a kennal but she has spent time with sitters. The first time I left her I was worried about if she wanted to even come home. The sitter related a story about her first time boarding one of her dogs and he seemed actually mad he had to come home. She was setting me up for the same thing you ran into. Leia didn't come home "mad" but she did sleep almost 4 days straight,,catching up from all the activity. I would say you have no worries.

Aside from Fly needing to recover from his "vacation," if you're fussing over him and spoiling him now that he's home, he might just decide to milk your guilt for all it's worth! :)

Of course, there's nothing wrong with your guilt being worth "a lot" in terms of treats and hugs and kisses...

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Chances are that he might just be re-adjusting to being back home again or as someone earlier noted, he might just be sulking.

Having said this though, I would probably reconsider bringing my dog back there again if he is acting like this after the boarding. Most boarding places are good but, there are some out there that don't treat dogs well and greyhounds being so sensitive might be more traumatized than other dogs.

Have you considered calling the kennel and asking them if anything unusual happened with his stay?

Guest remarvin

This happened to us the first time we left the husky at the kennel for vacation. She was "mad" at us and took about a week to get back to herself. Hopefully Fly will recover once he realizes you did not try to abandon him.

ETA: I forgot to mention that we brought her to a differnet kennel the next time we had to leave her and she was much better afterwards.

Edited by remarvin

Guest Flysmom

Thinking tired and may be missing all the 'action' from the Kennel. Hope he will be his normal self soon!

BTW: my heart skipped when I saw his name - my hearthounds name was Fly!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate87

Just an update - Fly seems to be completly back to normal now. It took a good week for him to feel like playing and being silly again, but he is back to his normal fun (and naughty) self, evidenced by him killing a bird and digging a nice big hole in the garden at the weekend! Thanks for all the advice, I do think that he was tired out, and also that the change in his routine affected him. What a sensitive soul!

Thanks again!